All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '19, 03:06 

Are you human?: unfortunately
I Want to try growing a aquatic plant in long gutter growing trays mounted on the walls of my greenhouse and need to keep the weight down as much as possible. I Need to know what the lightest media are, clay balls or lava etc, Thanks

Advertisement

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:06 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Not before 8am
Perlite is very light, but floats so not suitable for Flood & Drain.

Expanded Clay is a little heavier, but still lightweight. Quality German product is suitable for F&D set-ups, the cheap Chinese and Thai exp' clays aren't, nearly 100% of them float and many of them break down.

As you're in the U.S. I would also recommend GrowStone. It's made from recycled glass, is very light and can be purchased in a various sizes. It does float, so again, not suitable for F&D set-ups, but would be fine in the sort of set-up you are envisaging.

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '19, 11:44 

Are you human?: Yes
Mr Damage wrote:
Perlite is very light, but floats so not suitable for Flood & Drain.

Expanded Clay is a little heavier, but still lightweight. Quality German product is suitable for F&D set-ups, the cheap Chinese and Thai exp' clays aren't, nearly 100% of them float and many of them break down.

As you're in the U.S. I would also recommend GrowStone. It's made from recycled glass, is very light and can be purchased in a various sizes. It does float, so again, not suitable for F&D set-ups, but would be fine in the sort of set-up you are envisaging.
I've noticed my expanded clay floated at first but seems to have taken on some water and doesn't float anymore.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Jan 22nd, '19, 12:03 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: Yes.
I use lava rock and the grow stones blend/mix. This minimizes some movement while keeping weight off. Consider adding "ribs" to support weight of water, medium a nf plants.

ap beginner.

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=28259

PostPosted: Jan 23rd, '19, 04:40 

Are you human?: unfortunately
DanaPT wrote:
I use lava rock and the grow stones blend/mix. This minimizes some movement while keeping weight off. Consider adding "ribs" to support weight of water, medium a nf plants.

I'm going to reframe my greenhouse so the walls are straight vertical and after i get the gutters set where they drain from one end to the other and then drain from the top down into the tray below it, i'll install a conduit support frame/grid to the front of the gutters so they rest on cross bars.

I'm going to attempt to grow Wasabi in gravel in the trays instead of growing in soil to try to increase my growth rates. I'm currently growing in a spring water creek in the woods on my property and soil beds in the greenhouse but i'm about to add a 2000 gal. tank and three 650 gallon tanks along with two 5000 gal. water storage tanks, so i need the ground space back. I'm new to Aquaponics and the fish farming aspect but i need the nutrients from the fish to save costs on fertilizers etc.

Thanks everyone for your help.