All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Scuba diving
PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 07:57 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
Yea the demo quality skills can be the difficulty for Instructor Candidates. focus on clear signals with slow exaggerated and controlled movements. You'd be surprised at the number of instructors that don't like full mask flood/clear or mask remove/replace yet they do manage to demonstrate in a slow controlled and exaggerated manner.

Role model all that you can, buoyancy control, attitude, equipment streamlining etc.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 24th, '18, 23:14 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

After sitting through the class last night I kind of wish I had done the demo for them... it turned out it wasn't kids in the class that were going to be trouble like I thought he had meant... they were all alpha males, all of them older than me and they were all a bunch of jerks... I would have purposefully made it look harder than it is just so they would have really been worried about being able to do it. My instructor had told me I didn't have to sit through the lecture if I didn't want to since it would be the same lecture I just sat through on Sunday... but I figured I already had daycare arranged to keep the kid late I might as well sit through the lecture. Glad I did because if I had a group of guys in a class that acted like these guys did I would have probably responded in an unprofessional manner, so it was good to see how he handled the class. By the end of the class they were all pretty much full of humble pie anyways even though I didn't make it harder on them... so for the most part they changed their tune, but there was one guy who ran his mouth all night long because "he dives on his own already, he's just taking the class so he can get airfills from dive shops instead of just filling them at home"... so he obviously knows everything there is to know about diving and wouldn't shut up about diving alone not needing a buddy... I'm not someone who is going to tell you it's not OK to dive alone, because at certain levels you are always alone (tech divers are required to be self proficient... instructors are pretty much always diving alone because it's pretty unlikely new students are going to know how to save them if they got in trouble...) but I'm also not going to tell a bunch of new divers that it is OK to dive alone...

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '18, 09:19 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Did three short dives in Lake Huron today. I was mostly just testing GPS coordinates to see if I could get to shipwrecks with my boat. I visited four shipwreck sights but only dove three of them because the fourth was deeper than what I had anchor line for and didn't have a buoy so will buy a longer anchor line and try it again some other time.

I dove "the sport", a small tug boat one of the first steel tugs on the great lakes. Then the city of Port Huron wreck which is pretty smashed up but still big sections of the deck visible, then the Eliza strong which is also badly busted up but still a decent dive. I kept the dives short because I was out by myself and afraid my boat would float away or sink while I was underwater ;)

PostPosted: Sep 5th, '18, 11:29 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The "know it all" students can be a PITA, main thing is to maintain your professionalism and continue role-modelling. The whole Solo diver thing is a touchy subject but to be honest as a diver you only have one person you can absolutely rely on if things go south...yourself. Your buddy may be close by but not paying any attention to you, or facing away, or head inside some overhand chasing that perfect photo. One bloke I used to dive with said he had a buddy as long as they were both in the same ocean.

You need to be confident in your planning and contingencies, skills and equipment. As an instructor that automatically doubles down. As you said, your students aren't going to be in a position to help, and likely if you are in trouble then they are in much worse and your then trying to prevent anyone from dying, as is your divemaster/assistant. Dive students don't necessarily "get it" that as a dive instructor our top priority is to make sure our students don't die, and make it fun and exciting whilst doing that so they continue diving and buying equipment and doing more courses with us!

Risk Management and Effective control are big things. So many factors influence these: having competent divemasters, student group sizes, surface conditions, currents, visibility, bottom composition/topography, water temperature, group and individual dynamics, personalities and skill levels, equipment configurations....the list goes on

PostPosted: Sep 8th, '18, 04:00 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

The shipwrecks I visited this past weekend...

The "Sport" about 50ft deep Built 1873, wrecked in 1920

The "City of Port Huron" 30 some odd feet deep, sank 1876

The "Eliza Strong" 28 feet deep Built 1874, wrecked in 1904 they used explosives to try and clear the area in 1909 so bits are scattered.

PostPosted: Nov 12th, '18, 08:10 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I finish my ITC today, I'm officially a NAUI Instructor. It was pretty brutal. I'm whipped, but glad it's over. Hasn't sank in yet what I plan to do with it...

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '18, 10:43 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

well done! A big congratulations, Instructor Exams can be punishing. You'll work out what your next steps are. Suggets doa couple of team-teach with an experienced instructor that you trust, have worked with before as a divemaster or the like, build up your confidence and learn as much as you can.

Start to build relationships with certified assistants (Divemasters and the likes) in your area. A good divemaster is worth their weight in gold for control, logistics and as an extra conduit to your students who may approach the DM's first as the instructors can be seen as "busy" sometimes. Respect your DM's and they can enhance your programs no end.

PostPosted: Nov 13th, '18, 21:17 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

If I decide to teach for my local dive shop (which I probably will, maybe some private classes on the side) then they require you to sit through a class watching how one of their top three do it, which I've already done once this year because it was required for my assistant instructor class (also sat through a nitrox class this summer too just as a refresher to prepare me for the instructor class), then one of the top three will sit through your first class to watch you and make sure you are hitting what needs to be hit or fill in the gaps you are lacking... Plus then they give you their PowerPoint slides so you teach it the same way that they do in case someone needs to substitute for you everyone is teaching the same thing in the same order for each class. NAUI gives a lot more freedom of how to teach classes from what I've heard over how PADI does which is good and bad, good you can change the class to meet the needs of the students, bad because it's not as structured so harder to get started until you know what you are doing... But working with the dive shop it shouldn't be a big deal.

The other benefit is with assistants, I already run the scuba club for the dive shop so I already have a big group willing to help me when I need it. We don't really have a lot of DMs here because there isn't a huge demand here, most people here go assistant instructor because you aren't required to carry insurance like a DM is, then they don't usually stay AI very long before becoming an instructor because AI are not paid. We are allowed to bring in pretty much anyone we feel has the right mindset to help us and call them a teaching assistant, they are mostly just used to help herd the cattle in open water dives if someone gets away from us we can have the assistant go get them and bring them back to us, or stay with the rest of the group while we go get them.