All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Dec 18th, '08, 03:59 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Y: I have affadavit
DesertWolf wrote:
DanDMan wrote:
If you want tilapia, then get some!

Im not wasting my money on all males even if i could get them, then i just have to go through the hassle of buying more later. If im not able to get some i can breed then its not sustainable and it becomes a money pit.

Umm...."all males" = roughly 95% males. I've been finding fry in my system.

So, apparently you can have "all males" and still have breeding. Or is this only in California? *grin*

WARNING: I suffer from ideaphoria. This post may contain untested ideas, errors, and excessive enthusiasm.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 31st, '12, 06:45 

Are you human?: yes
wow!!! not sure if this old thread could still be alive, but here in los lunas new mexico i was directed to the Chief of Fisheries, New Mexico Department of Game and Fish to try to get approved for a permit to buy tilapia from a AmeriCulture in Animas, New Mexico. the response to the request is here....

the best thing for you to do is to explain to me exactly what you are proposing to do and where. I need to know water source, discharge destination, species, facility location, disposition of fish you rear, and any other details you can provide. With this information, I will evaluate the risk to New Mexico's natural resources. If there is little to no risk, I will likely approve and then you will need to request a permit to import fish to rear.

so tell them what i want to do and they will decide if i can do it???? omG i have probably broken several laws today by getting up and making breakfast.

PostPosted: May 20th, '14, 23:13 

Are you human?: yes
Greetings all! I too, am looking for a Tilapia or any aquaculture source fish... I see this post is from 6 years ago .... not sure if much has changed! If anyone knows of a place to get Tilapia locally, please let me know!

ccr333
:headbang:

PostPosted: May 14th, '18, 16:04 

Are you human?: Yes
I cycled my tank and bought gold fish to get things going. I too have a hell of a time finding edible fish. I wanted yellow perch and it requires a permit. Even so I couldn't tell you where to purchase them. I need help folks....I live in the 87114 area.

PostPosted: May 15th, '18, 02:49 

Are you human?: YES
You've probably already seen the New Mexico Game and Fish page for this but just in case - http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/fishing/fish-vendors/

No Yellow perch listed but there are a few that don't list the species. If that doesn't come to anything then you may want to check with NMSU (the person that wrote this article might be a place to start - http://aces.nmsu.edu/pubs/_circulars/CR543/welcome.html). Finally your NM Game and Fish might help, apparently they have a surplus in some lakes (http://www.wideopenspaces.com/new-mexico-game-and-fish-relocate-thousands-of-perch/) so who knows. It's good to check the regulations and see if they'll even permit you to stock Yellow Perch in your area.

PostPosted: May 15th, '18, 19:57 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
I had the same trouble. I live near Las Vegas NM.

:?

PostPosted: May 22nd, '18, 09:17 
A posting God
A posting God

I got was able to get pre hatch eggs from Thailand shipped with butter packed around a breakable bag. Where the is a will there's a way!

I switched to duckaponics and let them forage food and eject nutrients into the pond.

Now, I am 100% BioPonics. No fish at all. Just weeds, no purchased inputs!!

PostPosted: Jun 12th, '18, 14:36 

where are you fellow New Mexican I am north of the border just like you :wink:

PostPosted: Jul 13th, '18, 23:14 

Are you human?: Yes
I live in Albuquerque, I want some yellow perch. Can anyone in the area help me? From what I read about talapia they are mostly genetically made and aren't very healthy for us ( GMO ) fed as well for the most part.

PostPosted: Jul 14th, '18, 04:09 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
ballork wrote:
I live in Albuquerque, I want some yellow perch. Can anyone in the area help me? From what I read about talapia they are mostly genetically made and aren't very healthy for us ( GMO ) fed as well for the most part.

Have you looked at NM game and fish site?
It is pretty lame, I know.
Look at nearby states on their list.
I went though way too much work looking for sellers, I didn't get anywhere, hopefully you'll have better luck. There used to be an aquaponics group in Albuquerque.
Honestly I hadn't heard anything of GMO Talapia. You might ask on this forum if anyone has seen any change in the way they look over the two decades APers here have been keeping them.
We raise Brook trout purchased from a hatchery in southern Colorado.
Brian

:?