All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Air-lift pump design
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '18, 08:36 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Oh those dogs... They don't do much that's for sure.
Okay I've built the air-lift pump and tested it.
Attachment:
3-22-18-air-lift-pump-complete.jpg
3-22-18-air-lift-pump-complete.jpg [ 86.66 KiB | Viewed 412 times ]

and a close up
Attachment:
3-22-18-air-lift-pump-complete2.jpg
3-22-18-air-lift-pump-complete2.jpg [ 74.9 KiB | Viewed 412 times ]

Does it work?
That depends on several factors coming together or not...
I had a heck of a time finding parts I needed to create a drain if it did work :upset:
I sealed the current air delivery system as best I could and learned the first lesson in low pressure air delivery; even a minor leaks depletes all air pressure. :upset:
The air-lift pump raised the water around six inches with minimal air pressure. Not good enough for what I need in relocating the new cone-bottom RFF.
So I decided to connect the air-lift pump to compressed air. Again it took forever to find the adapters i needed to add a valve to the air line. :upset:
The compressor is off and has been all day and has ~15 to 20 psi which of course I had to try, right? :laughing3:
Now that moved a crap-load of water, in fact it hit the ceiling of the greenhouse before it blew the unglued PVC fittings apart :laughing3:
Okay I needed to add a valve...
I dug and dug through every box of plumbing fittings I could find, finally found a 1/4" nipple :notworthy:
Found one!
Okay tried the air compressor again, amazing! What I was seeing was a full flow from a 1 1/2" PVC pipe with a lift of 30"!!!
To continue these tests with verifiable results I need to put an air pressure gauge on the air supply and have a helper ready to measure gallons per minute.
A guess is I can easily hit my desired mark of 30gph with an increased head height to 24".

This is the first test with air from the giant aquarium style pump
I did a video of the second test with the air-compressor but as you might imagine that got a little out of control. I haven't watched that one yet.
I'll view it again, but without a video editor I don't think it will be worth much :think:
Yahoo!

:?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Air-lift pump design
PostPosted: Mar 23rd, '18, 20:25 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good morning
I guess somehow I posted the explosive second air-lift pump test first
Here is the actual first video.

As you can see this is rather mundane flow and I had to lay the PVC pipe over on its side to get even this much flow.
The autoimmune disease I'm struggling to get under control has been hitting me hard since Wednesday, when I began this project. While I had a great night sleep Thursday and woke at 7:00 AM I wasn't so lucky last night and have been awake since 3:00AM and out off bed since 4:00AM. We have been watching WW11 in HD Color https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_in_HD_Colour on Netflix as I am having difficulty moving around. Fascinating history lesson. Anyhow I put that on at 4:00AM until I smelled the coffee pot start brewing and got off the couch, built a fire and came to my desk to try and get my head together.
Now that I know the air-lift pump can do what I need it to do, I can plan what the next steps are to clean the water for our 2600 gallon trout pond.

:?