All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52
PostPosted: Jun 20th, '19, 02:57 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
I started plumbing up my outdoor AP system last night. The two tanks that were in the mini hoop house are still where they were, and the bed that was sitting on top of them has some swiss chard that sprouted even though I haven't planted anything in it since last fall... so those seeds survived the winter and decided to come up this spring. The water hasn't been circulating because I cut the pipes off so they wouldn't freeze and break when I shut the AP system down in January after the plastic failed.

I think I got everything plumbed back up and ready to go, but now that it is outside I'll have to do something to cover the pump controls and power cord just in case they aren't waterproof. I didn't start the pump up last night because I wanted to give the glue some time to sit, but I'll get it running and take a picture tomorrow.

I used a 55 gallon drum that had been teat dip (iodine) for my sump for this system... it was kind of bubbling as I added water to the tank so I let it overflow on the ground for a while last night hoping it rinses most of the iodine out so that iodine doesn't kill all the bacteria in the system hopefully.

I also moved 3 more IBC tanks up next to that system and plumbed the three of them together and filled them up... I need to drain the tanks back down and refill them again (well maybe not...idk... they had "organic honey" in them with a little residue... I would think if anything it would just cause the bacteria to grow faster having a little honey in there... compared to the amount of water that would be in the system there was practically no honey left in them so maybe I'll just let it go). I am going to move another bed from the greenhouse to sit on top of these three IBC's so I have another bed for filtration while I shut down the greenhouse system. I don't plan on having all 5 of the fish tanks full of fish, will just have the two tanks worth of fish that are in the greenhouse now moved out there so hopefully shouldn't be a cycle since I'll reuse media that has been filtering in the greenhouse. I still need to figure out where the drain from the bed will enter into the IBC tanks and then I will drain from the IBC's on the opposite side to hopefully force water through all three of them before going back to the sump just to keep some (slow) flow through them, they are just buffering capacity for now since I'll only have the two beds running (for now).

I figured out today that my second child is due 10 weeks from this Friday... I need to get my butt in gear to get this greenhouse remodel project completed before that time comes! It will go by fast!

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jun 20th, '19, 14:39 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: Occasionally
Hi rininger85,

I think I would flush out the honey. although it is mostly sugar based, it is also a powerful antibiotic. It is often used as an antibiotic of last resort against MRSA and other nasties.
No doubt, the concentration would play a role, but it's very water soluble so why not clean it out.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '19, 01:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Really... I don't know if I've heard of honey being used as an antibiotic before. Is it applied as a topical ointment?

My main concern with cleaning it out is that I would have to dump 750 gallons of water in my backyard... it has been an extremely wet spring! At the back of my greenhouse where these tanks are located is a low spot in my yard. It has tire trenches back there from when I drove my truck/trailer back there nearly two months ago that I have not been able to fill in because they have been full of water for the past two months. I can't mow that part of the yard because it is so wet my mower keeps getting stuck. I got my yard roller stuck back there 2 months ago and have not been able to retrieve it because it hasn't dried out enough to not get the mower stuck to drive back there... I could drive the tractor or the truck back there and might not get stuck but then I'll create bigger ruts in the yard. I could drain the roller so I can move it by hand, but then I'm adding more water to the wetness... so adding another 750 gallons to the wetness doesn't seem like a good idea.

Someone at work was saying this morning that they've recorded 7" of rain in their rain gauge in the past two days. And it's not done yet. We're under flood advisories right now, and have had multiple flood issues this spring where they have shut roads down because of water over roads in places that never have water before... luckily my downstairs I think is staying dry, but my sump pump runs every few minutes pumping water outside. It's really wet here lately!

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '19, 12:05 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Sounds like that area would be ideal for a dam or well LOL.
Yes, the use of honey as a topical ointment is ancient and very effective. In Roman and medieval times, sword wounds would be stitched and then covered in honey with a layer of molten wax poured over the top.
There is a video called "Blood Red Roses" (which is probably available on youtube) outlining the treatment of wounds in the battle of Towton in around late 1340's, though the treatment is far older.
BTW, that vid is really worth watching just from the historical point of view when you get time.

PostPosted: Jun 21st, '19, 12:34 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Correction. The year was 1461.
Couldn't add a link, but the best version runs for 48 mins though several shorter versions/trailers are available.

PostPosted: Jun 23rd, '19, 09:35 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

OK I'll look it up when I get the chance. I enjoy watching historical war type shows so I'm sure we will enjoy it.

I haven't had much time to work on the outdoor AP system, but I did put in a couple of hours tonight... I have open water training for new scuba divers all weekend so most of the daytime is shot, but I did manage to move the old wicking bed outside on top of two of the three IBC tanks I had been filling and connecting. Then Sam and I shoveled the pea stone gravel out of the next bed in the greenhouse and dumped it in the empty wicking bed (I had already lined the wicking bed and put a bulkhead in it when I first set my beds up, so it was ready to go.) I didn't get that bed running yet but I put enough water in it to hopefully keep the bacterial alive for another day or two... I am hopeful that I will have time tomorrow night to cut a hole in one IBC tank to run the drain from the bed into, then will cut a hole in the other IBC tank to add a bulkhead to drain from that tank to the sump tank. I did plumb the supply line to connect it with the supply line from the pump on the other two IBC tanks that were previously in the small hoop house... so I got that small system running again (it is two IBC tanks with one large bed divided into two smaller beds that way I could make each side drain into a fish tank).

I still didn't take any pictures because my phone died before I finished for the night... but I promise pictures soon.

I did snap a couple of pictures of deer out in my field probably 40 or 50 yards from me as I was working on the system... barely cared that I was there. Also a picture of a little boy who decided that since his daddy had a ladder sitting next to the IBC tanks that meant he could climb up on top of them... so that's kind of a picture of the outdoor system...

Attachment:
IMG_20190622_200501635_HDR-800x600.jpg
IMG_20190622_200501635_HDR-800x600.jpg [ 141.53 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_20190622_185407802-600x800.jpg
IMG_20190622_185407802-600x800.jpg [ 133.65 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 771 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52