All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 178  Next
PostPosted: Jul 10th, '18, 00:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Hey Rob Hi.
Yes in fact I did order some AquaMax 400 from TSC I wish I could find Aquamax 500 as it lists trout.
Purina does provide a lot of product information on their site, so that's good. Unfortunately I could not get the "Find a Retailer" link to work.
Here is the product info for PowerMax 500
100% nutritionally complete and was developed by professional nutritionists with the help of fish experts. Formulated as an easily-digestible, high-energy, nutrient-dense diet with excellent conversion rates, Sport Fish 500 has high feed efficiency and rate of gain and is designed to stimulate aggressive feeding behavior. AquaMax® Sport Fish 500 is a floating product in a in a 3/16" extruded pellet.
Features & Benefits
100% nutritionally complete
Complete, balanced diet for optimum growth

3/16” particle size
Appropriately sized for grower fish of several species

41% PROTEIN, 12% FAT
Excellent grower diet for carnivorous fish

Few feed fines
Little waste and optimal feed conversion

FishMeal #1 ingredient
Highly palatable, superb attractant, designed to maximize digestibility for carnivorous fish

Floating diet
Easy to manage, prevents overfeeding to help maintain water quality

High digestibility
Significant nutrient absorption designed to produce clean water and big fish

Highly palatable
Helps to ensure proper consumption

Nutrients
NutrientMin / MaxAmount
Crude ProteinMIN45 %
Crude FatMIN10 %
Feeding Directions
Description
High-protein, nutrient-dense diets are required to support healthy growth in this type of species. Fish include: feed-trained largemouth bass, hybrid striped bass, bluegill sunfish, and rainbow trout. See feeding strategies for feeding directions on specific species.
Caution
Store in a dry, well-ventilated area protected from rodents and insects. Do not feed moldy or insect-infested feed to animals as it may cause illness, performance loss or death.
Management Practices
Consumption can vary depending upon water temperature, season of the year, nutritional needs of the fish, availability of other foods and fish familiarity with particle feeds. Consult the feed tag on this package for specific feeding directions.

A feeding program is only as effective as the management practices followed. Actual results may vary depending upon feed intake, environmental conditions and the quality of management practices. An effective feeding maximizes feed conversion rates which helps minimize the risk of water quality degradation. However, it is necessary to follow good management practices and feed ONLY what the fish will consume. Excess feed increases the Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD) which over time, can contribute to the deterioration of your water quality. Adequate Dissolved Oxygen (D.O.) must be maintained for sport fishing ponds; aggressive feeding should be accompanied by an adequate aeration program.

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jul 10th, '18, 21:45 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning.
Attachment:
Elk-silhouette-monochrome-7-10-18.jpg
Elk-silhouette-monochrome-7-10-18.jpg [ 259.64 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

My mind and body feels like I got a lot done yesterday.
I've been working toward finishing the powder-room. Here on the ranch and in my life that means sorting and cleaning and looking for something that I need to do that project.
The elk have been here most mornings. My phone camera still sucks and distant shots. I did get to hunker-down in the backyard for a few minutes and watch these Bull elk looking back at me. So that is always a good way to start the day.
Attachment:
Elk-dawn-silhouette-7-10-18a.jpg
Elk-dawn-silhouette-7-10-18a.jpg [ 273.96 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

The big item accomplished yesterday was clearing out the lumber-shed looking for the doors to the powder-room cabinet.
Attachment:
Lumber-shed-clearing-found-doors-yay-7-10-18.jpg
Lumber-shed-clearing-found-doors-yay-7-10-18.jpg [ 152.9 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

Fitness training: I walked the stored windows across the yard and setup a place outside for them. Many of these are going in the greenhouse addition. Speaking of greenhouse. I spent a couple hours working on trimming tomato vines. Damn tomatoes are high maintenance. I removed hundreds of branches and vines. They double every day it seems. If I miss trimming them for a week they will take over where-ever they are. The grapes are dong better this year at getting over the top of the trout pond. The tomatoes grow up to the ceiling then drop back down toward the pond, which is fine, but left alone they'll go right into the water.
Attachment:
Brook-trout-going-to-freezer-July8-18.jpg
Brook-trout-going-to-freezer-July8-18.jpg [ 134.56 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

I netted 7 Brook trout a couple days ago. They are plate size although I didn't weigh them, it looks like one will be a dinner for two. This is our goal, so that is encouraging. I don't know how many are still in the pond. There ought to be fifty still.
When I am able I'll plan a early day of lowering the water level in the pond and netting however many are left after a few more harvests like this and decide then if we want to grow these out more or harvest them all and go buy more fingerlings and keep these seasons short.
So the other big project Austin and I began while he was here a few weeks ago was clearing out the garage shop.
Attachment:
Project-progress-not-much-done-in-shop-7-10-18.jpg
Project-progress-not-much-done-in-shop-7-10-18.jpg [ 165.4 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

The difference between hoarding and storing valuable building materials can be a blurry line.
Yes we threw out more than what is left here in the above photo.
I think what needs to be done next is to build some heavy duty shelves in the shop for boxes of parts.
At issue for me there is the walls were never covered, I know surprise surprise. Do I just build down and dirty shelves to get this stuff off the floor or at least put some OSB on the wall in question. One of the issues in every building on the ranch is rodents. If I cover the wall studs it leaves a place for rodents to make a home between the inner and outer walls. Mudding the space between crossed my mind. For now, I don't know I have so many other irons in the fire.
I got a call to build another WIFI tower and that is always a welcome project.
Have a great day my friends.
Brian

Attachments:
Project-progress-Heavy-windows-moved-out-of-lumber-shed-7-10-18.jpg
Project-progress-Heavy-windows-moved-out-of-lumber-shed-7-10-18.jpg [ 88.93 KiB | Viewed 943 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '18, 03:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
the 400 lists trout as well. Basic difference is pellet size and protein percentage. The 500 is larger and slightly lower protein than the 400 because it's used for more mature fish. It's part of the logical progression as fish get bigger... my 400 lasted a lot longer than the 500 so I'm just using 400 now but getting low on food so hopefully by the time I run out my tilapia will be big enough to switch to the 500 for the rest of their life and just buy another bag of 400 when I get smaller fish again.

I did manage to get my auto feeder working pretty well now I think, but it probably wouldn't work great for 500... might have to take that in to account when I build the next one. I've been looking at purchasing a 3D printer for the past few days now... almost pulled the trigger on it but decided to sleep on it one more night... so if I do then I'll just print a purpose built feeder that will work with the larger feed size instead of cobbling one together.

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '18, 08:23 
A posting God
A posting God

The Bradley smoker came back on sale today. Wife agreed, "Let's buy it." This will give our new diet a nice new direction, plus it'll be great for having friends over for dinner.

Things appear to be working out for the better up here. I got back from getting the stitches out after having basal cell carcinoma removed from my face ten days ago. All clear on that front, so yay!

I was up in the shop using the compressor to clean our bag-less vacuum cleaner and Adam and Brittany come by to borrow the battery charger when Adam calls out, "there's a Rattlesnake right there by your toolbox!"
Attachment:
Bullsnake-solving-our-rodent-problems-in-shop-smiles-7-10-18.jpg
Bullsnake-solving-our-rodent-problems-in-shop-smiles-7-10-18.jpg [ 112.08 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

We haven't seen rattlesnakes up here before. That doesn't mean they can't be moving in with the change in climate. So we looked closer at a distance. It is a Bullsnake and a pretty good size snake at that, maybe four feet long.
Attachment:
Bullsnake-tail-no-rattle-7-10-18.jpg
Bullsnake-tail-no-rattle-7-10-18.jpg [ 74.8 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

Attachment:
Bullsnake-head-also-different-than-rattlesnake-7-10-18.jpg
Bullsnake-head-also-different-than-rattlesnake-7-10-18.jpg [ 79.63 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

Attachment:
Bullsnake-solving-our-rodent-problems-in-shop-coloration-7-10-18.jpg
Bullsnake-solving-our-rodent-problems-in-shop-coloration-7-10-18.jpg [ 109.04 KiB | Viewed 886 times ]

The snake wasn't too thrilled about having its picture taken and started heading into the open area of one of my tool chests.
I decided to let him be without getting that full snake picture.

While in town I picked up the food for the fish. It isn't Purina, it is Sportsman's Choice TrophyFish Feed. https://www.sportsmanschoicefeeds.com/product/trophyfish-feed
It is only $11.00 for 25# It was pretty cool they had something in town. The manager said there were two other people in the area that raise trout so he decided to keep a little on hand.
This feed is called recreational which I believe is intended to be used in natural ponds where there is already a food source for the fish. It's more of a supplement.

I'll go back in and talk to him about carrying a high quality feed like Purina Aquamax 500. For certain I'd buy that from them a couple times per year. I don't know if that would be worth their while at TSC, but we really need a good feed.
I'd be nice to not need to worry about feed.
One of the reasons I stocked so heavily is it costs more to feed less fish when you figure in the shipping.
My hope is after extending the greenhouse we'll be able to triple our media bed volume and get a balance with a hundred fish all the way to plate size.
I got to tell you it is amazing to stick the net in the pond and pick up 7 plate size fish at one time!

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '18, 09:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Sometimes
You can keep those snakes Boss, I don't care what brand they are, they are all snakes to me and I treat them all as poisonous even pythons. Getting a bit older would not have increased you speed in getting out of the way a lot either Boss so be careful :lol:

I prefer traps or bait to snakes for rodent control, most of our snakes in Australia are extremely venomous, so you expect the worst to be safe, in fact I never seen a non-venomous snake in the wild here yet.

I did a week of night-shift in the forest on Fraser Island and saw 1-2 Death Adders each night and I wasn't happy at all and felt very uncomfortable about being there, you can tell where the death adders are so that helps a little. They hide under the leaves at the base of a tree and poke the end of their tails up through the leaves and wiggle it to attract birds. Every second tree on the island had a pile of feathers at the base of the trunk, so I kept right away from trees.

I've seen a lot more snakes working in Thailand, and I just don't like any snake at all, here there or anywhere.

Whenever doctors ask me if I'm allergic to anything I tell 'em Snake & Shark Bite.

https://theculturetrip.com/pacific/aust ... us-snakes/

These guys are not for the faint hearted.

Common Death Adder

Acanthophis antarcticu

Serving the fastest strike in the world, the Common Death Adder is an ambush predator capable of delivering a lighting fast attack in less than 0.15 seconds. Found in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia and southern coastal regions of Western Australia, the Common Death Adder reacts to a threat by freezing and camouflaging into its environment. They are recognized by their broad triangular head and stout body, and possess the longest fangs of any Australian snake.

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Jul 11th, '18, 21:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Holy cow man! I don't think I'd even want to go outside if I lived near that many vipers.
One of the things that drew my parents to this area is it is devoid of rattlesnakes and scorpions which inhabit areas as close by as the little town of Las Vegas NM. I'm probably going to jinx it by saying it, but we don't even have cockroaches. You've made me feel so blessed JoeBlow. :notworthy:

PostPosted: Jul 12th, '18, 04:25 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

boss wrote:
Holy cow man! I don't think I'd even want to go outside if I lived near that many vipers.
One of the things that drew my parents to this area is it is devoid of rattlesnakes and scorpions which inhabit areas as close by as the little town of Las Vegas NM. I'm probably going to jinx it by saying it, but we don't even have cockroaches. You've made me feel so blessed JoeBlow. :notworthy:

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

You guys live with snakes, I have to travel to even see a snake so I'm not too bad. Those Death Adders/Vipers were only in such large numbers because they were on an island, I don't think they are a big problem here on the mainland and I don't personally know anyone who has even seen one on the mainland.

There are more people die in this country from a Flu Shot than die from snake bite.

Number of snake bites. The estimated incidence of snakebites annually in Australia is between 3 and 18 per 100,000 with an average mortality rate of 0.03 per 100,000 per year. Between 1979 and 1998 there were 53 deaths from snakes, according to data obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Here's a list of fatal snake bites in Australia, I was supprised to see a Whip Snake death on the list, I'd heard of Whip Snakes but always thought they were just an old stockman's joke, like their Hoop Snakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... _Australia

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

You keep safe overthere Boss.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '18, 22:12 
A posting God
A posting God

We finally got some rain! Wow, mother nature seems pissed; drought, winds, fires. I hope she isn't planning on working a flood in this season too.
Attachment:
Buddy-wet-wet-July-14-18.jpg
Buddy-wet-wet-July-14-18.jpg [ 203.98 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Did a little walk around this morning to remind me what the place looks like wet.
Attachment:
East-yard-wet-July-14-18.jpg
East-yard-wet-July-14-18.jpg [ 147.58 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
Lambs-Quarters-wet-July-14-18.jpg
Lambs-Quarters-wet-July-14-18.jpg [ 308.5 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Attachment:
Lambs-Quarters-wet--steam-July-14-18.jpg
Lambs-Quarters-wet--steam-July-14-18.jpg [ 240.04 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Yeah, steaming even!
Attachment:
Lambs-Quarters-more-to-harvest-July-14-18.jpg
Lambs-Quarters-more-to-harvest-July-14-18.jpg [ 291.33 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

My brothers green burial site.
Attachment:
Jacksons-grave-site-wet-July-14-18.jpg
Jacksons-grave-site-wet-July-14-18.jpg [ 336.39 KiB | Viewed 927 times ]

Alrighty then, we received our Bradley Original Smoker yesterday. We got is assembled. Of course it rained all day and the spot on the back porch where I want to set it got soaked. Yeah the rain doesn't come straight down here, it is mostly sideways, thank you New Mexico winds. Which reminds me I need to rebuild our wind turbine and get it back in the sky. Seems like every rain the rural electric Co-Op gives up the ghost for at least one little brown out.
Speaking of reliability issues, UPS shows the Hickory Bisquettes as delivered, yet we have a smoker and no smokey bits. I'll go figure out where they are in a bit. Hehe, oh yeah in true country fashion we left the windows open in the vehicles just to make certain we could coax Mother Nature into dropping some water on us, which she did, now the seats are wet. So worth it.

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '18, 22:23 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
I take a flood, or 2, or 3……………… any time :D

Do you have scrub oak, good smoking wood.

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '18, 23:32 
A posting God
A posting God

The issue with a flood after a drought is the topsoil being barren, sheds water like crazy. We got lucky with this one and it came down slow enough that it soaked in instead of running off :notworthy: Weather guessers say probably will be a repeat of yesterday again today, hope so.
"Scrub oak?" Yes it's all over here. We bought a smoker that only uses little biscuits though.
Since I've never used a smoker I figured the automatic feed of biscuits should create a better learning curve :shifty:

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '18, 05:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
That,s what happened yesterday, had the water standing several inch high, put some good water into the ponds.
I guess am done with hauling water for the horses for a while.
Next Thunderstorm is piling up at the mountains and is already less than a mile away.

You slice the scrub oak, inch thick, green or well soaked, both work good, a little salt brime as a soak.

You can make all kinde of soaks, to experiment with flavor.

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '18, 11:10 
A posting God
A posting God

Okay yes I read about the soaks and wondered about it. Thanks Gnoib

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '18, 21:47 
A posting God
A posting God

Good morning
We have family visiting and among all the warm and wonderful feelings being with family brings, I've been extra excited talking with Sara whose passion for herbs and edible plants that grow in our yards I find so valuable.
I thought I would share this latest plant Sara has opened our eyes to.
I love growing food, although I admit I struggle to get plants to grow. So learning about what is already growing around us is extra-exciting and encouraging.
I also recall Nhibbo writing about it is this thread How to boost long chain Omega 3 in your fish http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=29805
Portulaca oleracea
Attachment:
484px-Illustration_Portulaca_oleracea0.jpg
484px-Illustration_Portulaca_oleracea0.jpg [ 115.51 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

https://www.motherearthnews.com/organic ... az05amzsel
It is so interesting when I look, to see so many things in our lives are connected.
I have seen this plant in my flower gardens and in fact this season with the drought I had decided to leave Purselane as a ground-cover. I can't wait for daylight so I can go out and see what it looks like after a few rains. What I've read so far suggests this plant is packed with nutrition including those Omega 3 fatty acids Nhibbo was writing about. I've just read this article posted by danny in Nhibbo's thread http://www.fao.org/in-action/globefish/fishery-information/resource-detail/en/c/338773/ I don't know anything about long chain fatty acids versus short chain, but thanks to places like this and people I talk to, I am learning more every day.

Now that there are several species of plants growing in or Koi pond, I've wondered about what the the four species of fish we have in our two systems eat, besides the food we give them.
In our earth-sheltered aquaponics greenhouse we have Brook trout: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brook_trout
Attachment:
Brook-trout-big-teeth-carnivors.jpg
Brook-trout-big-teeth-carnivors.jpg [ 130.35 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

We have four three year old Comets. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_(goldfish)
Attachment:
Comets-goldfish.jpg
Comets-goldfish.jpg [ 38.39 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

In the Koi pond we have four, three year old Shubunkin Koi:https://fullserviceaquatics.com/pond-fish/poor-mans-koi-aka-the-awesome-shubunkin/
In with the Koi are three, one year old Albino Channel Catfish https://www.azgardens.com/product/albino-channel-catfish/
Attachment:
Albino-Channel-Catfish.jpg
Albino-Channel-Catfish.jpg [ 39.67 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

I added the non-vascular plant Hornwarts https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornwort to all our fish tanks last year. I removed it from the 50 gallon aquarium as it grew too fast. I also tied small rocks to Hornwart and dropped them in the 2600 gallon trout-comet AP fish tank as well as into the 400 gallon Koi-catfish pond.
The Hornwart was growing strong reaching up from the depths of 5.5 feet in the big tank with long glorious branches.

At some point over the Winter perhaps, I'm uncertain because I was ill much of the time, the Hornwart disappeared. Small bits float up every now and then, so it is not entirely gone from the trout-comet tank. I hadn't thought about the Hornwart until I spied it recently making a comeback in the Koi-catfish pond along with Jungle Vallisneria. https://dustinsfishtanks.com/products/jungle-vallisneria transplanted from our living-room aquarium a year ago.
In the aquarium the Jungle Val grew too tall and would float across the top of the tank blocking light to the other submerged plants, so I removed it and stuck the two I had in pots in the koi-catfish pond not knowing if it would survive a Winter outside. Another plant in the koi-catfish pond is I think called Water Lettuce. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pistia The fact that Pistia is the only plant thriving out of the huge variety of pond plants a friend Nick from southern New Mexico sent to me last year. This shows what level of gardener I am. Although the last plant growing in the outdoor pond is Cattail or Typha https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typha I'm even struggling to grow invasive species, haha.

I'll try to sum up my observations, I guess the Comets ate the Hornwart in the aquaponics tank, while Koi and Catfish seem to leave it alone in the outdoor pond.
So if I were to try and find a plant to supplement the diets of our fish am I on my way to learning which fish like which plants?

A day in a life full of curiosity.
I'm a happy camper, who hopes to keep his family and fish happy too.
Speaking of happy...
Holy jumpin' Jesus the smoked brook trout was absolutely delicious!

Attachments:
Koi-Shubunkin.jpg
Koi-Shubunkin.jpg [ 65.33 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '18, 06:18 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Holy jumpin' Jesus the smoked brook trout was absolutely delicious!

I knew you'd love that smoker Boss :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

You won't eat them any other way from now on.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Jul 16th, '18, 20:08 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: grudgingly
:headbang: Yay for yummy trout!

Brian, your link is to Shubunkin goldfish and the picture at the end of your post is actual koi... which have you got?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2664 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 167, 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173 ... 178  Next