All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Blending the harvest.
PostPosted: Jan 7th, '15, 14:15 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: I think, I am. Yes
Not sure if this is the best place to insert this, but it does relate to using the produce from our systems. Please move if there is somewhere more appropriate.
I imagine there are many AP enthusiasts who have discovered the joy of blending their produce with various other ingredients to make tasty and nutritious meals.
I have been wondering what to do with my way too much bounty. I have been giving it to family and friends while knowing I should be able to use more of it myself. It wasn't until a friend introduced me to leafy green smoothies that I realised I had discovered a solution.
Next step is to get a decent blender that can handle the fibrous foods I am growing. I have done my research and found that the basic blender won't last long ploughing through kale, celery etc daily. I'm favouring, for Australia, the Optimum 9400 @ $479 or the Ladyship LS 658 @ $329. I don't think I can afford the Blendtecs or Vitamixs of the world.
So...
Does anyone have any blender recommendations (looking for positives, not venting about dud experiences) and, do you have any recipes you have found put a smile on your dial and a rose in your cheeks?
Thank you for sharing.

I suppose I should get the ball rolling with the recipe that got me interested in blending.

4 x silverbeet leaves
small sprig of parsley
banana
apple
1/4 pineapple
large glass of water
Pulse for 5-10 seconds, blend for about 50 seconds.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 26th, '15, 18:56 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
We have been using bullet mixers for years ..
No, not the stupid ones on TV.. just the thirty dollar knock offs.. from the two dollar shop..

But... with the proviso that you keep some sewing machine oil handy... and some pliers..
Pull the cutter appart every few weeks and add a drop of oil.
Trust me... it's worth the effort

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '15, 07:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
For juicing I have an Oscar900 with 200W motor, or for serious blending, a Kitchenaid Artisan with a 550W motor. Both of them work very well and I have no complaints.

I use the blender when making soups with lots of veg such as celery, but use the Oscar when making juice, it removes quite a bit of the fibre, some of which I usually eat anyway.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Jan 27th, '15, 20:51 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: homo aquaponicus
Hi TeeCeeKay

I know it may sound a bit agricultural but i bought a hand cranked cold press juicer on fleabay for ~ $50.

I bought it to "experience" juicing/blending before i buy something more costly. I am still using it more than a year later,

Gabe

"The only difference between me and a madman is I'm not mad"

PostPosted: Jan 29th, '15, 10:45 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: I think, I am. Yes
Quote:
Pull the cutter appart every few weeks and add a drop of oil.

I'm not sure I have the patience to be pulling a blender apart to keep it going, not to mention my concern about having a bit of oil flavouring.posting.php?mode=reply&f=53&t=23970#

I admire your dedication. But I now understand why you are so committed.

I made the leap and purchased a blender. It's been fun reducing the AP veggies down to something that slides easily down the throat. The trick is making just enough to nosh immediately. Also, coming up with blends that are tasty while also being pleasant on the eye can be tricky. I made a blend the other morning that made us all look at the ceiling while consuming. I won't put anyone off their vegemite sandwich by describing what it looked like.

The point is, my family is now using our AP produce more and, by filling ourselves up with the greens, we have avoided putting some over-processed, over-priced goop into us that wouldn't do us as much good. Winners are grinners. :thumbright:

Quote:
I know it may sound a bit agricultural but i bought a hand cranked cold press juicer on fleabay for ~ $50.

I believe that cold press juicers are the way to go if you are going to go juicer - temperatures are kept down during processing of the food so there is reduced loss of nutrients.

Because I have only just started this caper with the blender, I will stick with just that for now. I want to get as much of the fibre with the nutrients as possible so that digestion is slowed and blood sugar control is greater. I bought a powerful blender that takes the celery fibre and rips it right down to silkiness. Admittedly, I do cut the celery down to around 7-8cm (3") lengths before whacking it in.

Quote:
I use the blender when making soups with lots of veg such as celery...

It's been hovering around the mid to high 30's celcius here and the thought of sipping on a hot cuppa soup is just not hitting it for me at the moment. However, come winter, I am looking forward to allowing the blender to have its way on a number of vegetables that seem to grow well in the grow bed - leeks, spring onion, garlic and celery come to mind - and enjoy them soupified.

Again, though, I reckon tried and true recipes will be the difference between something added to the garden bed and something that is added to the worn pages of the family heirloom recipe book.

Here's one that my wife and I didn't mind having a few mornings ago.

2 sliced pineapple rings
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup diced mango
1 tablespoon linseed
2 tablespoons dessicated or shredded coconut
2 tablespoons chia seeds
2 large silverbeet
2 large parsley sprigs
1 medium stick of celery with leaves.
6 icecubes.

First put in the liquid and juicy ingredients, then the seeds followed by the greens.

I gave it a good minute of blending before adding the icecubes and finishing it off for another 15 to 20 seconds.

I have tried this mix with the chia seeds blended and with it added after - I preferred it blended as it smoothed the dessicated coconut past being felt as you drank it.

WARNING - If you make this, you will find there is a days worth of food drink for two people - too much. So it will need adjusting. I'm still learning.