All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260
 Post subject: Re: Venting corner
PostPosted: Aug 28th, '18, 20:14 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
LowCarbTNPer wrote:
Freedom from government overreach. Not everyone believes in the "social contract" or whatever you want to call it and you shouldn't force a U.S. citizen to pay for other people's care/services. The same people probably also would say they don't want to pay for other people's unemployment, etc. and that these kinds of things should come from voluntary donations through private charities/church/etc.

-------------
MartinC wrote:
I understand that some people don't want to be involved in the social contract. But it surprises me that people think that by willfully not paying for other people's services somehow doesn't affect them. But let's be honest the intention is not to make someone pay for the services others receive. The intention is actually for nearly everyone to pay for healthcare cover and then that also helps people that can't afford it, where they get to benefit from a group effort.

It's kinda funny that someone will be happy to ensure that minimum wage stays rock bottom, accept their services everywhere but then blame those people for not being able to afford basic (but overpriced) medical services as if it is somehow their fault or because they are lazy or something.

The bottom line is that having millions of people not covered by healthcare has a very negative impact in our society.
It absolutely does, it's just not really measurable. But if you have people in your society with long term untreated illnesses, people dying in circumstances where they could have been helped or saved and people that are living subpar quality of life because they can't get the treatment they need it totally has an impact on every individual and society as a whole. It causes a huge amount of difficulty and negative issues but of course if you can't put it on a ledger in a debit/credit column for many people it then simply does not exist.

Sorry I wrote way more than I was planning on writing! :?

Thank you so much MartinC. I believe you nailed it. We are seeing more desperation of peoples all over the world as the population explodes to a point where resources can't keep up with mouths to feed, which is exasperated by oligarchs removing more than their share and not returning enough to the workers to support the system they setup.
The phrase "Freedom from government overreach," is no doubt in my mind written by the Koch Brother's many right wing think-tanks to protect their own pocket books. The best place for a government to reach is social security for it's people.

The USA also has a system of legalized bribery which has put a lot of laws into effect which are specifically written by the corporations to benefit themselves. Senator Elizabeth Warren has written a fantastic anti-corruption bill which will probably never get passed because it will adversely affect 99% of our politicians. As the saying goes it's the thought that counts.
https://www.congress.gov/115/bills/s3357/BILLS-115s3357is.pdf

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '18, 20:34 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Unknown Cyborg
Looks like someone deleted my post so it loses all context, thanks for that smh...

But back to it I would say the anti-universal healthcare/anti-social contract people don't care about society as a whole but about themselves and their own pocketbook. As long as they can afford their own healthcare that's all that matters to them, otherwise they wouldn't be anti-social contract people :)

Arduino UNO Data Sender / Logger

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '18, 21:19 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hi LowCarbTNPer
I can go get the rest from my page, I didn't think about context, sorry. Oh crap I think you are right, it seems to be gone, now I'm double sorry. Thanks for the clarification on the "over reach" bit of it. I agree with you. I was looking at it also from a perspective of how people lately are getting charged up over immigration. Coming up with all sorts of reasons to blame immigrants and jobs losses overseas for our problems, when it seems to me the problem is the corporations would rather pay slave wages than help people with a living wage and they spend their money convincing Americans the problem is our fault or immigrants or Blacks or anyone but their policy of making money for their shareholders. Speaking of shareholders, I'm reading now that the corporations are using the tax break money to buy back their stock from shareholders instead of reinvesting them money into the economy. I believe it is their intention to bankrupt the country so they can dissolve social security.

Kinda dark, but I don't think it'll take too long to find out if it is true.
Brian

:?

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '18, 23:18 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Yeah, it's crazy levels of greed and just complete disregard for anyone but themselves. :(

PostPosted: Aug 28th, '18, 23:28 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: yes
I throw the oldest health insurance and care system of the world into the discussion.

Please take a note of the dates and who Bismarck was.

http://healthmatters4.blogspot.com/2011 ... model.html

A little side note the German model is financially extremely sound, private and non private insurances have surpluses in the billions of Euro.
A 100% coverage, no deductible, no co payment private insurance is less than 400 a month, in Europe.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 00:52 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

That's cool. I do blame a lot of the price of healthcare on private insurance not being regulated. Massive addition of admin. overhead, costs increasing all the time both because of the overhead and also greed of operators knowing they can charge more to the insurance company. The cost of a Doctor's education is also way too high making their salaries go up more so they both pay off their student loans and get that BMW.

Even if we did adopt Germany's system our healthcare would cost more for probably the 1st 10-20 years just due to the health of the average American and level of access a lot of people have now, but eventually should normalize around the same level as European countries.

PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 07:43 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
LowCarbTNPer wrote:
Looks like someone deleted my post so it loses all context, thanks for that smh...

)

Unlikely, posts only get deleted if spam or people get highly abusive. Post deletion is VERY rare.. glitches in the forum or in posting do happen occasionally.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Aug 29th, '18, 11:46 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

earthbound wrote:
LowCarbTNPer wrote:

)

Unlikely, posts only get deleted if spam or people get highly abusive. Post deletion is VERY rare.. glitches in the forum or in posting do happen occasionally.

No worries, this was in another thread originally and when it got moved they trimmed the post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3893 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 256, 257, 258, 259, 260