All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next
PostPosted: May 22nd, '18, 21:31 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Good morning.
We finally got a little bit of rain. I don't know if it was measurable, but it got the ground wet.
Attachment:
Raining-on-Koi-pond-May-21-2018.jpg
Raining-on-Koi-pond-May-21-2018.jpg [ 162.04 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

Maybe we'll get lucky and it will rain again today.
Attachment:
A-little-rain-livens-things-up-Elk-May-22-2018.jpg
A-little-rain-livens-things-up-Elk-May-22-2018.jpg [ 131.72 KiB | Viewed 675 times ]

This is around day seven for me with absolutely no wheat gluten or dairy. I feel better today than in a long while.
I'm also 120 pages into Dr. Tom O'Brian's "The Autoimmune Fix" 300 page extraordinary book. I feel empowered and I'm getting an education on how the immune system works. This is so much better than what MDs have to offer which from what I've seen, is really nothing as far as a cure goes. I won't harp on it here, except to say if you are on the autoimmune spectrum, this will help you to find out what modern medicine is doing right now to cure these terrible diseases.
Attachment:
My-first-Sauerkraut-day-3-May-22-2018.jpg
My-first-Sauerkraut-day-3-May-22-2018.jpg [ 84.44 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

Yay, the sauerkraut is bubbling! That's means it's working. This process has been an eye opener for me on pickling. I added nothing but sea salt and mashed the cabbage. It's making all that water and vinegar all by itself. So cool!

Our trout appear to have recovered from me almost suffocating them when I stirred up their 2600 gallon overstocked fish tank. We harvested two dozen fish a couple weeks ago. The freezer is packed. We ate two that night and two more a few days later. We'll harvest another dozen soon and that should get the fish load down to around fifty trout, oh yeah we had around ten floaters too. Poor fish, I'm sorry.
Thank goodness the rest look okay and are feeding well again.
Another plus is my new diet suggests I can eat cold water fish four times a week!
Attachment:
Aquaponics-May-22-2018.jpg
Aquaponics-May-22-2018.jpg [ 210.54 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

The addition of EDDHA chelated iron four weeks ago really brought a nice deep green color to all the plants. I'm trimming the older leaves which had mobile nutrient deficiencies showing as green veins with pale leaves.
Another great thing about our (yes. I'm dragging my wife along on the gluten-free) new diet is what we eat needs as many deep and brightly colored vegetables as possibles in every meal as possible.
Attachment:
Colorful-meal-with-three-items-from-our-aquaponics.jpg
Colorful-meal-with-three-items-from-our-aquaponics.jpg [ 127.49 KiB | Viewed 693 times ]

Yesterday we also had a meal with three things form our aquaponics system. This beautiful lettuce, collard greens and cherry tomatoes included. Hopefully tonight we will add broiled trout to that and have four things from the greenhouse!
Cheers

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 22nd, '18, 21:55 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
So you stole my rain, I will remember that, that was so unfair.Hihihihi. We had about 16 drops and the wind was blowing like crazy.

Maybe today

PostPosted: May 22nd, '18, 22:07 
A posting God
A posting God

Indeed maybe today. Did you do the rain dance? It might help.
Attachment:
Morning-weather-report-shows-hope.png
Morning-weather-report-shows-hope.png [ 179.66 KiB | Viewed 634 times ]

Hehe don't look at that pollen count though, lol!

PostPosted: May 23rd, '18, 18:58 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
You guys should go in together to buy a tanker truck and drive it up and pump out the standing water between my yard and field. A couple days without rain coming up today tomorrow maybe Friday so hopefully the yard dries enough to mow because I tried last night but kept getting stuck. Need some better mud tires on my zero turn.

PostPosted: May 23rd, '18, 22:46 
A posting God
A posting God

We got some rain finally, not a gully washer, but a good hour long rainstorm. When I go outside I can hear a big gasping sigh of relief from the forest, or was that me?
Attachment:
Hey-what-is-this-stuff-coming-off-our-roof.jpg
Hey-what-is-this-stuff-coming-off-our-roof.jpg [ 163.26 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]

Yay!!!

PostPosted: May 25th, '18, 01:18 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Sweet. Gad to see this.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: May 25th, '18, 02:40 
A posting God
A posting God

How's it looking out on the West Coast David?
Good morning.
Attachment:
May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg
May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg [ 136 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Competition is not as great with 30 trout harvested.
Attachment:
May-24th-2018-hungry-Brook-Trout-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg
May-24th-2018-hungry-Brook-Trout-Aquaponics-greenhouse.jpg [ 135.61 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Curious thing, I believe the trout were jumping up and pulling the lettuce in the DWC down, because I keep seeing it floating in the pond. That might explain what happened to the Hornwart I added last year.
Attachment:
May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse-tomatoes-and-more.jpg
May-24th-2018-Aquaponics-greenhouse-tomatoes-and-more.jpg [ 135.41 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Out the back door, things are looking up. This morning, not green yet, but it soon will be, I'll bet.
Attachment:
May-24th-2018-Dawn-Backyard-looks-great.jpg
May-24th-2018-Dawn-Backyard-looks-great.jpg [ 72.91 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

It has rained now on three consecutive days :D
Attachment:
May-24th-2018-Dawn-Backyard-looks-great-1.jpg
May-24th-2018-Dawn-Backyard-looks-great-1.jpg [ 107.12 KiB | Viewed 707 times ]

Trout and aquaponics veggies two nights this week.
Every other meal has had at least three things we grew ourselves.
We love our new diet routine. I've reduced the immune system suppressants to almost nothing now. If I see see no adverse effects I will discontinue the sulfazine altogether in a week or two.
Good riddance, that is the wrong way to go imho. Our food causing autoimmune disease makes a lot more sense to me.
Anyway, we're both feeling renewed hope for a pain free retirement with this plan. Rheumatologist didn't have a plan other than make me comfortable while wither and die.
Brian

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '18, 22:41 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning!
Attachment:
June-7th-18-good-morning-DWC-waterfall-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg
June-7th-18-good-morning-DWC-waterfall-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg [ 229.55 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Things are progressing here with few setbacks along the way.
We quit using Amazon and moved over to Ebay for supplies. I ordered Lady Bugs for an aphid infestation which started about three weeks ago. This current order is from a new supplier and I'm not too happy the bugs aren't here yet! We hadn't planted any of the seedlings in the greenhouse because of the aphids. The Lady bugs are supposed to be here by Friday, grr. Since I ordered I see now the The Good Bug Guys are now on Ebay so next time I'm sticking with them. :support:
The Troutsies are doing really well and getting big.
Attachment:
June-7th-18-good-morning-Brook-Trout-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg
June-7th-18-good-morning-Brook-Trout-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg [ 172.19 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

oh yeah our fancy Hakku Matala L80 air pump has been causing trouble overheating and not making much air volume. I took it apart yesterday and see both internal pump diaphragms are cracked. We'll run over to Santa Fe today and pick up a rebuild kit. In the meantime I increased the flow to the DWC waterfall to to aeration happening in the 2600 gallon fish tank. So the fish are in good shape. It does mean that the new cone-bottom RFF isn't connected yet.
Attachment:
June-7th-18-Trout-hungry-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg
June-7th-18-Trout-hungry-bubbler-down-for-repairs.jpg [ 171.84 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

We're into the second week of our no dairy, wheat, and sugar diet and feeling pretty great. I have gone all in with this diet and removed the immune system suppressants in anticipation of better health.
Attachment:
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Worked-the-compost-pile-gets-moistre-from-Koi-pond-cleanouts.jpg
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Worked-the-compost-pile-gets-moistre-from-Koi-pond-cleanouts.jpg [ 284.29 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

Attachment:
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Peppers-Petunias-looking-good-2.jpg
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Peppers-Petunias-looking-good-2.jpg [ 243.11 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

We finally got our little VW Jetta TDI back on the road thanks to our friend Ziggy for doing the work I could not.
I'm at that point in my life that I am coming to terms with the fact that I am not going to be the powerhouse I once was.
I've also realized that it was because I got so heavy into working out that caused this pain I'm in today. These two items are intertwined in the New Brian.
It's time to let go of some of my big projects never realized like the Dodge diesel dump truck with the bad fuel injector pump. :support: We have way too much invested in that truck and can no longer justify spending more on it.
I think my antique tractor is next on the shed list.
Attachment:
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Peppers-Petunias-looking-good-2.jpg
June-7th-18-Bone-Dry-out-here-Peppers-Petunias-looking-good-2.jpg [ 243.11 KiB | Viewed 490 times ]

One more bright note is the drought seems to have put the kaibosh on the grasshopper plague! :laughing3:
Laters, good folks
Brian

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '18, 05:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
Brian those Trout are looking brilliant :thumbright:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Jun 10th, '18, 21:24 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
I'm showing off my masonry work this morning after seeing this over on https://permies.com/t/87387/Tony-year-stone-builder
Attachment:
Tony-year-stone-builder-sample-2.jpg
Tony-year-stone-builder-sample-2.jpg [ 94.54 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Attachment:
Tony-90-year-old-stone-builder.jpg
Tony-90-year-old-stone-builder.jpg [ 146.11 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Wow this is such a wonderful thread. I deeply appreciate such beautiful and functional rock work. Working with rounded edged rocks is difficult. I'm a masonry lover builder too, not 90yo, retired though and seeing the positive fruits of my labor as a self-sustaining lifestyle advocate.
Attachment:
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-3-June-10th-2018.jpg
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-3-June-10th-2018.jpg [ 208.18 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Attachment:
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-2-June-10th-2018.jpg
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-2-June-10th-2018.jpg [ 184.71 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Attachment:
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-June-10th-2018.jpg
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-north-side-June-10th-2018.jpg [ 208.94 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

Attachment:
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-June-10th-2018.jpg
Brians-Masonry-aquaponics-June-10th-2018.jpg [ 258.94 KiB | Viewed 368 times ]

The thing about doing mortared rockwork is how it looks years later.
Obviously we can't have cracks in the masonry when it needs to holds water :D

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '18, 22:29 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks @JoeBlow. Yeah the Brookies do look good, even though I did almost suffocate them to death, :oops:
I've been moving dirt from the bottom of the runoff pond by our house to fill in the ditch from construction of the addition of our house. Yeah about a year after I should have done it. It's a sign that indeed I feel better.
Attachment:
Digging-ditchwork-can-you-believe-it-June-12-18.jpg
Digging-ditchwork-can-you-believe-it-June-12-18.jpg [ 167.97 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

I went to turn on the water to our front garden this morning and nothing came out the hose... Doh!
Attachment:
Digging-digging-then-covering-covering-ditchwork-June-12-18.jpg
Digging-digging-then-covering-covering-ditchwork-June-12-18.jpg [ 129.34 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

There was a slight leak in the underground valve going to that spigot so I shut it off and tightened the fitting, a simple enough fix compared to the setup of an cover for the two valves feeding the house which I forgot I had to do before I filled in that section of ditch :?
Attachment:
Digging-digging-and-covering-ditchwork-June-12-18.jpg
Digging-digging-and-covering-ditchwork-June-12-18.jpg [ 132.05 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

I was all proud of myself for having quickly come up with a plan to make it easy to get to those valves when I needed to shut the water off. Well I guess I'll find out how "easy" it is to get to, because I forgot to turn the valve back on afterwards :upset: :naughty: :shock:
Attachment:
Re-thinking-greenhouse-extension-June-2018.jpg
Re-thinking-greenhouse-extension-June-2018.jpg [ 124.43 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

I believe I have a solution to one of the growing area problems with our green and fish house.
Attachment:
Re-thinking-greenhouse-extension-move-these-media-beds-June-2018.jpg
Re-thinking-greenhouse-extension-move-these-media-beds-June-2018.jpg [ 151.21 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

I want to move all four of these media beds into the yet to be built greenhouse extension. As many of you questioned the placement of the under/over media growing beds I stubbornly said it'll work because I was planning to plant vine plants like tomatoes in the bottom. Well yeah that worked, but another issue became apparent the layout of the roof also restricts sunlight to all the grow beds. The roof layout is fine for the fish house aspect, but it sucks for a greenhouse. I'll begin designing the greenhouse addition with better orientation to direct sunlight for these media beds plus at one full size DWC or media bed.
Attachment:
Koi-pond-June-11-18-Smoke-forest-fire.jpg
Koi-pond-June-11-18-Smoke-forest-fire.jpg [ 164.86 KiB | Viewed 304 times ]

The outdoor system is doing great this year. I have an idea to create a couple of wicking beds connected to the Koi pond.
I'm wondering if anyone is recirculating fish water or are all or your wicking beds closed loop systems?
I'm amazed that I'm not hurting more this morning after moving the largest load of dirt so far in the ditch filling project.
Of course I'm happy with this development and yes, I've got some aches happening, but normal ones.

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '18, 19:58 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
I thought wicking bed water was one and done?

Your projects reminds me of my projects, so I guess I'll get after it as well.....

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 19:55 
A posting God
A posting God

Nah, still very few projects get completely done. At this point there is a project backlog making it difficult to properly analyze my plans for any one project. I'm thinking of doing something like a raised bed with a liner which will hold three large felt air pots sitting in a few inches of Koi pond water. I'm stuck trying to figure out how to get the small amount of water out of the pond needed to keep the wicking bed trough wet.
What do you guys do to regulate the water entering the wicking beds?
Other projects include, but not limited to:
Attachment:
Re-thinking-Dodge-Dump-truck-project-too.jpg
Re-thinking-Dodge-Dump-truck-project-too.jpg [ 196.52 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

I don't recall if it was three or four years ago that Jason and I installed the new Pierce Arrow dump bed on my diesel Dodge dully only to find out after replacing the fuel injectors that the reason the engine wouldn't start was the injection pump had gone south. :upset: We have serious money invested in this vehicle and it bugs the hell out of me that it sits there useless.
----------
On a funner note we picked up another aquarium which my wife has "allowed" me to setup in our living room after we paint the room.
Here's the skinny on this project albeit this is going to be a Winter project, I can't stop thinking about it:
------------
Good morning
We recently picked up a 45 gallon 36"x23"x12" aquarium.
I'm thinking small Cichlids.
I'm now leaning toward Mikrogeophagus ramirezi and staying with the 45 gallon tank.
Attachment:
German-Blue-Rams.png
German-Blue-Rams.png [ 597.58 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

Water specs are close, but not perfect: Temperature: 26 – 30 °C pH: 4.0 – 7.0 Hardness: 18 – 179 ppm. Plenty warm, more acidic than what we have from well water, the hardness looks about right.
What do you think about the German Blue Rams? Will it be too difficult to keep adjusting the pH. I would like to try my luck with leaf litter type system.
On of the positive points with this setup is I can use the aquarium we already have for Cichlids.
Also, I want to redo our 50 gallon low tech planted tank and create a high tech system with a proper substrate and CO2.
I'm thinking of progressing in this order, I'll create a wooden cabinet for the 36"x23"x12" 45 gallon tank.
Currently I've cleaned and setup the Fluval 406 and set it in the 50 gallon 48" long tank along with the Fluval 306 it already has to get the beneficial going in the new 406.
Move the 306 to the 36" long aquarium along with the BDBS substrate and some of the water from the community tank.
After the new tank is cycled I'll move all the fish from the 50 gallon to the 45 gallon tank until I have created the planted tank substrate along with CO2 enabling growing more challenging plants in the 50 gallon community tank.
Once the high tech tank is established or settled in I'll reintroduce the community fish to their new home and start to create a natural looking South American environment for the Rams.
From Seriously Fish:
A more natural-looking arrangement might consist of a soft, sandy substrate with wood roots and branches placed such a way that plenty of shady spots and caves are formed, plus one or two flat rocks or similar to provide potential spawning sites.

The addition of dried leaf litter would further emphasize the natural feel and with it bring the growth of beneficial microbe colonies as decomposition occurs. These can provide a valuable secondary food source for fry, while the tannins and other chemicals released by the decaying leaves aid in the simulation of natural conditions.

Aquatic plants can also be used with those from genera such as Microsorum, Taxiphyllum, Cryptocoryne and Anubias perhaps most useful since they can be grown attached to the décor, although none of these are native to South America.
This plan checks off a lot of boxes for my journey into a two aquarium household.
What do you think?
-----------
That's a post I did on Fishlore.com/forums yesterday.
------------------
I'm working on trailer-load five of shoveling dirt from the dry pond to fill in the foundation ditch around the addition, which I'm ecstatic I'm I'm able to do. :D
I had to open the box I created to get to the mains house water valve because I forgot to turn one of the two valves back on; a minor whoops. I found that it worked well enough, but thought it could be shallower in case of a Winter-time emergency with frozen ground might make me sorry I'd have to dig that much out to get to it.
Attachment:
Two-Valve-box-raised-June-13th-2018.jpg
Two-Valve-box-raised-June-13th-2018.jpg [ 102.22 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

Attachment:
Valve-box-raised-June-13th-2018.jpg
Valve-box-raised-June-13th-2018.jpg [ 99.94 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

Attachment:
Valve-box-June-13th-2018.jpg
Valve-box-June-13th-2018.jpg [ 107.67 KiB | Viewed 182 times ]

As you might imagine being the lead architect-builder on this project I had a lot on my plate at the time and probably could have laid out the valves closer together, but oh well, this will work :think: :laughing3: :wave1:

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 22:12 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Good to hear and see that you are mobile and able to do some physical work.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 23:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks gnoib. I ran out of munchies a few days ago and decided to eat some creme brulee almonds, I knew better and did it anyway. From what the ingredients suggest it hit all three of my dietary restrictions of dairy, gluten, and sugar, which would have been fine as a test if I ate one of these three I'd now know which one was my food allergy :upset:
It doesn't hurt, but it didn't help either, as I've had a swollen foot since then. At least now I know what my barometer is. :)
This mornings routine:
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-6-14-18.jpg [ 178.32 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Our dogs were really excited to go into the forest, alas this was just a run to the far side of the yard. :support:
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Lambsquarters-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Lambsquarters-6-14-18.jpg [ 184.04 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

I actually harvested an armful of Lambs Quarter and steamed it in a large pot. I had it with lunch and dinner plus bagged and froze ten bagies worth! See honey I can do kitchen stuff :mrgreen:
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Jeep-loaded-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Jeep-loaded-6-14-18.jpg [ 197.59 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

This spot is extremely easy digging and making a load takes twenty minutes.Unloading and spreading this fluffy stuff takes a little longer.
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Jeep-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Jeep-6-14-18.jpg [ 158.35 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

It'll pack down, so perhaps two more loads will do for a while.
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Filled-Andrew-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Filled-Andrew-6-14-18.jpg [ 135.14 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

Oh right, our dogs are grateful we gave them this cool and easily dug nest sites.
Attachment:
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Wonderful-tree-6-14-18.jpg
Topsoil-grab-dry-pond-to-fill-excavation-at-house-Wonderful-tree-6-14-18.jpg [ 180.17 KiB | Viewed 131 times ]

I believe after we get this done, it is going to be the nicest side of our home. I hope so as this is the side of the house seen from the driveway.
Brian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 165, 166, 167, 168, 169  Next