All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next

Your current favorite pump brand. Come back and recast your vote as often as needed.
Aquapro 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Ebara 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Grundfos 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Jebao 21%  21%  [ 15 ]
Laguna 29%  29%  [ 20 ]
Messner 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Oase 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Tetra 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Other 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
Dissatisfied with my last pump, still forming an opinion on my new pump 7%  7%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 70
PostPosted: Dec 13th, '15, 19:27 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
Not all pumps are made in China. Maybe all their pumps are.

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '15, 19:33 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
rendang wrote:
So I am very happy with rockaroundtheblock, great customer service and they have some good gear at good prices but if you enjoy your serenity, I wouldn't recommend Hozelock.

Have you looked at the KINTONS... (I think it is) .. "I liked it so much i bought the company"... :notworthy:
well maybe not that much..
Zero noise, and very low power consumption.. I have to look at the clear connection pipe for movement, to confirm it's working..

RATB... just great.folk to deal with.. just bought a backup AirPump LP-100, along with spare diaphragms for quick fixes..

Yes, it is now impossible to rely on anything being NOT made in China..

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '15, 19:36 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Stuart Chignell wrote:
.....Not all pumps are made in China. .....

And what ones are you talking about...

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '15, 19:44 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: usually
Quote:
Maybe all their pumps are.

Yes all there pumps are made in China.

Quote:
Have you looked at the KINTONS... (I think it is)

Yes but they were so cheap, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Quote:

Laguna say's "made in Italy" on the box.

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26475&p=527825&hilit=smaller+chilled+system#p527825

PostPosted: Dec 13th, '15, 20:26 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
FWIW I have been aquaponicing for 5 years now have had a fair few pumps. My first pump was a PondMax 8000 and it is still going strong in my 4000l tank. Never had a problem with it.
On the other hand I have had a Hozelock Aquaforce 6000 (from Rock Around the Block), great pump (and mine was quiet) but didn't last much more than a year. I'll let you know how the warranty claims work! I cant say for sure as they label is gone but I though it said it was made in Birmingham UK) Replacing that was a Laguna Max flo 7500 from Creative Pumps. That didn't last more than 18 months. All this time the PondMax is quietly pumping away doing its job. luckily I had a Laguna Max flo as a backup. I have also had 3 Grundfos sump pumps (C4 and C5s) in my sump (when I had one) and they all shorted out on the float switch lead. I have spent a significant amount of money on pumps and while I have a Laguna Max flo and the PondMax running at the moment, it is the cheapest of all the pumps I have had that has been the most reliable. Unfortunately what is attractive about the Hozelock and Laguna pumps is the amount of water they push per watt. Even if they don't last they easily pay for themselves (compared to the Pondmax) with power savings within the warranty period (3 years). The only downside is the need for a backup pump (which you should have anyway) and the inconvenience of making a claim.
If the warranty claims for the Laguna and Hozelock are honored (and I can see no reason why they wont) it is not likely I will have to decide which pump to buy next and I will have enough for a while.
But if I did have to buy another I would buy the Hozelock and Laguna again for their efficiency alone and the 3 year warranty. Also the Hozelock has a great double inlet so at can be more efficient at getting the solids out of the tank and into the beds.
Cheers
Marc

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 04:32 
In need of a life
In need of a life

rendang wrote:

In 2015, I have strong doubts about ANY claims as to where ANYTHING is really made..

Assembly and packaging does not constitute manufacture IMHO.. but this is not saying that some.items may be made. In other than China.. obviously, manufacturing does happen everywhere.. like the current TV ad for Drills, in Sydney ATM , says...
"You can buy cheaper, but then i would lose my job"

KINTONS... I have nothing but praise from my experience, and would have no qualms buying another..
it was what RATB suggested... :headbang:

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 04:45 

If you can't trust the manufacturer on what they say you can trust their reputation to a degree.

There are a bunch of manufacturers that say their product is not manufactured in China.

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 16:20 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: usually
Quote:
Marc d W wrote:
FWIW I have been aquaponicing for 5 years now have had a fair few pumps. My first pump was a PondMax 8000 and it is still going strong in my 4000l tank. Never had a problem with it.
On the other hand I have had a Hozelock Aquaforce 6000 (from Rock Around the Block), great pump (and mine was quiet) but didn't last much more than a year. I'll let you know how the warranty claims work! I cant say for sure as they label is gone but I though it said it was made in Birmingham UK) Replacing that was a Laguna Max flo 7500 from Creative Pumps. That didn't last more than 18 months. All this time the PondMax is quietly pumping away doing its job. luckily I had a Laguna Max flo as a backup. I have also had 3 Grundfos sump pumps (C4 and C5s) in my sump (when I had one) and they all shorted out on the float switch lead. I have spent a significant amount of money on pumps and while I have a Laguna Max flo and the PondMax running at the moment, it is the cheapest of all the pumps I have had that has been the most reliable. Unfortunately what is attractive about the Hozelock and Laguna pumps is the amount of water they push per watt. Even if they don't last they easily pay for themselves (compared to the Pondmax) with power savings within the warranty period (3 years). The only downside is the need for a backup pump (which you should have anyway) and the inconvenience of making a claim.
If the warranty claims for the Laguna and Hozelock are honored (and I can see no reason why they wont) it is not likely I will have to decide which pump to buy next and I will have enough for a while.
But if I did have to buy another I would buy the Hozelock and Laguna again for their efficiency alone and the 3 year warranty. Also the Hozelock has a great double inlet so at can be more efficient at getting the solids out of the tank and into the beds.
Cheers
Marc

This is what's so frustrating, I would be happy to pay more to get economy and reliability but it all seems so hit and miss. I guess you just have to pay your money,take your chances and have a spare on hand !

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=26475&p=527825&hilit=smaller+chilled+system#p527825

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 17:20 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
I love the pondmax pump (Chinese made), very rarely had any issues with them and sold thousands over the years. From a retail point of view you want pump that work and don't come back to your shop with unhappy customers and if I ever sold pumps again I'd go with pondmax and aquapro or the other brand names the same pumps are sold under. Place of manufacture? Italy SUCKS from what I experienced, which really sucks lol... Don't get me started on the ebara pumps fiasco, cost me a small fortune... :upset:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 18:26 

Selling them gives you a better idea than just using them but the Laguna are made in italy and mine hasn't missed a beat ever.

PostPosted: Dec 14th, '15, 20:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
earthbound wrote:
I love the pondmax pump (Chinese made), very rarely had any issues with them and sold thousands over the years. From a retail point of view you want pump that work and don't come back to your shop with unhappy customers and if I ever sold pumps again I'd go with pondmax and aquapro or the other brand names the same pumps are sold under.

I recall that's what you told me when you sold me the PondMax EB!

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '15, 05:02 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Quote:
Have you looked at the KINTONS... (I think it is)

Yes but they were so cheap, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.[/quote]
Interestingly, I spoke to RATB about that and they commented that the KINTONS were very reliable, and that was the reason why I accepted a cheaper product..
I have two running well and the neighbours have one now running for years in their turtle tank
Quote:
Quote:

Laguna say's "made in Italy" on the box.[/quote]
Again.. NEVER trust a Made-In statement..
And so what if it is made elsewhere.. that does not make it an automatically better product..

For me, the greatest reassurance comes from buying from someone like EB, or RATB, and thus have significant experience and KNOW their products.. whereas, buying from some unknown, on EBAY... now that is asking for possible troubles.

To me, it's like people declaring.. " ALDI - NO, I would not shop there because you don't know the quality " :support:

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '15, 05:10 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Quote:
Yes but they were so cheap, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Interestingly, I spoke to RATB about that and they commented that the KINTONS were very reliable, with very low return rates, and that was the reason why I accepted a cheaper product..
I have two running well and the neighbours have one now running for years in their turtle tank
Quote:

Again.. NEVER trust a Made-In statement..
And so what if it is made elsewhere.. that does not make it an automatically better product..
Like when a sales-person said a dish washer was made-in-Germany, and such was.laser cut on the door, but beside it were others with identical tooling, showing that they were ALL made in China... :upset:
For me, the greatest reassurance comes from buying from someone like EB, or RATB, and thus have significant experience and KNOW their products.. whereas, buying from some unknown, on EBAY... now that is asking for possible troubles.

To me, it's like people declaring.. " ALDI - NO, I would not shop there because you don't know the quality " :support:
Aldi.. 60day unconditional return policy and many three year warranties.. now that is reassurance..

PostPosted: Dec 15th, '15, 08:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Peter I have had effectively 2 pond pumps running my pond system in 25 years. (aside from a couple of years with a Davey).
Both are MeBners (Messner) and trust me they are made in Germany.

Below are some pics of my oldest one (It still goes but the cap is on its way out) It did 18yrs running a pond, not some prissy clean as FT. I am not sure if you notice the difference between this and some cheap Chinese pump eg ceramic shaft and bearing size, real stainless steel etc etc
If I can find a Chinese one lying around I will pull it to bits and take photo's. :)

Attachments:
MeBner3 (Medium).jpg
MeBner3 (Medium).jpg [ 65.22 KiB | Viewed 9262 times ]
MeBner2 (Medium).jpg
MeBner2 (Medium).jpg [ 37.85 KiB | Viewed 9262 times ]
MeBner1 (Medium).jpg
MeBner1 (Medium).jpg [ 39.01 KiB | Viewed 9262 times ]
PostPosted: Dec 15th, '15, 14:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Interesting

I had a look at Kintons, if their figures are to be believed they seem to be more efficient than Laguna's.

Have no idea what an inverter technology motor is :?

Country of source Malaysia, noticed they only provide a 5m cord but I could live with that. :)

Ok just bought 2 of the eco 8000's I will let you know what I think of them when they arrive. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65  Next