All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
PostPosted: Mar 1st, '14, 22:55 

Are you human?: yes
Hi where can I get Macrbrachium larva supply in Australia
thanks Mermaid

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 5th, '14, 22:43 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
Old post that had lots of interest in something I am keen on, am investigating somewhere semi-locally that might do a freshwater prawn species for 80c each (and that's full tote, so maybe a discount can happen if we get a crew together), will let you know how I go

Build thread- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=21974&start=75

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '15, 05:25 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
hi everyone yes old post but sparked some interest anyone have any updates ?

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '16, 17:25 

Are you human?: depends on the day
Has anyone got any updates on this :dontknow: , i have found a local river with shrimp that may be the ones being discussed , want to go catch some but unsure on what to do to keep / Breed them , my son went swimming with his friends and they caught 6 for a mates fish tank , biggest around 6-7cm others around 4 cm

PostPosted: Jan 28th, '16, 23:58 

Are you human?: On most days
Can the prawn be farmed in the same tank as the fish......provided that there is enough room at the bottom?
And what's a good average on the stocking density?

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '16, 19:58 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Aquavee wrote:
Can the prawn be farmed in the same tank as the fish......provided that there is enough room at the bottom?
And what's a good average on the stocking density?

Yes, old post still may help future peeps. Stocking density I couldn't say, but they are highly territorial and cannibalistic. They could be farmed in the same tanks as fish but it's recommended to separate them with a cage that looks much like just a bunch of mesh folded over and over creating plenty of surface area for them to move away. Another recommendation is a high flow rate so they don't have the chance to attack each other as they focus on fighting the current. Another thing to note is they require saltwater to reproduce. Didn't see that mentioned but if it was then my bad.

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '16, 04:12 

Are you human?: YES
I'm looking into putting the prawn in a 12 ft round pool and running my system from that. I've emailed the U of TX and will need to call him soon before I set up. But here in ID Im required to submit my building plan for my green house. i'm still in the planning stage but will keep posting.

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '16, 07:54 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Freebird Aquaponics wrote:
But here in ID Im required to submit my building plan for my green house. i'm still in the planning stage but will keep posting.

Yeah, land of the "free" for ya. Good luck! I'm curious to see the results. What are you planning on feeding them and how are you planning on dealing with the cannabalism?

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '16, 09:51 

Are you human?: YES
Yeah no kidding! permits for this permit for that, license for this license for that. Thats just the city and county!

Looking over the info available from the U TX and Craig I'm going to try PVC towers or cages with bird netting every three inches for the majority of the 30in height of the FT. and some how in crease the flow in the FT.

I'm also playing with the Idea to do a DWC bed and split it length wise so I can get some light into it and run them in there as well. I figure the roots and such should be good cover for them. We'll see what happens. As far as feed I was planning on using a commercial sinking trout feed.

Have you tried shrimp or prawns before?

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '16, 10:34 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Sounds like a plan! Does the trout feed have a higher protein % than most? Just curious.
And no I haven't raised any before but I've been reading up on aquaponics and researching this and that for a few years and they caught my eye. The only problems I can see are the reproduction via saltwater and feeding/separating the juveniles from the adults. But apparently it can be done so I wish you luck and hope to hear more on how it goes!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10