All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '11, 09:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
RupertofOZ wrote:
MasterSpoon wrote:
The single most frustrating thing with my build as it is out of the ordinary is the limited availability of useful components, these tank companies have the ability to build the products that we want, I have even spoken to a few and they are willing to produce aquaponics specific products if we can show them that they will sell.

There are already two dedicated suppliers of extraordinarily good proven aquaponic kit systems in Australia... both backed by real aquaponics experience... and understanding of aquaponic principles...

Most of the "tank companies"... while no doubt perfectly good rotomoulders... have zero aquaponics experience... and the same amount of understanding of aquaponic principles...

I've no doubt that many more will design "aquaponic system" components... as they're aware that a potential market exists..... and many have already done so... regardless of whether or not they have determined a real market....

Their interest is primarily, and solely... a "sale"... not the advancement of "aquaponics".... they're basically "box movers"... and their complete lack of experience is/will be reflected in either their designs... orand/or their lack of ability to support their products...

The "Bundy" planter has been around for a while... the "Basix" model is relatively new... and there are several others.... sure, they'll work... but they're limited....

As to having spoken to various manufacturers about designing products, which I suspected might have been the case... please be mindful that this forum, and the other Australian forum, are both hosted by the suppliers of the respective aquaponic systems and components... and curtesy would suggest that "advertising"... or "referencing" competitve products should be kept to a minimum... :wink:

I know this is a bit of a long thread But I wanted to say that unfortunatley it was my mistake by getting Bundy Tanks involved with aquaponics.... If I didnt like their tanks so much... They had these back in 2008 and I bought 5 of them and they through the 6th one in for free... OVER TIME Steve and i chatted about what would make them better.... and Wholla here they are .... I was selling the Clay balls to them to resell with their tanks for 2 years.... Yes Rupe they have the machinery to make what ever they want and in the Market where a TANKful of Tank makers went out of business some have diversified into other markets.... YES i had a problem with them Stopping buying Clay off me and making their system ..BUT IN REALITY they arent a bad price AND they are promoting Aquaponics so therefore everyone that buys someones elses system will ALWAYS COME TO THIS SITE..... JOEL started the seed in mostly Everyones head i would say so we all have loyalty and well wishes for him to make some money out of ALL THE EFFORT he has done ..... I know I didnt buy a system off him as the cost of freight all the way over here would have blown out so just like many others we try to get stuff we need as close as possible.....

I bought most of my tanks off of Duraplas which manufactures all the Aquaculture tanks for Aquasonics( the fiberglass ones with the seethrough sides)... And they brought up a full truck for me... So WE ALL buy stuff ALL OVER THE PLACE but we still try to help joel out where we can....

THERE has been a lot of people trying to push their own stuff on this site, some no longer on here as well, possibly some on here in Disguise, maybe from these tank people too BUT even all the design for these tanks can ALWAYS be made better there will always be abetter design come along.... I am just glad I didnt get Bundy Tanks to make my design up for me to sell other wise they might have started selling that.... I was thinking of buying a rotoplastic moulder my self as the setup costs for welding all the trial moulds was gunna be akiller... So in my way of thinking I like to do it all myself.... One day maybe... then you can buy my tanks RUPE :wink:

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Comparing products
PostPosted: Aug 2nd, '11, 11:46 
I've got no problem with the concept of someone producing a "better" design... that lowers the cost or improves the performance of aquaponics systems...

And I've seen a few attempts... and they work....

But so far, most have ended up costing about the same as existing products (or more)...while not really matching the functionality or performance...

Often that's because the "manufacturer" doesn't have any real knowledge or experience of aquaponics.... and just as often... because, although they might have the facilities to produce a cheaper product... they choose to price around the same mark as existing products.... :wink:

If that's the case, then I don't see the point of endorsing a product that has less functionality... and/or possibly less support.... than existing products...

Post subject: Re: Comparing products
PostPosted: Feb 23rd, '21, 17:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
A decade later and I'm searching for child proofing and find this gem.