All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 10:32 

Are you human?: yes
I believe they are simpley called common carp.
After salting/purgeing/cleaning I kill them, skin them, bake or smoke them.
Cheap protein which is nice once purged/salt bathed etc
I have strained the salting water a few times and have found a few sluggy type parasites which have let go of the fish.
They are the healthyest they have been just before I knock them off!
Here is a youtube of how to basic prep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k70a1Ks6HFo

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 10:54 

Are you human?: mostly
i soak my fish in brine for 24hour before smoking, crumbed some barra that was soaked in brine the other day and fired it, diefinatley tasted better :) so i will probably soak all of my fish o/night at least. it seemsoves a shedload of slime and goop from the fish :puke:
brine recipe:

get enough fresh water in a bowl to saok your fish
add salt (i prefere pure seasalt, non iodised) and add and mix till a potato floats in the water (this is ALOT of salt, maybe 50% volume)

add the same amount raw sugar (or normal) as salt

add fish, soak in fridge for 24hour before smoking

i have also been told that brine makes the skin of the fish inhospitibale to a certain nasty bacteria that likes to grow on smoking fish :dontknow:

Freo system | Spearwood
ImageImage

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 13:44 

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: Not in the morning !
freoboy wrote:
i have also been told that brine makes the skin of the fish inhospitibale to a certain nasty bacteria that likes to grow on smoking fish :dontknow:

Yep - botulism :evil:

My System: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5264
My Website: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
My Blog: http://www.seaweedguy.com

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 20:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Common salt is a commodity required to be reduced to only sodium cloride with a tiny amount of iodine, bleaching and antiflaking compounds. It is heated to 1200 deg.F to extract the other minerals and the result is toxic. Purity is required in the manufacturing of many products like bleach. Table salt is only a fraction of the total salt sold. I use only solar (low temperature) dried sea salt for the table, in cooking, fermenting foods, pickleing, and cheese making. It contains 16% other minerals required for good health

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 20:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Common salt is a commodity required to be reduced to only sodium cloride with a tiny amount of iodine, bleaching and antiflaking compounds. It is heated to 1200 deg.F to extract the other minerals and the result is toxic. Purity is required in the manufacturing of many products like bleach. Table salt is only a fraction of the total salt sold. I use only solar (low temperature) dried sea salt for the table, in cooking, fermenting foods, pickleing, and cheese making. It contains 16% other minerals required for good health

PostPosted: May 5th, '11, 22:04 

Blog: View Blog (1)
Are you human?: Not in the morning !
spiritrancho wrote:

Maybe in the US, but not here. I'm a geologist with a strong chemical background, and your second sentence doesn't even makes sense. Neither does your commment about table salt only being a fraction of the total salt sold ! 99.9% is a fraction - do you have numbers or are you just quoting some dogma that you heard ???

The majority of what you have said doesn't make sense as it would make the salt too expensive as a result of the amount of energy expended. Most solid rocks melt at slightly less than the temperature you have said, so your comments are simply economically unviable, by a massive margin.

My System: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5264
My Website: http://www.chillies-down-under.com
My Blog: http://www.seaweedguy.com

PostPosted: May 7th, '11, 05:17 

Are you human?: yes
I rub on a mixture of 1/2 brown suger 1/2 salt, get my skomer etc all ready and cranking, brush off the mixture and hang in the smoker.
I do it different for other fish.

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '11, 02:57 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
freoboy wrote:
i soak my fish in brine for 24hour before smoking, crumbed some barra that was soaked in brine the other day and fired it, diefinatley tasted better :) so i will probably soak all of my fish o/night at least. it seemsoves a shedload of slime and goop from the fish :puke:
brine recipe:

get enough fresh water in a bowl to saok your fish
add salt (i prefere pure seasalt, non iodised) and add and mix till a potato floats in the water (this is ALOT of salt, maybe 50% volume)

add the same amount raw sugar (or normal) as salt

add fish, soak in fridge for 24hour before smoking

I am definately with you on the sea salt and raw sugar! My brining experience is just with turkeys at this point. But as soon as i have tilapia to harvest, I am certainly going to salt them out then brine them. I have always used raw sugar for brining, soda making, coffee, wait a moment, i only use raw sugar... Then again, I am a crusty granola eater. I wonder if i can grow ap sugarcane in southern California?

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.