All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: New System, New Member
PostPosted: Dec 8th, '18, 09:03 

Are you human?: YES
Hello Friendly People of the Aquaponics world,
My name is Brendon and I just whipped up my first aquaponics system the other day. I live in Brisbane Australia.

I tried to use all second hand stuff except for the pump and aerator etc. I have 4 ibc containers 2 for fish and 2 for the sump, they are all joined in a row through the outlet, but the FT are shut off, so the sumps have flow, and I can open the FT if I want to lower them for cleaning. I use timed flood and drain into about 12 square metres of grow bed at 300mm deep, these are actually 10 ibc cut down and hosed in form ply. I have a grow bed row on each side of the green house with 20mm stones, and run each side straight to the FT on it's its respective side. Then SLO from each FT to the right ST with a pump, the left ST is just to provide enough water as I need about 1600l to fill the grow beds.

I have a box in the middle which will be a wicking bed one day, but for now it doubles as a junk box. I planted seedlings about 8 weeks ago and put fish in about 6 weeks ago. I put 50 Jade perch in and am pleased as punch to tell you that I still have 40 left, I think I might have starved the last ones to death trying to get my nitrate levels down. So I decided to just feed a respectable feed once a day and hopefully my nitrate will come off cherry red one day, anyway there has been no deaths in the family for about 4 weeks now.

Greenhouses hey, who new how hot they would get, I completely under estimated that. We went from cold to hot in Brisbane over night this year, so I spent the last few weeks sorting that out, I have had the Water temp come up to 29 once, which I thought wasn't to bad, mostly it's 24-26. I harvested a Zucchini last week which was the first decent thing I've got out of it, anyway when I showed my wife I said with this here Zucchini we've nearly paid for our investment, then I had to wrestle it out of here hands as she was threatening to beat me to death with it.

My ph is closer to 8 than 7 but I haven't tried to adjust it, I was hoping it would come down on its own. I have nutrient deficiency as could be expected but I don't know what I should do, I have done a couple of foliar sprays but I would prefer to use the the water, as foliar feeding creates more moisture in the greenhouse.

Cheers

Attachments:
IMG_3529.JPG
IMG_3529.JPG [ 107.4 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
IMG_3527.JPG
IMG_3527.JPG [ 143.59 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
IMG_3525.JPG
IMG_3525.JPG [ 125.24 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3521.JPG [ 106.42 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
IMG_3520.JPG
IMG_3520.JPG [ 138.04 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
IMG_3519.JPG
IMG_3519.JPG [ 129.78 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
    Advertisement

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '18, 15:33 

Welcome to the forum :wave: . Nice looking setup and the plants are looking good as well.

PostPosted: Dec 8th, '18, 15:45 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Hi Brendon :)

Great job on your build

Start a thread in the members section so you can record your progress

Good idea being able to drop your fish tank levels , makes it a lot easier to catch fish or have a close look at them .

Your plants look good , I see you have corn in , there are "Corn nutrient deficiency charts" which might help you diagnose whats lacking .

Seasol covers most trace elements

To grow hungry crops you will need to supplement as there is not enough left after the fish have taken their requirements out of the fish food

As you've found not hard to have enough Nitrate , trouble with too much nitrate is the plants get "Sappy" and every bug / aphid / caterpillar will sniff them out.

I think its easier to not try and beat the nitrate , if we want our fish to grow we have to feed them , just manage the nitrate , when you have small plants , or the nitrate gets too high , just do partial water changes , put the water on your fruit trees ect .

Put some EDDHA Iron in (high ph iron) , Potassium Sulphate (best choice for your ph) , Epsom salts (magnesium) , with your Ph you should be ok for calcium .

Its a bit of a learning curve with adding nutrient , if you only grew one type of plant it would be much easier , but when you have fruiting / leaf / and root crops it makes for best guessing

Easy way to drop your nitrate is leave the hose running in your sump while you go to town . :shock: but don't do it with mains water (chlorine)

Have fun

PostPosted: Dec 9th, '18, 02:32 

A fan or two to circulate the air around the greenhouse helps prevent condensation on the roof if this is a problem. A common arrangement is to have them on opposite sides of the greenhouse blowing in opposite directions to create a circular pattern of air movement.