All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Ebay scammers.
PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:03 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Got an email from someone yesterday telling me that they had bought a manual on CDrom from ebay recently. ANyway, it just arrived and they opened it up and stuck it in their computer, only to find that it was the PDF version of my manual (they had bought a printed copy years ago).

So the lady wrote to me to let me know because she thought the person probably didn't have my permission...

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 38.36 KiB | Viewed 1708 times ]

So the guy is selling my book to people without my permission, for double what I sell it for. So I got onto ebay to try and sort it out and man what an effort. I had to print things out and sign statements, and fax them back. Then they wrote asking me to explain myself because they couldn't see why I had claimed it as an intellectual property issue.

I had to point it out in simple terms... Hmmm, my book, I wrote it, he stole it, he's selling it without my permission and I'm getting nothing.

And then pointed out to them that they were actively being a part of piracy. The guy also sells dodgy versions of of car maintenance manuals on cdrom. There have been purchasers post in his feedback stating that what they have received are illegal copies of manuals that he's selling.

I pointed this out to Ebay, because after the couple of contacts I had, it appeared that they would look through my claims, and if they believed me, then they would remove the item from sale.. So they have done it... Removed the one item of mine he had for sale..

Now I'm waiting for a further response, not that I really expect to get one, about how they will stop him posting the same item again in the future, and what they are going to do about the other pirated, illegal items he is selling?????????

Of course I imagine nothing... I did a quick calculation, the guy has had almost 700 feedback in the last 12 months selling these things. He sells most of them between $20 and $30, so if you average $25 each, thats over 17 grand. Account for the fact that many people don't bother leaving feedback, and that some of the e-manuals are up to $50 each, this guy is probably making over $20 grand a year selling goods illegally though ebay..

But why wouldn't ebay do anything about it, why have they just removed my 1 item and not all the other stuff he's selling, why haven't they kicked the guy off the site? Because they are making a healthy cut of that.... :upset:

Profile Personal album  
    Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Ebay scammers.
PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:08 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Only after 3 coffees
Because it is up to others to prove he is sell their property not ebays. You done the right thing but now you will have to keep checking incase it happens under another name. Glad you wre able to get it off EB.

BackYard Aquaponics
ccBear's First System

BackYard Farming
CcBear's Dunbyu Gardens

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:13 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pretty crap though isn't it... now Ebay have been informed, they are knowingly allowing the guy to sell illegal things, and they aren't just turning a blind eye, they are profiting from it..... :dontknow:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:17 
A posting God
A posting God

So true EB but the problem lays in the fact You were able to provide proof of ownership of your manual but could not show proof that he did not have the right to sell the other items. Ebay should ask him now to provide proof of ownership but will not because as you say, it interferes with their profit.

BackYard Aquaponics
ccBear's First System

BackYard Farming
CcBear's Dunbyu Gardens

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:25 

Man that is absolute bullshit!

You know I have always looked at ebay at a safe and secure site, and Im sure most people in this world do. Its stories like this that make you want to throw up. Surely an ombudsman or some kind of corporation could get involved and go through ebay with a fine tooth comb... its probably way overdue.

~Backyard farming~

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 15:57 
A posting God
A posting God

US corporation Charlie so no way.

BackYard Aquaponics
ccBear's First System

BackYard Farming
CcBear's Dunbyu Gardens

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 22:13 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
If your material is Copyrighted you can pursue him for damages in court? Maybe that 20 grand will come back to you. It may take a little time and effort but that is rightfully your money.

By the way, I am no expert, but I know what has worked for me.

My system
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19070
Upgrade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19517

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 22:17 
eBay, Amazon, Facebook... none of them give a toss about copyright... especially if it occurs outside of the "land of the free and the brave"... or unless it concerns themselves...

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 22:25 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
The seller could easily be pursued as the item location shows to be in the U.S. Ebay on the other hand may not be liable as they just "host" the sale and they removed the item once they were notified of the illegal good.

I do agree with Rupert that the sites couldn't care less as I am sure they have disclaimers in their T&C's page.

By the way, I am no expert, but I know what has worked for me.

My system
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=19070
Upgrade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=19517

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 22:33 
Funny how they bitch and scream about the Chinese (or others) infringing on IP or copyright though... :lol:

PostPosted: Oct 18th, '13, 23:22 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Not Sure
I would almost be inclined to purchase 1 copy of everything he has for sale to see if it has reference to the actual owner in it and then notify them of what is happening, maybe if there are enough complaints he will get shut down properly, if not and he tries to sell under a different name at least there will be a record of that item being pirated before.

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '13, 08:57 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
Hi Joel,

Thank you for contacting eBay's VeRO Program in regard to this Notice of Claimed Infringement.

We appreciate the clarification you have provided and have further reviewed the NOCI and item you identified.

We want to assist you is getting this resolved. However, we need to know what is being infringed so that we can provide that information to the seller
when we remove the item. Your notice only states 3.2, and your clarification mentions an electronic book. So we can update your VeRO profile, could
you provide the name and some information about the book that is being reproduced? If you offer this book on your website, a link to the item would
be a great help.

The Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program is designed to process reports of intellectual property infringement. From the information provided, however, the nature of intellectual property infringement you are attempting to report is unclear.

Thank you for your concern in helping to keep eBay a safe and reputable forum in which to conduct business. We appreciate your participation in the VeRO Program and look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Jim V.

Frigging useless, basically obstructional... There was no place to fill out any details on the original fax form. The last email just said "The Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program is designed to process reports of intellectual property infringement. From the information you have sent us, your intellectual property concerns remain unclear." The guy obviously got spooked and removed my book from sale himself because I wrote to him, while these guys just continue to make it harder for me.... :upset:

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '13, 15:41 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oh yeah.... more of them...

I just did a search for "ibc of aquaponics" on ebay and there's at least 13 different auctions up there selling bulk ebook packages, including the ibc of aquaponics in them...

Man people are cheeky....

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Oct 24th, '13, 16:09 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
Got one today saying I have payed $6.00 for fishing gear in paypall if this is wrong log in and put in your details and the money will be refunded
[I wonder how many they get]