All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182  Next
PostPosted: Sep 16th, '18, 21:53 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I am buttoning up the lath work in preparation for custom field-mix colored cement stucco. This part of the siding project is kinda fun. A little background, my wife and I moved a 1959 pink mobile home up the hill and camped out in it around 1997. We had a little generator we could use for power once in a while, no refrigerator. We had an outhouse pretty fast. Little by little we've been building onto the trailer making it a home pay-check to pay-check. Five years ago we decided the old mobile home was finally used up and it needed to come out. In order to have a kitchen while we worked we used a Sawzal to cut end with the living-room or about a third of the trailer off and recycled the aluminium for some cash.
Two years ago before I got sick we demolished the rest of the trailer (mobile home) With the success of our earth-sheltered greenhouse we decided we'd dig the new section of the house into the hill. Just like the aquaponics greenhouse the limestone bedrock was under six inches of topsoil. I love busting rocks, but my body was going south for unknown reasons. With the help of family and friends we got the 18' x 24' building erected. During this time I had to leave my job because of illness so money got tight. For example, the roof is recycled three times tin. We were beginning to think the siding was going to stay oriented strand board (OSB) forever. I'm finally getting a handle on this autoimmune disease and I'm able to work again. Thank you great spirit in the sky!
I hope you understand from this brief introduction that we're on the bleeding edge of DIY. If resourcefulness and craftiness are the main tools in your box then please come on along and check this out, you may find it useful.
In this first image not only can you see my recycled tin roof, you can see we have the dual layer asphalt paper installed on top of inexpensive building wrap. On top of the black paper is chicken wire attached with furring nails. Furring nails have the thick paper washer to hold the wire a 1/4" away from the wall so the cement stucco can achor to it.
During a break I was watching Youtube videos about stucco to bolster what my step-son has already schooled me on. I saw all kinds of cool cement detailing being done including curved surface cement

in southeast Asia (I believe,) but that was labor intensive.
Then I came across someone doing some interesting stucco facade work

Architectural cement plastering details on facades Wow!
I had a freeze-proof faucet that needed some help as I didn't make it stick out far enough to sit properly over the 3/4" stucco. I needed a way to be able to spin the faucet if it ever needs servicing.
First I wanted to try this sculpting technique then I added flashing to keep the area around the faucet indented.

Since the stucco is nearly an inch thick on top of this it doesn't need to be a perfect shape.
Under the paper are two half moon shaped pieces of wood screwed to the wall. They don't need much reinforcing as the lath will hold the shape. I used one by eight pine so there was enough thickness to give the roofing nails a good footing. Staple paper over the simple forms and nail lath over that. Super easy even in the tight spot I was working.
I hope between this and the video you can see how this works.
This technique was so easy I want to try it again on other parts of the house. I think it'll be great over windows as well.
We get a lot of wind here, well we used to, no telling what the future will hold. Wind makes the rain fall almost horizontally at times. I think this is why the siding takes such a beating here.
With this stucco technique I may be able to create a cob building look on a frame structure. Of course it isn't as easy as slogging mud on as house to shape it, but it is pretty cool. My first self-built house was a fire-damaged adobe structure reconstruction on a house here that burned down on Christmas Eve, but that is a whole-nother story.

I'm still amazed at what a great find this is.
I'd seen plasters' create shapes that looked like trim around windows using Styrofoam board then stuccoing over them.
This wood and paper technique looks even easier, perhaps because I hadn't done that technique, but this provides wood to nail the lath to. I don't know how you attach lath to foam board?
A big thank you to Kirk Giordano plastering Inc. for the schooling. Again I have no affiliation to them, I just browsed until I found this video.
Speaking of browsing Youtube, I found a trick you may find interesting and/or useful, if you are like me and can't stand to use the remote control to type in searches on Google's Youtube. Load the
YouTube App on your phone and use the microphone to search Youtube for topics of interest, then use the broadcast to TV icon on the Google browser to send it to your TV.

This combines the power of Google search with their Youtube app.
Brian

:?

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 07:46 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
LOOKING GOOD :headbang:

Boss many years ago I had relatives down on a farm in Gippsland that had a old Corrugated Iron Roller that straightened the sheets and made them look like brand new, it even reduced the nail hole size by squashing the metal back.

They used it to build all their farm sheds, they would gather old sheets of iron from the local rubbish dump and put a shed up at very little cost.

Attachments:
Iron Roller 001 (Small).jpg
Iron Roller 001 (Small).jpg [ 140.34 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
Iron Roller 002 (Small).jpg
Iron Roller 002 (Small).jpg [ 140.09 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
Iron Roller 003 (Small).jpg
Iron Roller 003 (Small).jpg [ 148.86 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]
Iron Roller 004 (Small).jpg
Iron Roller 004 (Small).jpg [ 62.98 KiB | Viewed 894 times ]

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ
PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 09:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Wowowow, yes, send it over.
I went my Dad's barn looking for goodies ...
Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Chisels-beautiful-chisels-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Chisels-beautiful-chisels-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 111.42 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Chisels-beautiful-chisels-X2-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Chisels-beautiful-chisels-X2-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 115.36 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Gorgeous-little-Pipe-wrench-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-Gorgeous-little-Pipe-wrench-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 141.4 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

I can't wait to restore this little pipe wrench. The teeth look to be in pretty good shape too.
Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 110.65 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

Okay here is a "What is it?" (I do not know)
Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-topend-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-topend-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 100.07 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

Attachment:
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-2X-Sept-17-18.jpg
Gems-from-Pappys-barn-What-is-it-2X-Sept-17-18.jpg [ 99.91 KiB | Viewed 891 times ]

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 09:24 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Nice haul Boss, I still have one of those nibblers in your first photo, when I first saw the thing you are trying to identify in that photo, I thought it was a saw tooth setting tool for circular saws, but on the last picture it looks like it could be a wire strainer, depending if the jaws are grooved or not :dontknow:

If the jaws are grooved, I'd say it is a wire strainer, if they are not grooved I say it's a saw blade tooth setter. :dontknow:

It looks like it's not grooved in the second last photo, so I'm tipping it's a circular saw setter.

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 19:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks JoeBlow. I'll have a lookiesee at the tip when the sun comes up. When we were looking at it earlier I couldn't quite tell what the action was as it was small, so perhaps a tooth setter is correct.
I need to buy some Naval Jelly for these old tools.
Attachment:
Evapo-Rust.jpg
Evapo-Rust.jpg [ 16.97 KiB | Viewed 838 times ]

Why didn't I ask Google how rust remover works before I bought this? Sigh.

Vinegar contains acetic acid CH3COOH which reacts with rust FeOOH:

3CH3COOH + FeOOH --> Fe(CH3COO)3 + 2H2O

and iron (III) acetate Fe(CH3COO)3 is water soluble.
Of course this is clear as a bell. My father the chemist is rolling over in his grave seeing his son struggle with this stuff.
Speaking of father over the shoulder phobias, when I found the tray with rusty old washers in it and they were all sorted by size and strung together with bailing wire, I heard his voice in my head, "You wouldn't just toss them all in a box Higgledy-Piggledy would you Brian?" Ah... "No, of course not Dad," he said shuffling his mixed up tray of washers out of sight of the spirit!

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 20:49 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Shapleigh diamond edge saw set pliers

PostPosted: Sep 18th, '18, 22:55 

Are you human?: YES
Electrolytic rust removal using super washing soda and a donor item might be an option.

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '18, 07:56 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Nhibbo wrote:
Shapleigh diamond edge saw set pliers

Nailed it :headbang:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 19th, '18, 19:32 
A posting God
A posting God

Thanks Nhibbo. We've got people here with loads of experience. I would love to know a faction of what you know. Let's start our own "What is it game" over on the General BS I mean Banter thread.
It's really fun and gets everyone talking about all kinds of neat things. I may have a few more oddities from these trays of relics, but nothing really odd. What have you got?

PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '18, 18:20 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Boss these 2 were in the first tool kit I bought when I was a 14 year old apprentice, over 60 years ago.

The "Stanley Yankee Spiralux Screwdriver" came with a set of drills, I think they were nearly all broken through slipping with the screwdriver trying to drill holes, there may one or two drills still left somewhere.

The Apprenticeship Commission deemed the screwdriver too dangerous to use and banned them, they were worried about someone losing an eye.

Attachments:
DSCN1815 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1815 (Small).jpeg [ 138.03 KiB | Viewed 874 times ]
DSCN1816 (Small).jpeg
DSCN1816 (Small).jpeg [ 149.42 KiB | Viewed 874 times ]

My Fish:
PostPosted: Sep 23rd, '18, 20:15 
A posting God
A posting God

I always thought those drivers were the coolest thing ever.
Here is what I got cleaned up from the relics trays.
Attachment:
Antique-Monkey-Wrench-Sept-2018.jpg
Antique-Monkey-Wrench-Sept-2018.jpg [ 142.88 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Yesterday was awesomely intense.
Attachment:
Stucco-scratch-coat-Started-North-end-Kitchen-Sept-22-2018.jpg
Stucco-scratch-coat-Started-North-end-Kitchen-Sept-22-2018.jpg [ 110.94 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Attachment:
Stucco-scratch-coat-from-North-end-moving-along-South-Sept-22-2018.jpg
Stucco-scratch-coat-from-North-end-moving-along-South-Sept-22-2018.jpg [ 131.81 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Attachment:
Stucco-scratch-coat-Started-Sara-and-Rachel-on-swing-Sept-22-2018.jpg
Stucco-scratch-coat-Started-Sara-and-Rachel-on-swing-Sept-22-2018.jpg [ 160.52 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Attachment:
Stucco-scratch-coat-South-end-Hobbit-hat-spigot-cover-Sept-22-2018.jpg
Stucco-scratch-coat-South-end-Hobbit-hat-spigot-cover-Sept-22-2018.jpg [ 128.56 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

Attachment:
Stucco-scratch-coat-continuity-west-side-Sept-22-2018.jpg
Stucco-scratch-coat-continuity-west-side-Sept-22-2018.jpg [ 115.05 KiB | Viewed 846 times ]

This morning I'm fluctuating between consciousness and less-so. So if you lose me, blame the project, lol
We're going to do the second coat, called a Brown coat, today. We'll see what's what with my improved health a bit later, then.

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 06:31 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Boss that Stucco is looking real good, it will improve the heating and cooling in the house once it's finished, not to mention how much it better it will look.

It's amazing how much you do to your house after you retire, I did a little before I retired, but so much more after I retired.

That Antique Monkey Wrench is a little beauty, I have a full set of Stillsons, in about the same condition as the one in the bottom of your photo.

I'm still coming across old tools in the garage that I bought years ago, I'm clearing a bit of space work and keep finding old tools. Cleaning up is like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't get thrown out, just moved to another spot. :support:

My Fish:

PostPosted: Sep 25th, '18, 16:05 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: family Hominidae
joblow wrote:
...Cleaning up is like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't get thrown out, just moved to another spot. :support:

Isn't that the truth!

PostPosted: Sep 26th, '18, 20:35 
A posting God
A posting God

joblow wrote:
Boss that Stucco is looking real good, it will improve the heating and cooling in the house once it's finished, not to mention how much it better it will look.

It's amazing how much you do to your house after you retire, I did a little before I retired, but so much more after I retired.
Truth there Joeblow. This self built house has been going on for twenty years, much to the chagrin of the wife, I' sure. I often recall this song by Pentangle House carpenter with great fondness

joblow wrote:
That Antique Monkey Wrench is a little beauty, I have a full set of Stillsons, in about the same condition as the one in the bottom of your photo.

I'm going to write about what I think gives me great joy in handling these old tools. I believe they represent a time when craftsmanship was prized over profit that we often see nowadays.
joblow wrote:

I'm still coming across old tools in the garage that I bought years ago, I'm clearing a bit of space work and keep finding old tools. Cleaning up is like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't get thrown out, just moved to another spot. :support:

Hehe yes, living on a large piece of property we have room for several levels of junkyard qualities. Discarded items first find their way to a semi-trailer for a period of time, or until the path is completely obstructed, then if there still seems to be value it heads to vehicles with large boxes such as my collection of diesel Izuzu Troopers. If that stuff doesn't get recycled after five years it gets put outside for another few years before going all the way to the bottom of an arroyo. I found the steel I need to rebuild the tablesaw fence on the edge of the arroyo where it was waiting for one last reprieve, yay!
Brian

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '18, 13:45 
In need of a life
In need of a life

PLJ wrote:
joblow wrote:
...Cleaning up is like moving the deck chairs on the Titanic, it doesn't get thrown out, just moved to another spot. :support:

Isn't that the truth!

We're all guilty of it :support:

My Fish:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2718 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179, 180, 181, 182  Next