All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '18, 20:29 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
It wasn't a NOT NFT if you had water deep enough to reach baskets. NOT NFT is NFT in round tubes. Let's not confuse them. Yours was SWC. My NOT NFT does not use baskets, I used pool noodles so the plants could be low enough to reach the trickle without needing to flood the tubes.it might be worth mentioning my NOT NFT is also only 3 inch PVC not 4 inch so I don't have to go quite as low to reach the trickle.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 30th, '18, 00:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Petesake wrote:
What do you think works better dstjohn99 the DWC or the SWC/NFT as you've got it now?

Pete - Hmm, I think the tube works better only because the plants are spread out and get better sun and air. On my DWC rafts things get a little crowded. However, once the weather turns hot I think the tube will be too hot for happy plants. My DWC plants are doing great but right now the snow peas and lettuce are taking over and in the summer it's basil and water spinach that seem to conquer.

The lettuce does better in the DWC, the strawberries and spinach about the same either way. I just converted one of my media beds to DWC because that seems to perform better than the media for many plants, then as things got crowded I transferred stuff to the tube to make more room.

rininger85 wrote:
It wasn't a NOT NFT if you had water deep enough to reach baskets. NOT NFT is NFT in round tubes. Let's not confuse them. Yours was SWC. My NOT NFT does not use baskets, I used pool noodles so the plants could be low enough to reach the trickle without needing to flood the tubes.it might be worth mentioning my NOT NFT is also only 3 inch PVC not 4 inch so I don't have to go quite as low to reach the trickle.

Rob, I'm not sure whom you are replying too but I am confused by all the acronym references above. Sorry, I don't want to get hung up on or debate the labels. I just try stuff and if it works I go with it. For the longest time I wondered how people got things started in NFT (not knowing much about it myself). I see now that if the baskets touch the bottom of a flat channel that would certainly make it work. It seemed odd that I have to wait until I have a root system before I transfer plants to my tube, but that's the way it is for now...

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Feb 24th, '18, 10:34 

Are you human?: When it is important
Firstly, I would like to thank you all for the emense volume of input for a member whom just joined.

Secondly, I would like to appologize for being absent for so long.

I took all of your comments seriously, and re-evaluated everything that I was planning. With doing so, I did much more research, that opened my eyes to my newbie foolishness.

For that, you have my gratitude.

Due to my limited space, this is my revised design for my greens production.

4 dwc rafts 4×8 stacked 2 high inline.

--------- ---------
--------- ---------

I know it can be done, but am having difficulty finding any information on the plumbing for this configuration.

This will be much easier to maintain, and seems the smarter path for my longterm goal. I will be adding airstones or some sort of difuser to the dwc beds to airate the roots, my initial choice will be dependant on cost vs budget.

Again, i am very serious about this, and look forward to your input. I am hoping to make my first go at this a success. Thanks to your input, I am already over half way there.