All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 14:37 

Are you human?: yes
http://www.abesmarket.com/aquafarm-at-h ... s-kit.html

There is a small 3 gallon counter top aquaponics system. Think someone was asking if there was a small unit for sale.

These guys started on kickstarter wanted 100,000 as their goal ended up with almost 250,000. Makes you think a bit doesn't it.

Anyhow hope some of you like it and check it out be nice to hear if anyone actualy buys one and how it works. Might be good for growing some herbs for the kitchen.

Years ago I used to make vases that had a Beta fish Peace Lily some rocks in them I had an aquaponics going and didn't even know what it was back then. Wish I had some pics to share used to buy Betas wholesale 100 at a time keep them until vased.
Only bad thing was hard to keep the Peace Lillies looking good and fresh in the hot florida sun. They like shade and cooler temps and do great in the house with just a bit of sunlight.

Getting back to the AquaFarm at home kit that's the cheapest I've seen if you find for less pls post it for people thanks

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 14:46 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Undortunately the problem with those is that they are really just destined for landfill within 12 months. There has been a bit of discussion about them and I think a member here had one.

The amount of money they raised makes me think they did some good marketing, but that's about it really.. :)

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 16:34 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
Too small to be useful.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 17:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
It's quite cheap though, for what it is.

If somebody just wants a counter top fish tank, it might work?

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 18:21 

Yes it's small but might get someone into doing more elaborate set ups.
Think for someone with kids it also might be interesting for them to raise a couple plants.

Remember the avacodo seed skewered with toothpicks in a small cup of water as a kid? When those roots started to grow out it just amazed you, kids love growing things. Something magical about seeds growing into something bigger never gets old.

Some might like it's self contained neat look. Me myself I kind of like the Frankenstien or Steam Punk cobbled together mad scientest look. But

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 18:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

If I had a window that received decent sunlight or if electricity was cheaper I would so make an aquarium AP setup.
When I was younger my aquariums were against a wall with glass louvres along it's full length and I was running undergravel filters exclusively.
I would use garden plants for most of my my plant needs and they'd grow massive, When they got too unruly (around 1+1/2 feet higher than the tanks...) I'd replant them into the garden and replace them with smaller specimens (fully submerged). At the time I was amazed how many ordinary plants would thrive underwater.
The garden plants would hardly have grown at all outside compared to the massive versions from the tanks.
They were very established tanks that had been running for years and I was lucky to clean the tank every 12 months. Wouldn't bother unless I thought there was a blockage in the bed somewhere or when mulm (sludge) started to float out the airlifts. That might sound terrible but my fish thrived too and never had any issues at all. It made for highly stable tanks, mind you I made my own filters with a fairly large void under the gravel for decent water flow.
I'd read about the water and sludge being great fertiliser in an old fish keeping book from the 60's or 70's.
Would love to go full AP with one but I'm lacking natural light and artificial light probably isn't worth the expense with our high power prices these days.
Now I'm wondering how much light "baby greens" would need... hmm, not too much I suspect.
You've got me thinking again, I've been ignoring the idea deliberately until now.
Might just have to recommission the old 5' tank and splurge on some good fluorescent lights. :think: .
Better work out the expected kWh and $$$ first though.

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 20:15 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

35x40x25cm. Wow that is a micro system. But as sikpuppy says, might be just the thing to spark an interest that leads to something bigger.

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '14, 21:11 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

the main issue I see is if its in good light the FT will fill with algae, and if not the plants won't grow.

however $59 with free shipping is not bad.

Sikpuppy65 this was my Frankenstien system in the shed with just a few baby yabbies.

maybe I should put it on kickstarter?

Attachments:
File comment: basil growth
20140305_205258.jpg
20140305_205258.jpg [ 50.99 KiB | Viewed 4781 times ]
File comment: the set up
20140117_181439.jpg
20140117_181439.jpg [ 76.99 KiB | Viewed 4781 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '14, 04:54 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I guess one of those printed fish tank murals could be used to block natural light from entering the back/sides of the FT.
Hmm I'm now investing too much brainspace...moving on...

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '14, 06:08 

Heres another 50 opinions if your interested viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14437&hilit=kickstarter

~Backyard farming~