All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 170  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 13th, '07, 20:04 

Are you human?: YES
That is one possible reason for my death. I had it in water taken from my system. Hi in nitrate - but that would be about it. Still think it was the sun though.

Advertisement

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 13th, '07, 20:24 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
i's still say sun too. apparently its the direct sun that does it, i think the water directly under the duckweed mat can get *frack* hot.

PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 06:36 
Spam Assassin (Be afraid!)
Spam Assassin     (Be afraid!)

More proof of the filtration power of aquaponics....

Over the past couple of weeks the Davey pump in the sump has bee struggling to keep up with demands. Part of the problem is that the ibc is too small as a sump :oops: The Davey pump is on loan from my FIL and we didn't want to kill it. So we bit the bullet and got one of Joel's new pumps (lovely and shiny :D ), which is a great pump, a lot quieter (good for neighbourhood relations ;) ), but which has a slightly smaller capacity than Davey. :? After the new pump had been running for a few days it was blindingly obvious that things still weren't good enough.

The sump would overflow, losing water, we were having to add heaps of water each day just to keep the system running. Not good :? The fish had slowed drastically in their feeding, and it wasn't just the recent cold snap.

On Friday, we installed skin fittings to the existing ibc sump and to the spare ibc (people keep giving them to me ;) ) with a pipe in between. Axl also put a loop siphon through the 2" pipe to make sure of flow.

The pumps have been running properly ever since and the fish are back to their starving hungry selves! We haven't had to add any water which is also great.

Attachments:
File comment: all the bits for 2 inch skin fittings, our local irrigation shop had them in stock
DSCF0004.JPG
DSCF0004.JPG [ 65.39 KiB | Viewed 4804 times ]
File comment: the skin fittings and connecting flexible pipe
DSCF0010.JPG
DSCF0010.JPG [ 62.33 KiB | Viewed 4806 times ]
File comment: overhead view of the twin sumps
DSCF0005.JPG
DSCF0005.JPG [ 60.99 KiB | Viewed 4800 times ]

................................................................. . Image
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 06:46 

the loop inside

Because the 2" pipe is halfway up the ibc, we needed to make sure that there would always be heaps of water available. After the water level in the ibc's has been pumped below the level of the 2" pipe, the loop siphon runs slowly, but steadily, refilling the first ibc (where the pump is).

Note: the first ibc is a white one, not translucent. The floor of that ibc has the remains of the 25kg bag of shell grit and the silt from the Min-Plus dust that went in a couple of months ago.

We're still deciding whether to put some redclaw or rainbowfish in one of the ibcs.

Attachments:
File comment: the first ibc, loop circle held secure on a wire frame, which also holds it down in the water
DSCF0008.JPG
DSCF0008.JPG [ 29.69 KiB | Viewed 4798 times ]
File comment: the second ibc, hose held down by a rock
DSCF0009.JPG
DSCF0009.JPG [ 23.4 KiB | Viewed 4798 times ]
File comment: an external view, the water doesn't get above the red lines, which is great
DSCF0006.JPG
DSCF0006.JPG [ 69.18 KiB | Viewed 4807 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 07:48 
Seriously, this cant be healthy.

Jaymie, understand what you have done - the loop siphon would be working continuously but flow through the skin fittings would only happen when water level is above one (or both)

Is the only access to the tanks through the cap holes in the top of the IBC or have you cut a larger hole in them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 08:21 

The 2" flow through is to stop the overflow out of the first ibc. The grow beds drain in through the side/top of the first ibc. At certain points in the drain cycle there is too much water for the sump and pump to handle. It runs out the top of the ibc.

The access into the ibc's is through the top hole. The first ibc has a cut around the hole to allow the pump access (you can see that in one of the earlier photos), but the other one hasn't been cut at all. The skin fittings were inserted using my darling husband's agility (you should have seen him with his arm shoved all the way into the ibc through the top to screw the skin fittings together :D ) as he lay on top of the ibc.

As a standby, we can also pipe the two ibc tap fittings together if we need to increase the flow through.

Attachments:
File comment: this is from before the Davey pump was removed, but it shows the pipes draining into the sump from the grow beds
ibc sump & pipes.jpg
ibc sump & pipes.jpg [ 56.69 KiB | Viewed 4824 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 08:47 

Are you human?: no
Jaymie wrote:
The 2" flow through is to stop the overflow out of the first ibc. The grow beds drain in through the side/top of the first ibc. At certain points in the drain cycle there is too much water for the sump and pump to handle. It runs out the top of the ibc.

The access into the ibc's is through the top hole. The first ibc has a cut around the hole to allow the pump access (you can see that in one of the earlier photos), but the other one hasn't been cut at all. The skin fittings were inserted using my darling husband's agility (you should have seen him with his arm shoved all the way into the ibc through the top to screw the skin fittings together :D ) as he lay on top of the ibc.

As a standby, we can also pipe the two ibc tap fittings together if we need to increase the flow through.

see my strainer set up for ibc/s works realy well no gunk on the bottom also tee off the pipe from the taps and get a used pool pump [like mine ]you will have all the capasity you want those remote float switches from nightingale can be used for any thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 09:09 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are you human?: YES- kinda
chuck the yabbies in the IBC with the min+ and shell grit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 10:23 
:oops: That'd be right Jaymie..... even your sump tank's bigger than most peoples fish tank :sigh:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 10:26 

hehehehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 12:33 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Wow..... 2000L sump.... :?

Is that 32mm pipe coming from the pump back to your tank Jaymie? Just checking because I used a reducer and 25mm pipe for my return and everynow and then if my system is too full of water, the return can;t keep up because of the smaller diameter pipe.. Now I use 32mm fitting on all my main lines, even though it's a bit more expensive and harder to get bits for..

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 12:36 

Are you human?: YES
Good to hear that 32mm is a popular size since I have 200 metres of the stuff :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 17th, '07, 14:17 

no, currently coming back from the sump is 25mm rural (like you Joel we have a huge range of pipe sizes here ;) )

32mm is all pvc right? I'd have to get 8m pipe, 3 x 90o and 1 x 45o fittings to get it back to the tank. One problem is that the pipe runs across the ground and needs to be able to withstand dog and kid traffic. The 25mm pipe is enclosed in some of the 63mm poly as protection. Plus I think Axl would kill me if I went and bought new fittings for different pipe :shock:

At this stage, all seems good with the sumps and pumps. The system may cycle at a slower rate than most BYAP systems, but if we stay at a lower stocking rate the fish, bacteria and veggies should be able to cope with it all. The fish are heaps happier than they were last week before all this happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 18th, '07, 10:11 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Good to hear.... :)

Profile Personal album  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Jun 24th, '07, 19:34 

the weather here has been record breaking. Our coldest June max on record, 13.9o and more rain so far this month than the previous record.

What this means for AP is that everything has ssssllllllooooowwweeeddd ddddooowwwnnn. The tank temp got down to 15o, but has risen to 18o today. The fish are not terribly hungry (hardly surprising) and have been huddled around the pump (maybe it's putting out some heat)

The fish got a big feed today of beetle grubs and worms from the potato patch and seemed very pleased with that, thank you very much :D

I also cleaned out three of the blue drums yesterday, and the cucumber vines. The cucs had done their dash and were just urky scraggly vines anyway ;) The two main experimental beds have been cleared and the remains of the plants given to the chooks. The carrots in sand grew very well, as plants go, but the roots were a bit disappointing. The largest carrot was only about 8cm long. The tops of the carrots were lush and everything looked happy, but the roots didn't really do much. They tasted nice though ;)

The beetroots in sand and cocopeat grew great picking leaves.... the tubers, again were disappointing, nothing worth harvesting and eating.

Axl has taken a few of the plants and put them in the dirt garden to see if they'll come good.

The two drums have been replanted: carrots in cocopeat and sand, and beetroot in sand. We'll see if the swap makes a difference :D

I also reseeded the beans, peas, cabbages and lettuce.

As we are expecting minimums this week of about 8o, we're putting a plastic cover over the tank to try to reduce some of the heat loss. It should go up tomorrow, I'll try to remember to take some pics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2545 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 170  Next