All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 6th, '06, 14:01 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

veggie boy wrote:
You are correct regarding water flow having to be exactly the same. This may be a challenge worth taking up though (by somebody) because I think a stepped flood and drain with auto syphons may be the way to go, but the more I think about it, possibly unachievable. Not only would inflow have to be the same, the syphon starting and stopping would have to be the same every time (which I imagine would be unlikely.

I reckon a stepped autosyphon system would be achievable, as long as each node is identical. I'm game to try and have some spare tubs and tubing now, so watch the forums...

I've done it, but I won't hijack your thread nova. Check out the hardware page for details... :)

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 8th, '06, 16:08 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

About to have a look now. :)

Nova

Post subject: Re: Nova's System
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '06, 14:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

OK, started some work on the system today. Cut the top out of one 1000L drum and have started to free another one from the steel "drum" the plastic liner is in (will post some pics soon). I think I have an old 44 galon drum around here somewhere, i might see if that will work for the sump tank.

Going to start out with goldfish (comets and shubunkin(sp??)), I have heard they are "dirty" fish and not to use them to cycle a tank. Would an aquaponics setup be different given the filter (growbeds) to tank ratio is much higher than with an aquarium? If I added some gravel to my current fishtank and left it for a week or so, then put it in the growbeds when I added the fish, would that speed things up?

I wonder, is there some sort of changover type valve around, that would allow water to flow into one growbed, then when that starts to syphon out, it switches over and fills the second growbed. When that starts to syphon, it changes back to the first growbed.

Nova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '06, 14:38 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
Nova, Goldfish in general i think are considered dirty fish as they will eat / poo as much as you can feed them :) (to the point whre its bad for them)

I used 4 shibunkin goldies to start up my outdoor system.........hoping they will be monster size when i finaaly get them out! They're currenty sharing the 1000Lt tank with approx 30 jade perch.

IMHO that what you want a fish that will tolerate nasty conditions (goldies qualify here).

RE: water diverter device..........anythings possible............i can mentally picture plans for a mechanical type one AND an electronic style one..........it just depends on if you want to make your system "murphy proof" (murphys law :)) or not.

Mechanical devices jam, electronic devices burn out............

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '06, 14:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

I was thinking of a mechanical type system, maybe with the water that runs out of the syphons pulling a flap so the water going into the beds swaps from the one that is emptying to the other one. Mechanical seems more foolproof, especially if it is in a header tank (no plants/gravel to block it).

I can picture most of it except the valve arrangement, and the mechanism to switch it. Hmm, that leaves me picturing the pipe and tank. :|

Nova

Post subject: some pics
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '06, 16:11 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Well here is what I got done today. I have the fish tank sorted (cut the top off a drum with a broken tap), although I need to silicone up the tap so it doesn't leak.
Pic of the broken tap.
Fish tank drum without a top.
Cutting the second plastic drum out of it's tin protective cover.
Taking a spell, my arm got sore from the hammer. :evil: In case you are wondering why I didn't use an angle grinder, I didn't want to accidentally cut a hole in the drum.
And here it is, needs a good scrub though. I will cut it in half, giving me two growbeds approx 1.1m by 0.9m and 35cm high (450 litres roughly).

Need some gravel and then I can see how much water the growbeds will hold. Will get a sump tank once I know how big it needs to be, although I am leaning toward another 1000L drum cut in half. I can then use half for the tank and half for another growbed.

Next on the list though is a stand for the growbeds.

Nova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 9th, '06, 18:17 
Legend Member
Legend Member

looks good, your right about it needing a good scrub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sep 10th, '06, 16:36 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

It's all on the outside luckily, the drum has been sitting under a gum tree for the past couple of years.

Nova

PostPosted: Oct 9th, '06, 18:40 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

OK, long time and no update. Finally got some time to put some pics up.

Basically I have 12 goldfish in the tank now with one gravel bed on continuous flow above the tank for bio filtration. I haven't got the big beds sorted yet.

I am planning to have 2 systems running from the one tank. One flood and drain with 2 X 400L growbeds and one continuous/auto syphon running in 2 tubs above the tank. The idea behind this is to run the smaller system on a UPS in case of power failure, as this will provide aeration and some filtering while the power is out.

There is currently one blue tub on top of the tank, and the water is starting to go green. Time for some plants I think.

Nova

Attachments:
File comment: Basic layout, tank half full.
half_setup.jpg
half_setup.jpg [ 102.94 KiB | Viewed 4880 times ]

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 12:40 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Long time, no update. :(

Well, there have been some slight changes and at last the system is starting to cycle. I have had fish in the tank for nearly 2 months now and I have only just seen some action in the past fortnight. I tested the water today and got these results, Ammonia - 0.4ppm, Nitrite - 0.25ppm and Nitrate - 5ppm (pH 8.4, is this too high???). This is with 24 goldfish in 800L of water.

The current setup has two 35L tubs as growbeds, one with an autosyphon and one with duckweed in it on continuous flow. There is gravel in the bottom third of the duckweed tank. The grow bed has strawberries and spring onions in it, although the strawberries look like they need more nitrogen. :(

The continuous flow tub is my aeration method, and the grow bed is just more grow bed area. I plan to add the two big grow beds (seen in earlier pictures) soon and then add some Silver Perch. I will leave the small pump and the two tubs running on a UPS for power backup (I don't have the UPS yet and the power went out for 6 hours Tuesday, everything is ok though).

Also the water is green (for the second time). It had cleared up nicely until I stirred up the fish poo adding some water last week.

Some current photo's below.

Nova 8)

Attachments:
File comment: The fish, Comets and Shubunkins.
goldfish.jpg
goldfish.jpg [ 93.72 KiB | Viewed 4835 times ]
File comment: Return water from the duckweed tank for aeration
aeration.jpg
aeration.jpg [ 94.42 KiB | Viewed 4831 times ]
File comment: The tank with two tubs for grow beds
tank and tubs.jpg
tank and tubs.jpg [ 114.17 KiB | Viewed 4834 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 12:46 

Are you human?: yes
hey Nova, what water are you using for this thing? 8.4? Did you take a second check reading? Keep feeding the fish, that'll bring it down LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 12:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Using rain water from the shed roof. We have mains, but it is chlorinated and not free, and also bore water, but that is hard and salty (1300ppm from memory). Thought rain water was the best option.

Tested both my fish tanks, 7.2 and 7.4 so should be accurate. The aqua tank started at 7.5 and rose to 8.3/8.4 in about 30 seconds (digital pH meter). Temp is 19 if that makes a differance.

Nova

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 17:47 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Nova, nice to see the update, not the resident chemical expert but to rise that much in such a short time I would be questioning the accuracy of the meter?

Could be getting algae growth due to the sunlight on the tank

Post subject:
PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 18:10 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
Nova, trust me on this one, measure your ph very early in the morning, as close to sunrsie as possible, or if you're a night owl after midnight.

Then check it again at say between and 4 and 6 pm

I bet you'll find the night time ph is low and the day time ph is high. If it is then it will be due to the algaes photosynthisis. DO NOT try to adjust ph up and down to fix it as tou will be chasing your tail. Large water changes will help.

The strawberries are probably looking sick becasue at ph 8.5 many of the nutes will be locked out, especially iron, which will casue a yellowing of the leaves.

Steve

PostPosted: Nov 23rd, '06, 18:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

OK, I checked the pH reading, using 3 different test kits. The general one maxed out at 7.5, the other broader one maxed out at 7.4, and the high range pH kit I have had a colour that wasn't on the chart. :? Seemed lighter and more purple than the colours to compare with. Best guess with that one is somewhere between 8 and 8.5. :|

My aquariums both had high pH while they where new, but it dropped once they cycled. I will keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Maybe I need more water turnover through the grow bed to try and lower the ammonia and nitrite. I will try and get some time to work out the amount of water "filtered" per hour.

Nova

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next