All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Skeg in the hills
PostPosted: Nov 1st, '15, 23:22 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Yup
That trout was from last years flings boss. I think it is possible to breed trout with the right conditions but at $2 a fish I reckon it's easier to buy as I don't stock many. We are lucky to have a supplier doing a trip to Chiedys AP twice a year so it's only 30mins away to get them.

Oh and in case anyone's interested, all fish are OK after the pH episode.. 1.5pH rise in less than an hour and no problems, go figure...

Advertisement

PostPosted: Nov 3rd, '15, 20:33 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Hi Skeggley all looks good mate it looks like the trout is egg bound, I know that can also cause them to die its a bugger bouncing the ph though hope all is good mate.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '15, 07:21 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
I don't think a pH1.5 change in an hour is that big of an issue, despite the "well known fact" that you shouldn't change it by more than 0.4 in one go/in one day. Fingerlings easily survive pH 1 - 1.5 changes over short periods when transferred from transport water to FT, with no apparent ill effects.

If I can keep my trout over summer and end up with heaps of eggs like that, I'll feed them to the chooks, I reckon they would go for them.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '15, 15:52 

Are you human?: YES
I agree with Gordon on the pH changes and have had Bluegill survive a large pH change during a transfer when I forgot to check. I don't remember the exact difference anymore (it's probably around here somewhere), they were briefly stunned but none were lost. I still recommend lower changes but I think the amount of change depends on the fish and how much stress they are already under. It also makes a difference if you're raising or lowering the pH, partly because of the existing ammonia levels.

PostPosted: Nov 4th, '15, 22:01 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Frank1069 wrote:
Hi Skeggley all looks good mate it looks like the trout is egg bound, I know that can also cause them to die.

Yes Frank, I reckon you're right, egg bound, after a bit of a Google that explains everything, thanks.
We've had eggs in them before but not filling the whole cavity. It would have been almost half its weight! Stuff all meat on it so don't think it'd been eating which explains the flesh colour but still smoked up alright.
Yes Gordon, the chooks ate well but after carrying the Stoopid thing thru last summer I would rather have had the weight in flesh.

I remember back when I joined the forum and had just stocked with my first trout, following a thread by Jayendra titled something like 'help I've just killed all my fish' where he had just chucked a couple of handfuls of like to raise his plunging pH and unexpectedly ending up having trout for dinner....
I've always tried to raise it slowly as per safe instructions 0.4pH per day, learn from others mistakes I say.....yet... :shifty:

Peace out.
:thumbright:

PostPosted: Nov 5th, '15, 00:41 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes I have seen that before from the trout fishing association I know you can milk them if they start showing signs but in the club we started buying triploids which only have eating and growing in mind lol they cost a bit more but I think worth it.

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '15, 19:14 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Thanks for the input guys, glad to see someone actually reads our thread... :)

So whilst I'm online and not just browsing off line as I usually do I'll post some photos.

Much going on in the gbs, corn, watermelons, rockmelon, pepino, beetroot, parsley, squash, zucchini, celery, lettuce and of course tomato's among other things.
Silvers still growing and hungry and the trout still there. I have used up 20 kgs of 7mm skrettings with 15 trout and have now run out but I don't feed during warm days but I do need to start to start the culling... Still...
So photos, the first is Nats corner with the barrels and tomato's powering although we have a visitor pinching the tommies when they ripen during the night.... Rats or mice we think so the bait is out so I'm expecting the shed to get stinky soon......
Stumpy was pulled out a couple of weeks ago and smoked up really well.
And the last photo, although not AP related, was a monitor lizard that our 2 1/2 girl pointed out inside the house. She complained about a gecko in her play area..... Yes it surprised us however it was great to handle, good buzz.
Anyway hope everyone's well and have a great Christmas and New Year, thanks for everyone's input this year and stay safe. :wave:

Attachments:
File comment: AP
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 122.97 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]
File comment: StumpyIII
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 98.22 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]
File comment: Mertins water dragon
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 115.4 KiB | Viewed 2208 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 16th, '15, 20:35 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Sweet system and yikes that's a big lizard. Happy new year and merry Christmas to you and your family as well

PostPosted: Dec 31st, '15, 23:30 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Thanks Boss.

So this wraps up another year of AP.
What have I learnt this year? Not much. Trying to be less higgledepiggldy and planting less varieties in one gb and being more conscious of what we eat and growing that....
The systems are getting more productive as time passes and as yet have no bed clogging issues whatsoever.
We pulled the trout out today and the tank is now empty for the first time since the first trout went in a couple of years ago. I'll give it a bit of a scrub and perhaps move some sps in. Great sized trout this year, several over a kilo and out of the 15 we put in we got 11 out, don't know what happened to the other 3 but there's been a hawk standing on the ft wall eying off the fish but more than likely they have jumped and been consumed by the dog.....

Fishtank of the year goes to Boss.
Greenhouse of the year goes to markb.
Moderator of the year goes to Scotty.
And Gunna's 2nd larger system gets the system of the year.
The encouragement award goes to anyone who started a system this year. :D
Well done people I'm sure many have gained inspiration from you guys. :headbang:

We hope you all have a happy and productive new year.
Thanks to everyone for their input and advice this year.
Take care all.
:wave:

Attachments:
File comment: Corn and zuccini.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 146.08 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
File comment: Three out of control tomato's.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 158.85 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]
File comment: Trout
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 102.86 KiB | Viewed 2145 times ]

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '16, 06:20 
A posting God
A posting God

All looks good Skeggley. I really wish I could raise trout. :(

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '16, 07:35 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
Hey Skeggley, thanks ;) Nice haul of trout. You have to keep an eye on the zucchini- leave them a few days without checking and you find they've become monsters!

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '16, 08:05 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
skeggley wrote:
.....I'm quite looking forward to my foray into the bee journey and am hoping to use these gals in the pic to get started.

I got my first hive a few weeks back.. one neighbour is sending hints of not being happy.. like news-paper cutouts of hives being confiscated because the neighbour felt threatened by the increased bee numbers..

Have you tried anything with the wild hive..??
I would think you might have troubles getting it out as you need to get the queen
And you need to remove the bulk of the brood and honey, to get them going in a standard hive.. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '16, 19:41 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Thought I WAS
boss wrote:
very cool, well and sad too. But yeah, look at all the roe! How old are the trout? I've been looking on PondBoss forum and they recommend putting old Christmas trees in the ponds for the fish. I think it's to give the fish a place to protect eggs and then fry. I'm such a newbie, I'll keep reading maybe by the time my trout are ready I'll have a better idea what is what and either build a place in the pond for them to lay eggs or use my aquarium for eggs if I can get them to that stage without too many mishaps.

What would be real cool, would be trying to strip the females and milk a male and fertilise and grow the eggs...
I suspect someone on uTube will have a DIY for it..
We know that its possible to do it, because one chap has done it with salmon... much the same I guess..

PostPosted: Jan 1st, '16, 22:35 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Sure BuiDoi it does seem possible to breed your own however fry rearing looks stressful and a right pain in the ass, think I'll leave it to the pros, let them do the hard work, I'm happy to pay a couple of bucks for few fingerlings. I'm all about non complication, that's one of the reasons I find AP so appealing. I've got many other chores and projects around the property to fulfil, just ask the boss.... :shifty:

PostPosted: Jan 2nd, '16, 06:07 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: I hope so
Amen to that Skeggley. The work in them there hills never stops. The War Office makes use of all the modern technology to keep me informed of what I need to do.

Like your fish. How many did you grow out this year. What have your water temps been like?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 291 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 20  Next