All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Mar 15th, '19, 02:56 

Are you human?: no
Hi All,

I would like to set aquaponics system with my current pond. My pond is about 300 gallon. It's been set up for more than 3 years ago. I have about 10 goldfish and koi with floating plants and water lilies. Currently, the pump inside the pond is pumping the water to a waterfall weir and the water is circulating back to the pond.

I plan to set up a small growing bed tub (45 gallon) with hydroton. I will then plumb the outflow of the pond pump into this growing bed with a bell siphon. With the siphon, the water will be drained to the waterfall weir and then back into the pond. Will this design work? I understand that with this set up I won't get a constant waterfall flow anymore.

Thanks.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 04:12 

Are you human?: Yes.
Hi,
have you consider making 2 outflows the bigger rate for t he waterfall and the other to the bed tub.
watefall is a great way to oxygenate water, it s not a concern with small load of fish but if you plan to add more fish it will be good.

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 04:16 

Are you human?: Yes.
I forgot, if you can dig, dig for a sump tank below the level of the pond or you will have change in water level.
good luck

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 09:59 

Thanks for your feedback. Haven't thought about 2 outflows to the waterfall. I don't have space to dig sump below the level of the pond.

ms.bz wrote:
Hi,
have you consider making 2 outflows the bigger rate for t he waterfall and the other to the bed tub.
watefall is a great way to oxygenate water, it s not a concern with small load of fish but if you plan to add more fish it will be good.

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 10:38 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
Instead of messing with the existing pond/pump/waterfall set up, you could run a separate small pump for the grow bed. With a GB of that capacity you could use a bell siphon with a 15mm standpipe, in which case, depending on head height, you could get away with a pump as small as 600Lph. The higher the head, the larger the pump will need to be.

PostPosted: Mar 16th, '19, 11:50 

If I get this right, install another pump to pump water from the pond and install another outflow pipe into the pond?

Mr Damage wrote:
Instead of messing with the existing pond/pump/waterfall set up, you could run a separate small pump for the grow bed. With a GB of that capacity you could use a bell siphon with a 15mm standpipe, in which case, depending on head height, you could get away with a pump as small as 600Lph. The higher the head, the larger the pump will need to be.