All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 28th, '16, 12:13 

Are you human?: Yes
Hello
I'm setting up I have a 500L tank with perch, I have a submersible pond pump, of which I intend to use in a sump tank once I am set up.

I have a digital cycle timer, which was recommended on these forms (see the picture below). It looks good, was very easy to set to intervals of 15/45 (found on AliExpress for 220).

I am trying to work out how to install it. I envision getting a pair of male/female power points(/plugs) and connecting them to the contacts on the back. And then bridging the timer between the power source and the pump power point/ or plug.

At the moment my pump is running 24/7. Does anyone know where I go from here?

Attachments:
timer.jpg
timer.jpg [ 52.64 KiB | Viewed 3882 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 28th, '16, 13:45 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
biggest risk with a digital timer is what backup battery it has. Else your system becomes uncontrolled after a power outage if it resets. I would have thought (around this forum particularly) that people would be saying go for a mechanical timer. Then if you get a power stop it just restarts where it left off - time might be out but the system basically keeps operating.

in terms of setting up most people would run power from an outside point via a heavy duty outdoor rated extension lead of required length (10-30m etc) to somewhere near their fish tanks. Usually have a plastic box or something to help keep timer dry and out of sun. Then simply plug in your normal pump plug (most pumps have about 10m of cable) to the timer.

Not sure if your timer fits that bill but that is basically what most people would do for a simple system setup. Gets more complicated if you have lots of things to plug in - you would need a heavy duty power board and maybe multiple timers.

[edit] if you need female rather than male on pump cord it would be better to get an electrician to rewire your pump plug than use too many adapters IMO. Strange that the timer does that - usually mains in is male and out female so you just plug and play. Rewiring pump cord can affect your warranty....

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Jul 28th, '16, 13:56 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
I'm using a few of these, the one running the 230V pump has 230V across the 2 power terminals and the active across the 2 timer terminals so that the active is switched, all enclosed in a waterproof box that needs a screwdriver to undo. Insulated utilux plugs were used and other connections done with proper 15A electrical connectors, and sealed in electrical tape. Short M and F leads come out of the box via waterproof gland nuts, so it is plug and play. If you are unsure about how to connect it, and legally, you should get an electrician to do it for you, 230V is dangerous!

I have to reduce the time by a few seconds under the required interval, ie currently 7m 30 sec on, 52m 28s off, otherwise it loses time. Don't believe their claimed timer accuracy!
The inbuilt battery means that it keeps time when the power is off, but it wont switch anything unless it is supplied with power- 12VDC or 230VAC. In the past we have found the mechanical timers where you press down a segment for a 15 min on interval to be quite unreliable, such that I'd never use one on an AP system.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

Last edited by Gunagulla on Jul 28th, '16, 14:25, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul 28th, '16, 14:20 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Thanks Guna - retract my last..... and/or apply the comment to cheap Walmart type digital timers.#

Quote:
Insulated utilux plugs were used and other connections done with proper 15A electrical connectors, and sealed in electrical tape. Short M and FI leads come out of the box via waterproof gland nuts, so it is plug and play.If you are unsure about how to connect it, and legally, you should get an electrician to do it for you, 230V is dangerous!

that makes much more sense.

# having said that I have a electrician installed digital wall timer (switch replacement for outdoor lights) that cost $100 plus that is a piece of crap because it resets after outages (backup is less than 10 mins).

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....