All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
PostPosted: Nov 24th, '17, 01:10 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Are you human?: yes
Chrisklugh wrote:
I wish I had your winters! Look forward to seeing how your works out over your winter.

Cheers! :)

Thanks! I am sure it will come and go and waves. We got some pretty bad wind the other night so a lot of the taller plants fell over but they are starting to slowly stand back up.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 10th, '17, 01:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Got some snow accumulation today and got a video uploaded to YouTube...

This newest video is basically about how I add city water to my system and what amendments I am using to get it started up.

https://youtu.be/EEssmHjF_Fs

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '17, 18:47 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: YES
did it melt yet? I assume that snow doesn't really stick around very long down there... we just got about 2 inches the past few days, more coming today. My cousin in North Carolina got 8 inches last week in one day.

How did the AP take the snow? Growing just things that don't mind a bit of cold? My greenhouse is dropping down to about 42F inside, so my tomatoes aren't doing much now even though the new plants had buds on them, it probably needs to warm up quite a bit to get them to set fruit. They might be done for the year... Still have peppers on the plants that are hanging on, and my lettuces and such are still powering along.

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '17, 21:03 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

We got maybe two inches that stuck. Snowed heavy for a long time to get that much to stick. By the time the sun set the next day most of it was gone.

When I went outside the next morning the power to the system had been shut down. The Christmas lights on the front of the house had tripped the breaker somehow with the snow/sleet/ice. The water was 40 degrees and the fish were basically dormant. None of the system froze up since it had been warm just before the front blew through. Once the water was moving again the system did not freeze during the following cold night.

Frost tolerant plants only now. Dino kale, dwarf blue curled kale, lettuce, Swiss chard, strawberries, broccoli, and Italian parsley.

If I close up the system I will get much more growth. However, I have not gotten around to it yet. Lol I will eventually.

Yesterday I added auto fish feeders from my old system. Going out of town for a few weeks soon.

Marty

PostPosted: Dec 11th, '17, 23:44 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

That's kind of how it is at our property in TN. I hadn't paid attention that you're in Mobile, so you are quite a bit south of our property yet and it only sticks around for a day and then its gone.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 20:16 

Nice update. I'd still try to keep your videos as short as plausible. But your getting better at making them! :)

Tip: if you have enough content for 2 views, your way better off doing it like that. Otherwise, nice too see you live in a climate that can run it year round. Mines indoors; I want to have an outdoor one, but that would me investing in a winter greenhouse. Worth it, but not cheap.

https://youtu.be/Ph4n2kF0DUI
I need 100 subs to get a custom ULR for my channel, so for now this is a link to my 1 Year Anniversary on my Indoor Bookshelf AP System. Feel free to loiter around.

PostPosted: Feb 2nd, '18, 22:12 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Chrisklugh wrote:
Nice update. I'd still try to keep your videos as short as plausible. But your getting better at making them! :)

Tip: if you have enough content for 2 views, your way better off doing it like that. Otherwise, nice too see you live in a climate that can run it year round. Mines indoors; I want to have an outdoor one, but that would me investing in a winter greenhouse. Worth it, but not cheap.

I am taking that into consideration. I just downloaded some new video editing software to increase the quality of my videos too. However, it is a very steep learning curve that I have to go through to get there.

On a plus note... I just got a new camera too with a bit of video stabilization. So the shakyness is about to be cut down a lot too.

I will be back to making new videos soon.

Glad to hear that you enjoy them. Hopefully by the time I get to the point of buying a larger property and developing it... I will be able to properly video it's transformation. I plan to do a large pole barn sytle greenhouse filled with aquaponics for the family... and a permaculture style orchard with grazing animals and chicken tractors (About 4 days behind) moving down the rows in between. Every other row willl have a wild flower/ grass patch as well. Oh and bees.

I can't wait! It's going to be at least 3 years before I get to do it though.

Marty

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '18, 22:08 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

I suppose it is time for an update!!!

I just moved from Mobile, AL to Virginia Beach, VA

Left growing zone 8b and moved to 7a

First off. What a pain! I am tired of moving. At least this time I was able to get the aquaponics set up again in just a day at the new place. SOOOOOOOoooooo glad I put the system on wheels.

I did end up shedding almost all of the lava rock I had in my beds at the old place. as soon as I pushed my system into the yard off of the porch it sank into the ground so fast I thought I ripped off my front wheels.

So that was painful. I suggest that if anyone builds a system like this to go with just hyrdroton or to plan on dumping the gravel before moving.

I saved the hudroton I had and bought more via Amazon and had it waiting on the porch at the new place when I got here.

Sold the 3 Koi and 12 Goldfish on Craigslist for $100 even. So they were almost growing for a year and paid for themselves, feed, amendments, and electricity for the year.

I went for expensive goldfish this time instead of starting with feeder comets. They will only get about 1ft long and should be fine for this 150 gallon tank and pump.

I got 4 Sarassa Comet Goldfish(Super bright red and white colors)... and 2 regular comets... one that is also red and white that looks like a clown fish and an orange one. Saw a local on craigslist that is selling more goldfish for $3 each that I will grab in a week or so after further cycling occurs with the new gravel.

Since I am in a much colder climate I am now in the process of turning the system into a GREENHOUSE. Complete with walls to remove during the Summer. Automatic Vents, etc., etc.

I may add an expansion during the Summer months to compensate for the fish eating heavier. I came up with a flood/drain system that operates with just 4" PVC pipes. Should be nice and light for any moves in the future.

I am going to be saving $$$ at this house to get a final large property of my own. I want to end up with a few large greenhouses. With at least one with a large aquaponics system. Growing catfish and bluegill for myself... and lots of food for the family.

Marty

PostPosted: Jun 7th, '18, 22:26 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Here is a pic of it currently. Planted tomatos, cucumbers, and basil. Threw in some Swiss Chard and lettuce seed. Don’t expect anything from the cucumbers or tomatoes since it is new. Basil should be good. Just needed plants in there.

Never mind.... the pic was too big

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '18, 03:42 

Hi Marty,

You can find information about resizing images in a couple of the threads in the Announcements part of the forum - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4. We all like to see pictures :thumbright: .

PostPosted: Jun 8th, '18, 03:50 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

scotty435 wrote:
Hi Marty,

You can find information about resizing images in a couple of the threads in the Announcements part of the forum - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4. We all like to see pictures :thumbright: .

I will check it out. Thanks!

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '18, 08:00 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

My system has now been turned into a greenhouse up here in Virginia Beach, VA.

The plants love it!

Attachments:
01Dec18 - 02.jpg
01Dec18 - 02.jpg [ 75.55 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]
01Dec18 - 01.jpg
01Dec18 - 01.jpg [ 74.65 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '18, 19:49 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Awesome Great8 glad to see it doing well in Winter too.
Brian

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '18, 23:46 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Thanks Boss!

Had to say it. lol

PostPosted: Dec 3rd, '18, 23:54 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

On a side note...

I tried cloning my Meyer Lemon tree this Summer. Waited till the new green growth had some backbone. Stuck 4 small branches into the gravel. I now have 4 baby lemon trees growing in the system! How cool is that?!?!

I will pick the best positioned one and leave it in there most likely. Because they make fruit 2 times a year... and the fruit can hang on the tree for up to 5 months! Just gets sweeter over time. Essentially you can grow the lemons to cook your fish with... using the fish. NICE.

On a side note I only have goldfish now. lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8