All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 04:49 

Are you human?: YES
Here's a site that will help with computer problems - Mac, Win, or Linux

http://forums.cnet.com/mac-forums/mac-os-x-forum/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 05:35 

O.K., so I'm working away on my iMac reading posts like this one.

1st line of defense - even on a Mac ( actually any computer linked to the world ) you should NOT be using your Administrator account to browse the Web. Set up a personal account to do that and use the Administrator just to ADMINISTER YOUR COMPUTER - like installing programs, settings, etc.

2nd line of defense - Buy a HARDWARE ROUTER that is FIREWALL capable ( better than a software firewall) and insert it between your computer and your Modem. Make sure and WRITE DOWN all of the settings. You will need to supply a home style IP ADDRESS (they start with, or rather are similar to this - 192.168.1.1 ). You will also be setting up an ID and a P/W for the Router. Sounds complicated, but, if you follow the written instructions you should be O.K., especially if you take it slow and WRITE DOWN everything you have to input to set up the Router/Firewall.

3rd line of defense - Clean up your SYSTEM and do a BACKUP regularly.

Then, when you get calls like those ask to speak to a Supervisor and when you get that one ask for that person's Supervisor. When it gets to a stopping point ask for the name and address of the President of their company because you want to write him a letter. That usually takes you OFF of their call list!

Good Luck!

OH! I forgot! Here's a good link for help with your computer problems - Mac, Win, & Linux.

http://forums.cnet.com/mac-forums/mac-os-x-forum/

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 06:46 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: yes
I have several times set people up with user-level accounts on their PC's precisely because they were getting into trouble. Without exception every one of them stopped using the User account and started using the Admin account because it was 'too much trouble' to keep logging out and in when they wanted to install something.

Without exception I'd find viruses and other malware as soon as I booted to an Antivirus CD. :lol:

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 11:24 

Charlie, are you actually going to Youtube or are you viewing Youtube videos through Yahoo or some other website. I know this seems obvious but who knows. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 16:43 

Yea I just go to youtube. Or, if I was reading through a thread that had a youtube vid on it, the thread would lag as I scrolled down it.

I havnt had a chance to clean up my Mac yet, which it is way overdue for.. but strangely it has seemed to come good. Our internet service in outback Kalgoorlie can be a bit dodgey sometimes so maybe that was it.

Im going to back up everything and do a full clean up tomorro....no no, prob monday. :D :drunken:

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 16:49 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: Yep
Do you do all your regular updates?

Often if there is an issue with Ubuntu, the next time you update it's fixed.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '13, 17:33 

Hmmm, I do. But, its possible Mrs Charlie ignores them from time to time. Neither of us a very computer savvy unfortunately.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '13, 19:47 

Hey peeps.

Im finding my crap box Mac a little frustrating.

I want to do a back up and full install or at least some kind of clean up but Ive got no idea how to do this. Ive done a little bit of googling around but I want to make sure I understand the process before I go forward. From my understanding I can use time machine to back everything up. Im assuming I can connect an external hardrive and it will save all the important stuff to this? Then I need to restore everything? How can I make sure all the important photos and stuff are safe?

Im a complete rooky on this bugger of a thing so any help will be appreciated or a link to somewhere trustworthy.

Thanks

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '13, 21:02 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Time machine is amazing.

Seriously all you need to do is hook up an external drive, go into system preferences and turn time machine on.

It will then back up everything, every hour.

To test it, go into "enter time machine" and see that your files are there. Trust me it will all be backed up, files, mail, applications, photos, the lot.

Now when you start again on a new computer or fresh install, you will be asked if you have a time machine backup. "Why Yes Indeed" you click, and everything, and I do mean everything, will be restored.

It truly is nothing short of incredible.

My chooks

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '13, 22:15 

I understand the enthusiasm (I share it for cloud stuff), but wouldn't you think a program that backs up everything that isn't operating system and applications would be the second thing that would be developed after the operating system. It's funny that we (and I include me here) think normal practical stuff is amazing.

If I opened a carton of milk, and it opened as I thought it should, I'd just drink it, not be amazed and then drink it. I think we (and I really do include me here) have been sold a bit of an illusion, and swallowed it with everything we have.

If I was responsible for any of the operating systems I've used (mac, ms dos, dr dos, ms windows(etc), linux(etc)) I would be buying tickets to a country that doesn't do extradition just out of embarrassment. Do they do extradition for embarrassment?

Heᕐe ᐃᔅ ᐊ ᒐᔅe ᐃᓐ ᐳᐃᓐᑦ.

OK, THIS IS REALLY FUNNY, BUT AS OF THIS MOMENT ᐃ CAN ONLY TYPE IN CAPITALS :) ᑦHE PREVIOUS LINE READ "HERE IS A CASE IN POINT". WHEN ᐃ TYPE THESE LINES AGAIN WITH OUT CAPS LOCK ON, I GET...

OK, ᑦᓯᔅ ᐃᔅ ᕐeᐊᓪᓪᔾ ᕗᓐᓐᔾ, bᐅᑦ ᐊᔅ ᐅᕝ ᑦᓯᔅ ᒧᒻeᓐᑦ I ᒐᓐ ᐅᓐᓪᔾ ᑦᔾᑉe ᐃᓐ ᒐᐱᑕᓪᔅ :) Tᔅe ᑉᕐeᕕᐅᐅᔅ ᓕᓐe ᕐeᐊd "ᔅeᕐe ᐃᔅ ᐊ ᒐᔅe ᐃᓐ ᐳᐃᓐᑦ", wᔅeᓐ I ᑦᔾᑉe ᑦᔅeᔅe ᐊᒐᐃᓐ wᐃᑦᓱᐅᑦ ᒐᑉᔅ ᓗᒡᒃ ᐅᓐ, I ᒡeᑦ...

Reᐊᓪᓪᔾ ᕗᒡᑭᓐᒡ ᕗᓐᓐᔾ. I ᔅweᐊᕐ I dᐃdᓐᑦ ᔅeᑦ ᑦᓯᔅ ᐅᑉ :)

I ᒍᐅᓪdᓐᑦ ᓴᕝe ᔅᑕᒡed ᐃᑦ beᑦᑦeᕐ :)

THIS IS DOING NOTHING FOR MY PARANOIA :) (RE-BOOTING - BRB)

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Mar 19th, '13, 22:17 

ᑦHAT REALLY HAPPENED !

ᐃ'M NOT FAKING THIS STUFF :)

HALF WAY THROUGH, MY TYPING TURNED TO NONSENSE :)

NOBODY IS EVER GOING TO BELIEVE THIS :)

My system

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 05:46 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Lol

That is really funny :-)

I think you might have offended the little penguins.

I know what you mean about backup being an essential part of an OS. Perhaps it'd more a case of everyone thinking that having a reliable, full backup system that's easy to set up by grandma was totally impossible. So everyone just accepts it as so. Until a company quietly rolls out just such a system...

My chooks

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 09:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
You know, strangely enough after too many years dealing with computers as part of my work, I'm incredibly slack with my backing up.. I never back up any of my home computers, ever.. Never have... Yeah I've lost a few things along the way... The last time I bought a new puter I stuck my old one to one side thinking "rioght, I'll get all the stuff I need off it and transfer it over to the new puter.. It has sat there for 2 years now and I think I only ever started it once to get something off it.. :dontknow:

Work stuff is a bit different though... And I'd better go do another back up now... :oops:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 10:04 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
BullwinkleII wrote:
I understand the enthusiasm (I share it for cloud stuff), but wouldn't you think a program that backs up everything that isn't operating system and applications would be the second thing that would be developed after the operating system. It's funny that we (and I include me here) think normal practical stuff is amazing.

No, because atleast back when programming was less sophisticated (harder), they would have backed up all your virii too, most people only format because they were silly enough to get a virus.

im like you EB, too many years of computer use, too many hours stuffing around at the start, too many little virus' that dont harm anything really leaves one not bothering, i dont run an antivirus, i only run a firewall because defender is included and seems ok. If you know what not to touch you dont have problems..... generally.
Then again i used to format every few months to keep my machines in peak condition, it all gets too much and not worth it.

PostPosted: Mar 20th, '13, 15:36 

I successfuly backed up my mac last night and it was very simple and easy.

Now a clean up or reboot is in order... this Im a little more scared of.

~Backyard farming~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next