All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '16, 08:36 

Are you human?: Yes
hi guys,

my name is louis, and im trying to figure out if i have enough to power my aquaponics system... Ill be running a 35watt air pump and a 44watt air pump .....I have a renogy 100w panel, mppt solar controller, but i need a deep cycle battery just not sure on the size, or if the one panel will be enough. i dont want the fish to die.......SO what im asking for is: will the one panel be enough, and what size battery do i need? thank you guys!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '16, 12:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: yes
You will need a larger panel at least 250watt Id figure if not more.
35+44= 79watt meaning only 20watt to charge the battery in ideal conditions. It wouldnt be enough to survive overnight. Dont forget to factor in efficiency loss.

PostPosted: Nov 14th, '16, 14:17 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
A100W PV panel will generally only put out about 80% of its rating during warm sunny weather, when the sun is near face-on, which it isn't most of the time. In any case, you are going about the calculations in the wrong way.
You need to calculate your total energy demand per day, and allow for inefficiencies, panel shading, direction and tilt of the mounting etc. I don't know what your annual global solar radiation is there, but let's say it is 4kWh/m^2/day, which would mean you could expect an average of 400Wh energy from your panel each day at best. That's the long term average, summer will generally higher, and winter lower. In winter that GSR value might only be 2.5kWh/m^2/day, so you could only expect to average 250Wh per day. You may get say up to 5 mostly overcast days in a row, so your battery would need enough storage for about 8 days if you don't want to discharge any more than 50% except occasionally- I'm assuming you want the battery to last at least a few years!
You are talking about an 80W continuous load, (since you don't say otherwise, I'll assume you are using 12VDC pumps, you'll need a lot more energy and storage if using an inverter, so in winter your 100W panel will on average run your system for ~3 hours/day, and if you had say a 100AH 12V battery, it would be pretty much dead flat by morning. If it was cloudy the next day, your fish will be starting to suffer, and may be dead a day or 2 later!
You need to look at getting a lot more panels, and much, much larger battery than 100AH, or only running your pump part time.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com