All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: May 2nd, '15, 19:37 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: YES 1% evil 99% gas
Hey all,

New user and quite new to aquaponics in general. My sis turned me on to it and the last couple weeks I've been spending all my free time reading. As I rent a home in a suburban neighbourhood my first two hurdles is getting permission from the owner and hopefully avoiding a war with the HOA. I've spent a few days thinking/anticipating any objections the owner might have when it happened... again. Shortly after we moved in we noticed some mud tunnels and the owner had it treated. In the years since we've not seen any termite activity.

I suppose if I look on the bright side it reminded me that he had a problem at all. Out of sight out of mind and all that. So, after doing some searching on these forums it's clear to me it's just not worth taking the chance - metal supports it is.

Putting aside the question of possibly moving for a moment I have concerns about where/if I should even setup a system. Before this I had been certain that installing it parallel and fairly close to the back of the house was the way to go. I know that chemicals/pesticides in aquaponics is pretty much game over. So the question becomes how likely is it that a system could get contaminated from a termite treatment? Or is that just one of those loaded questions with no easy answer?

Well, however it works out I'm determined to start a system even if it means moving. It might just not happen as soon as I would like. I the mean time I can torture myself errr pass the time planning...

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 3rd, '15, 05:20 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Well, doing a little reading (wikipedia so mileage may vary) it seems there are quite of a few things they could be using. The most worrisome seems to be the dusts they use to poison the termites directly in an attempt to kill off the colony with a slow acting pathogen. And having read that I do recall hearing something along those lines the first time around. So at the very least it seems like I should wait a month or two for these things to run it's coarse? That's just a wild arse guess on my part.

Though I'm beginning to worry about the intensity they seem to be attacking the master bathroom. If I was a betting man I'd put my money on there being some sort of water leak or perhaps it's the AC drain near that corner of the house. More importantly I wonder about the structural damage. But I digress. Not entirely AP related there.

Well I suppose it's better to find out now than later when my system is up and running. Moving an AP system is not on my todo list.

PostPosted: May 3rd, '15, 06:05 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Yes
I think you're over thinking it. Termites usually get sprayed and baited (well australian termites anyway). Just make sure they don't do it directly into the bed when its treated again, and you'll be fine.

My Aquaponic Youtube Channel

The Black-Byron Ice Creamery Youtube Channel

PostPosted: May 3rd, '15, 07:21 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Yes, well, I've never been accused of being easy going when it comes to this sort of thing. I suppose you're right. I won't be ready to even begin cycling my system for some time now. Actually that brings a question to mind. While I know it's completely overkill to have a separate biofilter when using media beds and a mechanical filter is useful but not critical depending on stocking density I'm very tempted to include both, If for no other reason I was thinking of perhaps getting a jump start on building my bacteria. Is it feasible to plumb together two 55g/200L barrels just to build a colony? I was thinking I could even work two different media. One in each barrel. Bioball or similar in one and whatever I decide to use in my GB's. Then I could perhaps transplant some of the media to the new beds to help seed the beds in a manner of speaking? Obviously I'd have to pump and aerate the water. Not to mention feed it some pure ammonia now and again.

I'm only considering this as I know it can take several weeks to over a month to cycle a system and it might take me a fair amount of time to find my IBC totes, etc.

Thanks

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '18, 04:31 
In need of a life
In need of a life

Are you human?: Sometimes
Home Termite Control, gee guys you've dug deep to find this one :naughty:

My Fish:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiiZv ... iWEVFANEVQ

PostPosted: Nov 8th, '18, 10:01 

Are you human?: Nope! I'm a machine.
There was a report so I've removed the offending post.

Profile Personal album