All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Tilapia Feed
PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 07:20 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
Well at least you stopped adding your inaccurate information to the thread and just settled into personal attacks.

I am sorry i hurt your feelings. retaliate away.

Reproducing Sunfish (Bluegill/Redear/Crappie)
Feed training Crappie
Breeding tilapia

Advertisement

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 07:37 
A posting God
A posting God

+1 cotton
Can't we all just get along? lol

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 08:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: Yes
Or could FarmerMichael limit his replies be on-topic, instead of attacking other people. We can disagree without personally attacking.

PS: BSF shouldn't be more than 1/3 of anybody's diet.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 08:29 
A posting God
A posting God

smatthew wrote:
Or could FarmerMichael limit his replies be on-topic, instead of attacking other people. We can disagree without personally attacking.

PS: BSF shouldn't be more than 1/3 of anybody's diet.

So I should only be eating 1/3 of my daily food? I'm going to need to cut back on them at dinner then.

It'd be a boring world if we all agreed on everything, I don't see disagreeing with somebody as a personal attack. If somebody needs to resort to name calling or nasty responses to try and win, they've already lost IMO.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 18:49 
A posting God
A posting God

Have to agree with Colum again. I'll up the ante a bit, and say I enjoy reading the verbal sparring a bit. lol
Colum, next time I'm in Adelaide, we're going to have a beer mate. You know what they say about great minds thinking alike?

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 19:58 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Gmo will not feed the planet. What column mentioned over "thousands" of years is not gmo. That's natural breeding. "Speeding it up" is done by injecting a virus, and bacteria and using Botox so the introduction of the NON related gene doesn't get rejected, like it NORMALLY would in nature. These guys are fking with nature and are only making farmers further dependent on the same chemicals and pesticides they also sell. Imagine the potato famine of Ireland, due to no diversification in the type of plants used, on a WORLD wide scale because now all of the seeds I am trying to save each year to make for a better plant next year are ALL bastardized by these gmo seeds and potentially everything develops famine like disasters due to lack of diversification and some disease that wipes out the few left by Monsanto.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 23:28 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Affirmative.
You nailed it right there, swflcpl. The real issue with GMO isn't the process of changing the plants genetics, it's the lack of diversity in our diets and the diets of the livestock we eat. The GMO plants are completely safe in my opinion. The problem is most of the cattle in the US eat the same exact strain of corn, when they should be eating grass... I'll stop here.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 23:37 
A posting God
A posting God

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/natur ... with-gmos/

This is from a farmer who is also a scientist at Cornell. “There is not a single documented case of anyone being hurt by genetically modified food, and yet this is a bigger problem for people than pesticides, which we know have caused harm,” he says. “I just shake my head in bewilderment at the folks who take these stringent positions that biotech should be banned.”

You can buy grass fed and free range beef, sheep, chickens, you will just have to pay more for it.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 23:42 
A posting God
A posting God

It’s not just a problem in Indonesia, either. In parts of India, farmers spray more than 60 insecticides on their eggplant—known to locals as brinjal—during the growing season, mainly to protect the purple fruit from burrowing bugs, says Ponnuswami Balasubramanian, a plant molecular biologist at Tamil Nadu Agricultural University in Coimbatore, India. To reduce the insecticide load without losing the harvest, Balasubramanian, together with public sector researchers and a private Indian seed company, developed Bt versions of four varieties of eggplant that are popular in southern states. Monsanto was not involved, but still public outcry from GMO opponents blocked the eggplants from federal approval.

Nigerian farmers who rely on traditional farming techniques lose up to 30% of their crops.
“It was madness to stop Bt brinjal” says Kulvinder Gill, an agricultural geneticist at Washington State University in Pullman, Washington, who grew up in India and was not involved with the project. “People should not even be eating this brinjal because it has so much insecticide on it,” Gill says, “Anything to reduce that would be extremely beneficial.”

The reality is we will need all the scientific help we can get, including GMO's if we're going to be bale to feed the billions of people with the amount of farm-able land on this planet. You will see LESS pesticide use, and safer products. But people are just so hung up on the GMO hate mongers, they can't, or won't look into the science behind it.

PostPosted: Oct 15th, '14, 23:51 

Are you human?: Humans err, I Arrr!
Wow this thread got political. Personally, I think adding a grub composting element to the school project sounds like a great idea. They would need to be some large pods to handle all of the lunch waste, but I think it would be worth it. The important thing to remember is that BSF is a supplement. Personally, I spend the money on an organic fish feed. I have a strong opinion against GMO foods, so I vote with my dollars against it. That may be a little more challenging in a school environment, where money is tight. Studies have shown liver problems with an all BSFL diet, so I recommend keeping it to 1/3 of the diet too. There are other things to supplement with also. People will use other food scraps too. I have yet to get my tilapia to eat anything other than pellets, and what ever bugs or slugs I toss in. Vegetables are just left to float.

My Patio System

My Indoor System

No single drop of rain believes it is responsible for the flood.

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 01:43 
A posting God
A posting God

Sorry Ron...I didn't start it.lol I get mine to eat veggies, left on clips under the water, but rarely floating. Not sure why. They will eat small worms when they drop in, but not much else. I would likle to feed mine BSF, even as a supplement. I'm feeding several pounds a week now...up from a few cups. Plants are looking great, fish are putting on weight, and the smaller ones are catching up.

PostPosted: Oct 16th, '14, 07:11 
A posting God
A posting God

Anytime for a beer Chris!

I know very well how they alter the GMO food, I've done some decent study into it. But I've got to disagree that the slow cross breeding/selective breeding isn't GMO. It's playing with the genetics of the plant, to modify them into breeding a different offspring. And the slow method creates lots of diseases in the plants, and ends up with lots of other issues, it's very hit and miss.

The viruses used to introduce the different genes don't stay in the plants, they aren't going to jump from a plant to a human after the plant is steady, and has gone through a few seasons of natural breeding. The same with botox, I'm pretty sure a few people I know on facebook are using that with no problems.

The gene modification techniques are only going to become more common, in people for instance. For example, somebody with a high chance of cancer genetically, they could get a shot of the virus, get a bit of a flu, and then they won't need to worry about the cancer that killed the majority of the males in their family (for example).

And I agree that we shouldn't rely on a single strain of a plant, it's just asking for trouble, but when people ban it, push back development, hold up banners in protest, it puts back the more ethical companies that will come in and have a go, and we're left with the more ruthless companies who don't care about what people are saying, and will create the product that'll bring them in the most money, and keep people reliant on them.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 05:08 

Are you human?: YES
Personally, I feel it is naive to think that the level of human science as it stands can match what nature does, let alone vastly improve upon it. Yes, a gardener can cultivate better crops through knowledge and diligence but I'm not talking about that.

The problem lies within our diets as humans, annual agriculture is not how the growing populace of the world will be fed. Adopting a perennial type agriculture and spreading knowledge of organic and sustainable practices would be a great start, IMO.

So about that tilapia feed... LOL

PostPosted: Apr 6th, '15, 16:18 

Are you human?: Alien here
coachchris wrote:
Sorry Ron...I didn't start it.lol I get mine to eat veggies, left on clips under the water, but rarely floating. Not sure why. They will eat small worms when they drop in, but not much else. I would likle to feed mine BSF, even as a supplement. I'm feeding several pounds a week now...up from a few cups. Plants are looking great, fish are putting on weight, and the smaller ones are catching up.

If you look at fish in the wild floating leaves and vegetation is used as cover / protection and not food. Maybe that's the reason?

@OP: From what I've read there are a lot of varying opinions on types of feed. Ideally you want a balanced diet for your fishies. The amount and frequency of feeding will depend on your system's ammonia / nitrite levels as well as the behavior of your fish. There's no set hard-and-fast 'rule' about the amount and frequency to feed as there are too many variables to consider.

Generally speaking as long as your ammonia / nitrite levels are low then you can feed as much as they'll eat, if they stop feeding remove any excess food from the tank. If you see them following you or other humans around the tank or hanging around on the surface those are sometimes behaviors that they're hungry. Consistency will be the best option, pick times that work with your schedule and observe for aforementioned behaviors.

Other than that, play around with the feed and find the best one suited for your fishies / plants (talk to your plant guy about what the plants need for nutrients and compare notes as most of the macro / micro nutrients for your system will be provided via whatever feed you guys use).

PostPosted: Nov 29th, '16, 21:02 

Are you human?: YES
Colum Black-Byron:
Interesting remarks about GM crops etc, my worry is can you trust people like Monsanto who when asked about Roundup stated very clearly that it caused no harm to Bee's.