All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Oldest system you have?
PostPosted: Feb 25th, '14, 12:06 

Are you human?: YES
I am a newbie and this is my first post. I would like to start an aquaponics system this fall and I am aiming for a stocked system by next spring, I joined to do some research and ask some questions. I would like to be able to get a system running and then ask the questions if I'm lucky, but we will see. I have a location and plan set out, looking at GH, FT, BG now for pricing. I was just wondering as I only want a one family of five and give some away to family and friends size system, and would like it to be around awhile. How old can a system "grow" to be and how big should I make it? I am currently looking at a 6ft x 8 ft greenhouse? (1.8 meter by 2.4 meter).

Thanks for advise, knowledge and pictures.

Ben

Advertisement

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '14, 03:43 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Im right there with u. I have a thread posted as well hope for some advice other than what ive found on the web

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '14, 08:55 

I think you need to give some additional thought to how many veggies your family consumes. A 6 x 8 greenhouse probably isn't going to give you even close to enough food but I guess it depends on how many veggies you eat. The other thing about a small greenhouse like this is the height won't give you much room for climbing plants like tomatoes, pole beans, cucumbers and anything else you might want to trellis. I speak from experience since this is the size of greenhouse I currently have.

I would suggest a minimum of 10 x 12 for the greenhouse and even this probably won't be large enough if your intent is to grow all the veggies your family eats. Harbor Freight has these at reasonable prices if you don't want to build your own. You can usually catch a sale price like they have with one of their April coupons and they'll probably let you apply one of their 25% off super coupons as well. This is the greenhouse I'm talking about and they have a coupon to get it for 599.99 (their April mailing) then if they let you take another 25% off this price, so figure 449.99. The greenhouse will need some structural modifications to strengthen it but these are fairly easy and there are even videos on YouTube that others have made showing what they did.

How old the system can get depends on what the growbeds and tanks are made from. Pond liner has about a 20 year life and I'm guessing that stock tanks do as well. The clay pellets can go much longer. The PVC pipes maybe up to 10 years if they're exposed to the sun, longer if they aren't.

Another thing to think about is if you'll need to shut the AP system down in Winter. It's either that or spend lots on heating.

Sorry if this is a bit discouraging but I Hope this helps. Cheers.

PostPosted: Apr 1st, '14, 09:01 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: yes
Yeah go for big :D

I've got a family of 5.5 and while I have surpluses of individual things I never have enough of everything either.

http://www.FishFarmers.com.au
https://www.facebook.com/fisharmers?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
http://hedgerowfarm.com.au/
https://www.facebook.com/HedgerowFarmVictoria/

PostPosted: May 4th, '14, 07:20 

Thanks for the advice. I was kind of thinking small and be able to double it if all works out and my family enjoys it. Also, I am going to run electricity and plan to heat in the winter to about 45 degrees F.