All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Need to build a tank
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '10, 18:04 

Does anyone have any idea on how to build a wooden framed tank with rubber pond liner.. I only need a small one like say 200Ltr.. I have been looking for containers this size that would support the weight of the water indefinately and have found that whats available is above my price range.

any help is as always very much appreciated.

Thank you

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Need to build a tank
PostPosted: Sep 13th, '10, 18:26 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: After Beer
Hiya

The Blue Barrels are 200 litres and sell very cheaply second hand. They are available from most salvage yards. Just try and make sure they have been cleaned or have had products not harmfull to fish.

PostPosted: Sep 13th, '10, 20:32 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: salmonid
the rubberpond liner is very expensive, EPDM is the grade used, iv been through it all before building tanks and lineing them... i found it expencive for a not so stable outcome.

wooden frames can rot, and collapse, man users on here use them and some have had sucess, if you search around for it you will find some ideas.

20mm marine ply would be a benchmark to use, you would need to brace it. then line it, then plumb it.

For 200l of FT i agree with shaker, i used 200l barrels when i first started out, now use them as my sumps, there cheap, versitile, UV Stabilised and resistant and easy to plumb.

another cheap method could be an old bath, Recovery yards, hard rubbish and Renovators yards are the best places to source second hand items to use in AP.

Stay away from Steel items, Transperant plastic containers and Chemical containers.

IBC Tanks are redily available also and cheap, although you have to cover them as they are transperant. 1000L for $80-$180 you can cut them in half to give you tank and GB etc, they have a nice pallet frame to hold them iv got a 700l one sitting 700mm off the ground works well.

hope iv helped a little, iv used many things and Found IBC Tanks, Barrells and Fibreglass baths to be thebest items for price, usability and availablity.

Jamey.

PostPosted: Sep 13th, '10, 20:33 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Depends
Well I think for 200L after you factor in the wood and the pond liner, I think you are better off buying something like shaker recommended, a blue barrel or go on gumtree or similar and see if someone has an old pond they want to get rid or sell.

My 3rd Future System - Expanding Now

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 02:40 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Not anymore
A barrel or a bath would be a better idea, and if you're lucky you might even get it for free!

Plumbing through a liner I imagine would be a nightmare, and for such a small tank I doubt if it would be worth the plumbing/removing creases blues of it. Would also cost a bit. Some people are using this setup but I remember TCL posting somewhere about termites being a major problem with such tanks, if you have pond liner then why not use it to line a metal cage made of pipes or some strong grating.

Also, lots of things will hold water, though not indefinitely, even aquariums break. I'm using a plastic packing crate that holds about 70 Liters, I now have three of them, one as a fish tank, one as a sump and one as a GB, just set up the GB one today :D

That size you can even get an aquarium, have you looked at those?

Even with an aquarium in mind I would advise that a rule that we use for props be followed, beg, borrow or steal. Usually it gets the job done ;]

Note: The rule used to be beg, borrow or buy, it has been changed and the amendment has proven most successful. Warranty will be void if pre-amendment rules are applied.

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 07:50 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
There are lots of wood that you can use that are rot resistant that would be suitable but for a 200L tank why would you bother. Did you mean 2000L?

Many australian hardwoods are rot resistant and since the wood should not be getting wet they will last for ages. You can also try a number of different types of cypress but be aware that there are many different types and not all of them are rot resistant.

As far as I'm concerned the premium product is Californian Redwood. Light weight, rot resistant (same durability class and red gum) and most importantly it does not splinter so that the chance of it causing problems with the liner is almost non existent.

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 08:12 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
200litre blue barrel about $40
200litre tubs at B about $150
500litre bins at B about $100
2000litre stock trough from google $600

In each case, it would cost more to make from wood and liner.

Proper pond liner is quite expensive.

System at my olds (deprecated)

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 09:10 

Wow, you lot are quick to reply.. Thanx btw....
Yes I did mean 200 Litres (not 2000).. thing is I have a very big goldfish. At the moment he is in a 60Ltr storage box that is 3/4 full.. it is big enough at the moment for him, but I am going to be putting more fish in and thought a bigger home would be a good idea as he is quite aggressive and needs his space.. (I got him when he was as big as my pinkie fingernail.).. and of course eventually I would like to setup a growbed.. This contraption would go on my patio which is undercover, but not enclosed..

I would just like to thank you all for your replies, you have given me something to think about, and I think I will look in to getting some of those blue barrels.. :headbang:

Thanks again..
Cheers

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 09:33 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: salmonid
abdul wrote:

Even with an aquarium in mind I would advise that a rule that we use for props be followed, beg, borrow or steal. Usually it gets the job done ;]

Note: The rule used to be beg, borrow or buy, it has been changed and the amendment has proven most successful. Warranty will be void if pre-amendment rules are applied.

Theres a fine line Between Borrowing and Stealing :think: :think:

I Borrowed a Power Saw From my dads Shed 12 Years ago without telling him...... he only noticed it at my place last weekend, when i was quizzed i said Oh yeah i borrowed it years ago... he replied you stole it, i then replied no dad you can have it back if you want.... he replied No thanks i brought a new one 10 years ago....

Also is it stealing when no one wants the item??? or notices it missing?? :)

Bawahahahaahah :laughing3:

Jamey.

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '10, 11:01 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Not anymore
Both sides of the line are covered by the rule, and its not stealing until they manage to make a video of you in the act ;] Even in such extreme cases on can fall back to denying everything, accepting nothing, and making counter accusations :twisted:

My rooftop systems
My YouTube channel
My Amazing Adventures!

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '11, 19:46 

Jamey wrote:
IBC Tanks are redily available also and cheap, although you have to cover them as they are transperant. 1000L for $80-$180 you can cut them in half to give you tank and GB etc, they have a nice pallet frame to hold them iv got a 700l one sitting 700mm off the ground works well.

Can you tell me how you cover them? I've been using the 200l bunnings tubs (the black one's which they've apparently dropped from their product list) and haven't needed a cover.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '11, 19:54 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: mostly
PeterJ wrote:
Jamey wrote:

Can you tell me how you cover them? I've been using the 200l bunnings tubs (the black one's which they've apparently dropped from their product list) and haven't needed a cover.

Peter, come and have a look at what I've done with my IBC and Megabin if you like. I'm at Mt Crosby.
Give me a PM and I will give you the Address etc.

Cheers IanK

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '11, 20:09 

Thanks for the offer Ian, much appreciated, but with 5 kids to keep up with I don't get out much at the moment.

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '11, 20:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: mostly
Thats OK. I post a couple of up to date pictures tomorrow!
I don't mind if you bring the kids! We ( Margaret and I) have a few acres of garden for them to run around in, plus the Chooks, the Dobbie (who loves the Grandkids!), the Gold fish, the birds (Friendly King Parrots, Lorikeets etc), the creek on the Scout Camp, etc. etc..
Cheers IanK :wave1:

PostPosted: Feb 8th, '11, 20:18 

With 5 kids Pete... you need to get out... :mrgreen:

Fresh By Nature - Distributor of Aquaponic Systems and Products in NSW
http://www.freshbynature.com.au