All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 260  Next
 Post subject: Re: Venting corner
PostPosted: Aug 8th, '16, 04:47 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Are you human?: no
My gripe for today [I normally have a gripe every day when you are old you can :think: ]
is doing something on the computer and every thing stops just to run adds
I make a mental note of what it was and will never buy or recommend that item to anybody :oops:
Yes the road workers
Here a few years ago driving a truck I was stopped in a line of traffic by a flagman
He let all the cars go and when I got to him stuck his flag out I just pulled the maxie brakes on and ripper two trenches in there newly layed tar
They are still having trouble with that spot years later

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '16, 15:56 

Are you human?: Yep
Stupid instructions are stupid...

Take this insane paragraph from the Tefal website for example

 Use only low to medium heat with your cookware at all times (including boiling water). Low to medium heat offers best cooking performance. High heat may damage your cookware and this type of damage is not covered under the guarantee. Use high heat only for reducing liquids. Medium to medium high heat for sautéing, stir frying and frying.
Low heat for warming food, simmering and preparing delicate sauces.

I asked them for the maximum temperature their frypans could handle on the cooktop (they give temps for putting your frypan into an oven on the site). I sent them a few emails, but I'm still waiting for a reply.

That was two years ago.

They have a dot that changes colour when "ideal" temperature is reached which they say is 190c. Ideal for what?

I guess the answer to what temperature is the max is "Whatever temperature I've been cooking at, but for only about one and a half years".

I have a new induction cooktop now, so I'll be buying another one and this time, I'll test their lifetime warranty every one and a half years because I can be sure of the temperature (I'll test the settings on the old pan to make sure they reflect reality, then I can safely tell them the highest temperature it ever went to over it's "lifetime")

Stupid instructions are stupid.

My system

120 THINGS IN 20 YEARS - My blog about my learning adventure

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Aug 13th, '16, 19:30 

Are you human?: yes
Food&Fish wrote:
Here a few years ago driving a truck I was stopped in a line of traffic by a flagman
He let all the cars go and when I got to him stuck his flag out I just pulled the maxie brakes on and ripper two trenches in there newly layed tar
They are still having trouble with that spot years later

I drive buses for a living and I never have this problem, but then we have a policy of always waving to the lollipop ladies and flag turners. They see our buses coming, they make an effort to let us through. :wave1:

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '16, 18:37 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I bought, washed and attempted to fill my grow beds with 1 cubic meter of scoria today.
The loader guy dumped 2 front end loader buckets worth in to my truck. Because it went into certain size containers it was easy to calculate that there was only 736 Lt of rock - nearly 3/4 of a cubic meter - "ripped off with under supply". Now I'll have to go back and politely convince them of this fact while getting another 920 Lt to finish the 3 beds. Grumble,grumble.

Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '16, 19:45 

Petesake wrote:
I bought, washed and attempted to fill my grow beds with 1 cubic meter of scoria today.
The loader guy dumped 2 front end loader buckets worth in to my truck. Because it went into certain size containers it was easy to calculate that there was only 736 Lt of rock - nearly 3/4 of a cubic meter - "ripped off with under supply". Now I'll have to go back and politely convince them of this fact while getting another 920 Lt to finish the 3 beds. Grumble,grumble.

Pete.

That's going to be a tough complaint.

You might be best off starting by asking someone else to get a quote for the same amount and ask them to tell you how many buckets that is and record them on their phone. It might be worth getting that before you complain because they will just say they gave you two and a half scoops or whatever.

Then try the Ombudsman's office with a not fit for purpose or fraudulent volume claim.

Good luck.

My system

My skills include being able to move slowly forward in time, and if I really concentrate, I can sometimes tell what I'm thinking.

PostPosted: Sep 29th, '16, 19:46 

There's a thread somewhere to warn others of bad businesses on BYAP.

My system

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '16, 05:40 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Often soil yards sell their rock/mulch/soil by the trailer or ute load, which is 2/3 of a cubic metre. Our shop shared a car park with a soil yard and the bloke who owned this yard was also my landlord. Had many chats with him over the years and their standard load and prices were always 2/3. Buying by the cubic metre was a different price and generally only done when you had a larger truck or you were having it delivered..

Not that yours is definitely the same, but before you go down there angry, just be sure to save potential embarrassment.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Sep 30th, '16, 07:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
always by the M3 here in victoria.

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '16, 11:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: unsure
The landscape joints around here have weighbridges. So you know exactly what you are paying for.

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '16, 12:03 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: mostly
Brian wrote:
The landscape joints around here have weighbridges. So you know exactly what you are paying for.

except that due to varying specific weight of materials (kg/m3) knowing the weight does not translate to an accurate volume unless you have checked it somehow first and/or know what it is with confidence.
Most likely yourself independently.

It also presumes you weigh your trailer/truck unloaded on way in.

I suspect they probably weigh it as much to meet legal liability (overloading).

It is a common misconception that a trailer full is 1m3.
As EB notes - pretty much 3/4 m3 tops for most 6x4 heaped or 7x4 level

2 scoops is common way to load but sadly most people don't tell you the volume of their scoop.

maths say 7" x 4" x 1" = 2.1m x 1.2m x 0.3m = 0.75m3

[edit] incidentally for many materials 2/3 to 3/4 m3 is pretty much 1-1.5 Tonne which is potentially at or over the load limit for many single axle trailers anyway.

May the fish sh*t and the plants grow.....

PostPosted: Sep 30th, '16, 12:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: unsure
Weighed on the way in and out.

And knowing the load being carried means you know if you are overweight before you depart the yard. No point saving 30 bucks on delivery and getting fined for overloading or having a crash and potentially no insurance.

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '16, 09:15 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I went back to Supersoil Healesville armed with a sketch, a page of calculations and photos with a tape measure showing the remaining height.
I'd calculated they'd under supplied by more than 25%. I told the shop keepers that I calculated that the scoria I purchased the day before was under volume. They looked over my calculations and photos and seemed to understand. When asked if they knew they were under supplying they told me the unit of measurement was the 1/2 meter bucket and two of them were supplied. I reminded them that they only supplied 0.736 of a cubic meter and suggested their bucket was only 3/4 meter bucket. One of them rang the boss who said the bucket is half a meter.
The shop keeper wouldn't budge so I said It's like going to the bank to change a $100 note to smaller denominations and receiving $75.00. I pointed out the amount I should be paying for the next 3 buckets encompassing the correction for the last 2, he said no way. I said I still need another 3 buckets so he gave me a third of the disagreed amount off.
They say they're going to look into it but they never took my contact details and to be honest I don't mind paying a little more for the good stuff.

Just another thing to be wary of.
Pete.

1 viewtopic.php?t=27800
2 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27965
3 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=28231

PostPosted: Oct 1st, '16, 10:48 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: maybe
scoria can be found anywhere in Vic, if they are going to do that i would go elsewhere.

PostPosted: Oct 4th, '16, 00:27 

If you know they are not selling the amount they are claiming and can show it, please report them to the ombudsman, even if you end up getting a decent deal in the end.

People shouldnt be allowed to keep ripping others off, and my mum might not be quite as good as you at negotiating a decent outcome, or even noticing that she got burnt.

And lets face it.... in the end, it's all about my mum :)

My system

PostPosted: Oct 19th, '16, 07:46 

I dont get it...

If I gave someone's kids a disease I could have prevented I would be a

[pages and pages of stuff edited, re-edited, then deleted]

I'm looking after my mum for a couple of weeks and talking to her about the times... yes times (twice) she had Polio.

Polio = no fun

none

none fun at all

not even a bit of fun

just waiting for official people to come around to your bed and hurt you a bit more than it already hurts

No fun

The reason there is not so much polio these days, is because people like my mum gave people like me polio vaccine.

Thanks mum.

Quite a good idea you had there not putting me through that, and not exposing ANY of my peers to it as well.

Thanks mum.

You totally did the right thing not having me go through that, and not exposing my peers to that as well.

Thanks mum.

I vent thus

My system

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 260  Next