All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Murray Cod feeding rates
PostPosted: Aug 12th, '18, 13:22 

Are you human?: yes
Hi I am looking to start an aquaponic system using Murray Cod and am planning tank sizes, grow bed area

etc.

I really want to know if there is a feed calculator for Murray Cod or something I can base my calculations on.

Thanks

Advertisement

PostPosted: Aug 12th, '18, 14:30 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
I feed mine floating feed and as much as they will eat in one feed , I have a solid lift overflow in the tanks and usually have some coarse foam at the growbeds so can easily see if they have eaten all their feed or some is sitting on the foam .

I use a measure scoop and get a feel for how many scoops they will eat

Hot days they eat more so feeding "rates" vary

Changes in weather will trigger or shut down feeding

Terrific fish they do spook a bit and hit the sides of the tank , I lost one it jumped out (probably chased out) so far that has been the only casualty

PostPosted: Aug 14th, '18, 07:50 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Hubcap4x4 wrote:
Hi I am looking to start an aquaponic system using Murray Cod and am planning tank sizes, grow bed area

etc.

I really want to know if there is a feed calculator for Murray Cod or something I can base my calculations on.

Thanks

Good luck with the MC. They're a lovely fish to look at and they taste great. But they're a bit slow growing compared to some of the alternatives. And I lost quite a few - mostly big ones eating their smaller companions I think.

I based my tank size on some advice in these forums - roughly 1:1 ratio with grow bed volume - stocking rate being guided by grow bed wet media volume. Then one fish per 20 to 30 L. But I read that their natural territorial nature can be overcome by crowding - so, when they were small, I only half filled my tank. It seemed to work... didn't see much aggression at that stage. By contrast, last weekend I harvested the second last MC because it's much bigger companion was bullying it mercilessly.

Feed calculator not needed for small backyard operations I would think. Otherwise you might have to go to commercial or academic sources.

Much like Terra, I feed mine floating pellets... as much as they'll eat in half an hour or so. Two or three times a day when they were fingerlings but once or twice once bigger. They eat very little when the water's cold... and your water will get much colder than mine in Newcastle - unless you have heating.

More detail of my experiences is in the thread linked in my signature. I'm glad I kept them but won't be doing it again!

My first system
My Murray cod system

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '18, 18:19 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Short version , they don't really suit small backyard systems

I may be proven wrong but my view on the problems many have faced with Cod such as bullys , swallowing their tank mates ect , can be avoided if we grade them often and have the ability to do so by having sufficient tanks and infrastructure .

These fish wont suit everyone if they were easy everyone would have them .

Ive had livestock all my life (Farm child and Farmer for 55yrs) Animals that display dominant behaviour need different management to animals that don't simple as that .

The dominant individual will get most of the best feed , there lies the problem in our back yard systems

So if we go with the general strategy of jam them in to stop the bullies a few will get the feed and many shy fish will miss out grow weak and slow and end up victims

My (hopefully) rebuild starting soon will have a large tank for the small purchased fish and filtration to suit .

A second system with probably 6 to 8 smaller tanks in series to accommodate grading and growing out to a decent size

I have been happy with growth rates my large fish have gone through two warm (feeding) seasons 2 are 500mm log in one tank the rest are around 400mm , ive eaten a couple they were terrific

So my advice would be allow for changes to your system in the future if and when required .

Have fun

PostPosted: Aug 15th, '18, 18:54 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

That all makes good sense to me Terra... I had read somewhere that grading was a good idea. But I don't have the system to do it.

And you're right about the growth rates... not too bad compared with silver perch for example. Just that my main point of comparison is jade perch - which eat like they're constantly starving when the water's warm.

All of that said, back to our OP, who doesn't indicate how big his system is going to be.

My first system
My Murray cod system