All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Nitrites
PostPosted: Apr 14th, '18, 16:04 

Are you human?: YES
Hey guys,

Just wanted to know if there is a solution to my problem. Two weeks after adding two gold fish in the FT, there is still nitrites... A spike of nitrites is still here. Is there a link with the pH? It's around 7,8... And it's not going down... Nitrates are approximately 40 mg/L and Ammoniac around 0,1 mg/L. What can I do? Change water? Add something to my system?

I got 3 strawberry plants, and lettuce. I can see necrosis on the leaves of strawberry plants.

Thank you for helping..

Mathias

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Nitrites
PostPosted: May 15th, '18, 14:44 
Xtreme Contributor
Xtreme Contributor

Hey Mathias,

Two weeks doesn't sound like a long enough time for you to have a fully cycled system, but I have heard of systems cycling in one week so I don't know what all the factors are that control the length of time. But since you already have a concentration of 40 mg/L of Nitrate, it seems you are pretty much on the right track.

I would consider adding some more media to add more surface area for the bacteria as well as another plant, maybe something that has fast growth like arugula or basil.

A water change has always worked for me but you don't want to lose to much of those nutrient you have already built up over the past few weeks. Maybe a 20% water change or less will help lower the Nitrites a bit. What is your Nitrite concentration anyway?

In my systems I have always had a lot of necrosis at the begin. My plants don't really start doing well until a few months after my systems have been established.

Wish I had more information to help.

Karim

PostPosted: May 15th, '18, 14:55 

It sounds like your system is partially cycled, the bacteria just need to build up a bit more. The nitrites should disappear once that happens (probably in a few days to a week but could be a couple of weeks).

PostPosted: May 16th, '18, 07:51 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (1)
Yes patience.. Sounds like everything is going to plan, cycling can take 4 to 6 weeks depending on many factors.

Profile Personal album  
PostPosted: Jun 12th, '18, 16:59 

kij2 wrote:
Hey Mathias,

Two weeks doesn't sound like a long enough time for you to have a fully cycled system, but I have heard of systems cycling in one week so I don't know what all the factors are that control the length of time. But since you already have a concentration of 40 mg/L of Nitrate, it seems you are pretty much on the right track.

I would consider adding some more media to add more surface area for the bacteria as well as another plant, maybe something that has fast growth like arugula or basil.

A water change has always worked for me but you don't want to lose to much of those nutrient you have already built up over the past few weeks. Maybe a 20% water change or less will help lower the Nitrites a bit. What is your Nitrite concentration anyway?

In my systems I have always had a lot of necrosis at the begin. My plants don't really start doing well until a few months after my systems have been established.

Wish I had more information to help.

Karim

Hey Karim,
thank you for helping.
It was a fishless cycle, it took approximately 4 weeks.. And when I thought it was okay, I added two gold fish. Two months after, so now, there is still nitrites, like 0.4 or 0.6 ppm. But my system is okay, basil is growing very well. PH was high, it dropped a little bit, and the plants grow better. My fish look like to be happy in the water even if there is still nitrites.. Maybe, I just have to trust in mother nature and let the things happen... :)