All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Fish n chips
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '16, 16:57 

Are you human?: yes
I love my fish n chips... Had my first trout for the year last night as Fish and chips. They are looking nice and fat and went down well. This is my recipe for the perfect fish and chips, its tried and tested several times a week for many years. every one loves it.

First the chips;

I use the red skin but white flesh sweet potato. Cut the chips into about 8mm even as you can so they cook the same speed. Thinner bits will blacken because of the sugar content. I air dry them for an hour or so then lightly coat with olive oil.

Pre heat oven to 190C and cook on a baking tray, spreading them even so they are separated so they cook even and crunch up on all sides.

Mean while I have the fish organized and ready to cook. Soon as the chips start to brown I heat the oil and get stuck into cooking the fish. so they are both ready at the same time.

For the batter I keep it simple, it works out very crunchy and seals in the fish juices.

Just cold water in SR flour till you get a runny mixture that just coats a spoon. then add some ice blocks and leave in fridge till ready to cook. The batter must be cold for best results.

I dust the fish in Plain flour just before dipping in the batter. Make sure you get the two flours right.

I cook in vegetable oil in a wok making the oil deep enough to cover the fish about 750 ml. You can reuse the oil.

Using a laser infrared thermometer makes getting it right easy, you can buy them for less than $10.

Once the chips just start to turn colour.... I heat the oil till it gets to 210-220C, no less before adding the fish. Only cooking in small batches so the oil does not cool to much after adding the fish don't crowd the wok and always check the oil temps before adding new batches. Just turn the fish once cook each side till the batter browns.

As you cook the batches set them on a cake rack and put on top of wok between turning the fish so the cooked fish drips well and stays warm and crunchy.

By the time I have cooked 2 -3 batches the chips are crunchy and everything is ready to serve. :thumbright:

Attachments:
IMGP0112 (900x666).jpg
IMGP0112 (900x666).jpg [ 313.62 KiB | Viewed 2576 times ]
    Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Fish n chips
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '16, 18:41 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
Yum OA,

what size/weight do you harvest the trout?
what size are the chunks/strips of fish when you cook em?
do you use spray oil on the chips?

Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

Post subject: Re: Fish n chips
PostPosted: Oct 8th, '16, 19:54 

Are you human?: yes
That fish was 700g enough for me and the misses, with a couple of crab sticks and the chips. Harvest is a preference thing you can eat them pretty much from 300g. Good to do so if you want to thin them out if you stock heavy with fingerlings. Fresh is always better than frozen, so i start to eat them from now rather than harvest them all at once and freeze them down for latter.

I don't worry so much the size of the fish more so thickness, that one was fine just done as two fillets. Any bigger and I would break up the fillets into smaller bits.

Big fish I would slice the fillets thinner if they start getting more than 15mm in thickness.

For the chips I use extra virgin olive oil. I make a stack to air dry them, next time i will take a pic to explain better and post here. When oiling them I poor over the stack then toss and spread chips over the baking tray.