All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20
PostPosted: Feb 19th, '18, 06:34 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Know expert wrote:
Hey Joblow, I just realised it was you who posted the same backup system photos and diagram on a thread I created back in Aug/Sept last year. I built the system and it worked perfectly and it's still working perfectly now. Every now and then I unplug the water pump just to check the backup kicks in and so far it hasn't missed once. Thank you!

That's great stuff, mine has save the fish a couple of times, we had a car knock down a power pole on the corner and the power was out for over 10 hours while they replaced the pole. This one has been in place for a few years now and still hasn't missed a beat and like yourself I often turn the power off for a spot check.

Because we had a very long cold winter and the battery had been previously discharged a couple of times that battery didn't last the full period of time the power was out, but it still gave plenty me of time to get a small generator in and then I replaced the battery with a larger amp hour unit later.

If I ever had another long power outage I would replace the battery again, they don't surrvive a big discharge all that well and it's better to be safe than sorry.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 9th, '18, 15:57 

Are you human?: YES
There are lots of good stuff about the generator, they might be helpful for readers. Thanks :wave: :cheers:

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '18, 14:06 

Are you human?: YES
When I started reading this thread I was thinking a deep cycle battery + relay + charger and power cube for relay. Then I saw others built it! :) For those who do not have large power needs, solar may not be a bad idea (comparing cost to deep cycle battery replacement) for emergency or even main pump/air power depending on load. I got my amorphous panels at $129 per 100 watts (with stands, brackets, pwm controller, etc ready to go). I suspect they are cheaper now and in bulk WAY cheaper.

If your battery is maintained by solar panels then your not going to drain it down unless it's night time.

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '18, 16:30 

Are you human?: yes
I was thinking about solar panels before reading this topic, where from did you get yours? I was exploring couple guides on how to build from solar panels with estimations on power and cost, it seemed pretty cheap on paper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20