All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Jun 13th, '18, 18:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
Interesting... I definitely need to build one of these feeders... probably at least 2 actually (and eventually probably 2 more once I get the #3 and #4 IBC operational). My fish do not get fed nearly as often as they should... I toss a big handful in there once a day but would prefer to get something built to feed a few times a day. I have looked in to arduino projects just need to pull the trigger and build one.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 13th, '18, 19:42 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Here is a link to the auto fish feeder I have been using for a few years now. They are made for indoors but I just build a cover for them to protect from the sun. The base is set up to be able to screw directly to things.

I got two.

Each feeder can be programmed for up to 4 feedings per day... with either 1 or 2 doses of feed per feeding.
There is a button the kids can press on top for an additional feeding when they want to see the fish.

I even used them uncovered for a year down in Alabama. In an open sided greenhouse. So every time the rain came in sideways they would stop working for a day or two... then start working again. You can just build a box around them with a door that opens.

Thanks to these puppies I was able to leave for a few weeks and my fish would still get fed.

They take around 30seconds to re-load. The feed doses are highly adjustable based on amount/or size of fish feed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F ... UTF8&psc=1

Amazon sells a massive array of different styles of feeders.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 05:43 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

That feeder is too small for me. It’s capacity looks to be less than a single feeding for me

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 07:58 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

scott_dc wrote:
That feeder is too small for me. It’s capacity looks to be less than a single feeding for me

Well then... in envy you!

There are a lot of large feeders out there with the kinks already work out.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 18:48 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
My problem with store bought feeders is they all seem to be poor quality and they are quite small. I toss a handful of food in at every feeding (granted if I was able to feed more than once a day then maybe I would feed less per feeding). They would only last a couple of days at any rate. My biggest issue though is that the feeders I've bought in the past end up getting knocked around and they fall in the water and one shot they're dead and worthless. If I build my own feeder I can remote mount most of the electronics so if it falls in the water then maybe only replacing the motor rather than the entire thing.

And with Arduino you are pretty much unlimited feeding adjustment, number of times per day etc. Could even rig up a demand feeder so the fish bump a switch it feeds them. The trout farm I visited had their trout feed trained so the color red meant food for them, then they had a demand feeder which was a 2 liter bottle with food and a small plate on the bottom for food to sit on, then a red straw of sorts that went down in the water so when the fish wanted food they bumped the straw and it dropped some food in for them. I built one of these originally when I had my trout but had some issues with it not being sealed and having food get wet and rot.

PostPosted: Jun 14th, '18, 20:45 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Sounds like a fun project.

If you are still just considering the easy/just purchase route... something like the one in the following link might work.
It can only feed 3 times per day though.
Holds 30 cups of feed.
Can be hard mounted.
https://www.amazon.com/Fish-Mate-00348- ... ond+feeder

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9