All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Slow plant growth
PostPosted: Nov 7th, '18, 18:49 

Are you human?: Yes
Hi everyone, I’m a newbie to aquaponics and need some experienced help!

I have a C/F system set up and running since mid September and experiencing very slow plant growth.
I’m suspecting calcium deficiency or potassium deficiency but adding kelp extract foliarlly really has not helped much.

Below is my water readings so I dont think it’s anything to do with my ph level or nitrate levels.

PH 7.0
Ammonia 0
NO2 0
NO3 80ppm

Plants I’m growing are
Arugula (direct in the CF system)
Cilantro (planted them after they had about 2leafs)
Lettuce (planted when it had about 4 leafs)

Lettuce just grew longer and longer and the leafs were not getting thicker or wider after I placed them in the system. It seemed like they were just stretching and not growing so I took them out of the system already after about 3 weeks in the system.

Cilantro are growing but some of them turned brown on the tips on the leafs (see pictures) and they seem to be growing really slowly.

Arugula sprouted within days but seems to be growing very slow and will not grow new leafs.

The system is in indoors by a south facing big window and I have a 20 watt light source that is on around 9-12hours a day.

It’s my first system and first grow in a aquapojics system so any help would be amazing!! Can any one guess what is wrong with my system?

Advertisement

Post subject: Re: Slow plant growth
PostPosted: Nov 8th, '18, 14:39 

Are you human?: YES
Pics didn't come through. There is some information on posting pics in a couple of threads here - http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4. From your description it sounds like it's probably a light problem but pictures of the plants and setup would help if you can get some posted. Other things to look at -

Check the potassium levels in your kelp extract.
Possibly transplant shock or some issue with having to adjust to the new environment.