All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Air Pump Inlet Extension
PostPosted: Mar 30th, '18, 04:55 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Has anyone extended the air inlet on their air pumps?

I have 3 x Hailea air pumps running in a metal housing and they are just starting to get a bit noisy, so I've purchased some 10mm rubber self adhesive sound deadening panels to try and cut the noise down a little, but I'm worried about the rubber and the adhesive giving off fumes when the metal housing is exposed to the hot sun.

To avoid the pumps drawing in any toxic fumes and sending them straight into the fish tank I plan to drill holes in the back of the metal housing and extend the pumps inlets to the outside the housing and have them draw in clean air.

They won't be very long extensions so I don't think I'll have any problems. :dontknow:

Spiders and bugs entering the inlets may cause problems? :dontknow:

Attachments:
DSCN1366 (Small).JPG
DSCN1366 (Small).JPG [ 154.19 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
Air Pump 001 (Small).jpg
Air Pump 001 (Small).jpg [ 47.85 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]
10mm Panels (Small).jpg
10mm Panels (Small).jpg [ 54.55 KiB | Viewed 566 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 30th, '18, 21:07 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Yup
Perhaps making a supply air plenum with a funnel and filter media?
I really must construct a backup system like yours....

PostPosted: Mar 31st, '18, 04:56 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

skeggley wrote:
Perhaps making a supply air plenum with a funnel and filter media?
I really must construct a backup system like yours....

Hi Skeggley,

Thanks for the reply, a plenum & filter media would work, but it would need too be outside the metal housing or it would still be drawing fumes unless the filtration was heavy enough like something used in respirators to filter out the fumes.

Then I think the filtration might then restrict the air flow and put a load on the air pumps. :dontknow:

It's only a short run from the air pumps to the back wall of the housing, 200m - 300mm at the most, so I'll try just drilling 3 x holes and run hoses/extentions straight out through the holes first, and if I still have problems then I'll try a plenum.

I don't know if running extentions straight out the back will add to the noise or not, I don't think it will, I think the noise of the pumps are just being amplified by the drumming of the metal housing and deadening the druming should stop most of the noise.

I replaced the original air pump because it was getting a bit old and starting to make a bit of noise not that long ago, but the new pump makes more noise than the other two put together. :upset:

The old original air pump I now run outside of the housing on very hot days to add that little bit of extra DO for the fish, and running it outside of the housing it makes little or no noise. :? :support:

It's a combination of noisy pumps and drumming, and it's more noticeable on the hotter days, I run a small fan in the housing and that helps a little, hopefully the sound proofing will help to cool the the inside of the housing down and not add to the heat problems, and I think the pumps will also run a lot cooler drawing air from outside of the housing.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Mar 31st, '18, 05:06 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I replaced the original air pump because it was getting a bit old and starting to make a bit of noise not that long ago, but the new pump makes more noise than the other two put together.

What brand? and bought from where? .

PostPosted: Mar 31st, '18, 06:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Hi Tonzz,

They are 60LPM & 55LPM Hailea Electromagnetic Air Compressor pumps, the first pump I bought and now replaced was a smaller cheap Chinese Resun that looked exactly the same as the Hailea's, just not the same quality. The Resun pump is now 5 years old and still running after 4 years of 24/7 service, it was only replaced because of noise and is still a good working pump.

For the little extra they cost buy quaility pumps, you don't want to lose your fish for a few dollars. I run 3 x air pumps for the safety of not losing fish if a pump were to fail.

Tonzz I think were all purchased off eBay out of Sydney, if you do buy from eBay ask if the pump is in stock and where it be shipped from. I bought one from a eBay seller claiming he/she was in Sydney, but when the pump did finally arrive it had been shipped from a market stall somewhere in China.

Now I always ask the questions before I buy on eBay and that way when your purchase doesn't arrive in a reasonable time it helps if you need to make a claim.

My Fish: