All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Samphire/Sea fennel
PostPosted: Mar 28th, '15, 21:06 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Yes
Will watch with interest... please update down the track. I can't find any seeds in Australia. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

My first system
My Murray cod system

Advertisement

PostPosted: May 14th, '16, 02:23 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
This is a shot of my Samphire bed. As well as direct planting with seeds I decided to plant some cuttings.
Local supermarket variety are prepackaged in nitrogen so these I bought loose from the market.
45* cut rooting powder. 50% survival rate.
i have just returned from a weeks holiday the mold/fungus is from fish safe ( iron based) slug pellets I scattered before leaving.
Any advice on this?
I salted the sponges for the cuttings in 1PPT and my system is currently running around about the same level.

Attachments:
Samphire cuttings.JPG
Samphire cuttings.JPG [ 165.8 KiB | Viewed 574 times ]

My Blog: http://titusfishcake.blogspot.co.uk
PostPosted: May 14th, '16, 03:14 

Are you human?: YES
Not sure about the fungal areas. I usually put iron phosphate around the grow bed not in it but I don't think it should matter that much. Assuming there are no other nasties in these pellets and you're mostly worried about looks, I would stir the fungus infested areas into the media. Some parts will die without their food and others will die because conditions have changed (too much moisture or too little, more competition...). Some parts will continue to live until the food runs out but will be less obvious. I doubt this fungus will cause a problem for the plants but I could be wrong :dontknow: .

PostPosted: Sep 15th, '19, 17:17 

Are you human?: yes
Hi all, new to this sort of thing but may be able to offer some useful info. I started some samphire off from cuttings I got from the supermarket, although I am lucky enough to be able to get it with roots on where I live, but I notice that the local wild stuff is not exactly the same strain.

Grew it on the window sill in a tray in seed compost and watered it with sea salt and water. No probs. Can't remember the recipe but it was pretty low salt. Lev tsp to a mug perhaps.

Later transferred the samphire to a mud patch on a leat at a project I run and it went well. No salt, all freshwater! Unfortunately it got squeezed out by wild grasses etc in the end, but not before demonstrating that it didn't actually need salt and grew well in mud.

We will be trying it again when we get around to setting up an aquaponics system on our tanks, but so far the local Council have scuppered plans by refusing permission for the necessary shed :( so we have just one solar powered system outdoors, and have tench, rudd, goldfish and swan mussels in there. We will have a brackish tank to transfer fish to before harvesting if we ever manage to beat the Council.

Out of interest, I also grew pea shoots in a tray next to the samphire and watered them with the same brine, and they did OK too.

Also, stocked a tank with mature brown trout years ago, and they sulked. Transferred them to a salmon tank with 1/4 sea salinity and they started eating and did really well!

Hope this info is of help to someone. All the best, Blue from Galonglas