Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
Agree that looks very good.

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Grafs urban farming.
PostPosted: Jul 15th, '18, 15:19 

Are you human?: YES
thanks all, yes I am very happy with the way things have been working out so far. Gave a foliar application of EDTA-Fe as I haven't brought any that will work in my pH range.

Measured water quality yesterday just prior to doing a 100L top up. Surprised to see nitrates at 0! Obvious the rampant growth has sucked them all up, will have to try force feed the fish I think! Ammonia and nitrites also 0 as one would hope.

Will be interesting to see what starts to happen to the plants now that nitrates are limited rather than in excess as has been the case since startup. Romanesco and white caulis are starting to head, hopefully the reduced nitrates will still be sufficient. With a bit of luck as the fish get bigger and more food goes in the nitrate levels will start to go into excess again. Definitely is a great learning curve seeing the fluctuations over time as things grow.

PostPosted: Jul 15th, '18, 19:16 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
You've created a beautiful aquaponics system there Graf. I thoroughly enjoyed reading as I caught up with your successful and well documented adventure. Thanks for sharing

:?

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '18, 17:42 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: been called worse
I am also enjoying your journey and haven't had any nitrates for over a month which is probably why my growth is slow but I have only got 15 trout. Been adding a few caps of seasol every week but still down and I've also added a teaspoon of iron chelate but now have darker water and still yellowing of some leaves but oh well.

PostPosted: Jul 18th, '18, 20:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Thanks Liney.
Have you tried foliar spray? That's where you add the nutrients through the leaves. Most fertilizers say at what proportion to mix with water. The cool thing is if you are careful where the spray goes you can use stronger ferts which get absorbed through the leaves and not the water column so the fish aren't affected. Foliar sprays also help when the plants have a nutrient lock happening http://www.nosoilsolutions.com/nutrient-lockout/

:?

PostPosted: Jul 19th, '18, 08:17 

Are you human?: YES
echo Boss's comments re foliar application, thats how i'm getting iron into plants as my pH is remaining steady @ ~7.4 so the common Yates Iron chelate (Fe-EDTA) is readily bioavailable.

I'm now waiting for labybugs to arrive to control aphids deep in the new cauliflower growth areas, manual controls in place at the moment...squashing the buggers!

have also noticed the arrival of black aphids on the stonefruit trees I have in the ground, these will get an application of eco-oil if they get out of hand and the ladybugs haven't arrived.

It's also getting close to copper spray application time, getting on top of the peach leaf curl problem I've had over the past couple of years.

New issue to deal with however unfortunately :cry: The rear neighbours have demolished and are building a new house including a pool on our shared boundary. Part of the council approval conditions is that their land height in increased by ~400mm across the block, because of some bullsh*t flood risk (not in any identified flood prone zone). They are currently replacing the rear boundary fence with ~600mm concrete underfence plinth with 1800mm colorbond fencing above that, taking total rear boundary height to ~2100mm above our finished ground level. :upset: Will have approximately 8m shadow line from rear boundary at winter solstice. Aquaponics system will now be pretty much fully shaded in winter, chook run will be fully shaded from mid autum, through winter to mid spring and espaliered pears closest to boundary will also be impacted.

Will have to deal with it I guess. no recourse, as the pool safety requirements determines finished fence height on their side @ 1800mm. Will see how things go shade wise over the next couple of seasons and change things around if I need to.