All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 02:19 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: when in a good mood
Nhibbo wrote:
Woohoo!....your vid link worked beautifully. Glad I got to see it and whatever happened with that monster radish.

We picked it during the TV episode, cut it and ate some of it. Actually it was pretty good considering the inside was hollowed out and it was way over mature.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

Advertisement

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 02:34 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Well I guess I jinxed myself by saying I haven't killed any fish for for a while. I came home last night and found one of my big 'uns floating. Looks like 3.75 lbs. It was fine at 5pm, but floating at 9:30, so I filleted him. What a nice pair of fillets!!

Attachment:
2017-09-01 11_31_33-catfish.JPG
2017-09-01 11_31_33-catfish.JPG [ 58.39 KiB | Viewed 6116 times ]

Attachment:
2017-09-01 11_32_14-catfish on scale.JPG
2017-09-01 11_32_14-catfish on scale.JPG [ 58.79 KiB | Viewed 6116 times ]

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 03:03 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I think higher temps lately have driven down my DO. Fish were piping last night with the one floater. I swapped to a bigger air pump and added some more air stones.

Meanwhile I've been dealing with my RFF issues. This one was awesome until the tank split at a seam - bad design.
Attachment:
2017-09-01 old RFF.JPG
2017-09-01 old RFF.JPG [ 57.26 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

Attachment:
2017-09-01 RFF cracked seam.JPG
2017-09-01 RFF cracked seam.JPG [ 39.5 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

I contemplated repair and I still might, but meanwhile I built another one. It was a challenge to get it to seal but perseverance and multiple design changes are successful so far.
Attachment:
2017-09-01 new RFF.JPG
2017-09-01 new RFF.JPG [ 58.27 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

But that was last week. Last night I found out I have shingles, which is a bitch. I had them as a kid so I'm supposed to be immune. Just lucky I guess, but at least since I had them before they are not as severe (still hoping they don't get much worse). So today I am "working from home" which translates to working AT home. I can't seem to sit still even with what feels like an ice pick in my temple. It's actually not that bad, it comes and goes.

Given my RFF issues I was running without filtration for a while. Well it's amazing how quickly plaque builds up in pipes and consequently my water flow diminished to a trickle. Trouble is I have a lot of LONG run pipes, many are buried and being a genius engineer, I didn't build with clean outs on my pressure pipes (drains either for that matter).

So fast forward to today's project - up-size the 1" underground run to 1-1/2" and add clean outs at ALL pressure runs possible.

I'll follow with a few more pic's...

Attachments:
2017-09-01 removing bricks.JPG
2017-09-01 removing bricks.JPG [ 88.86 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 03:13 
Legend Member
Legend Member

New pipe with 45° fittings so I can snake a swab thru when needed. I expect some filter pad zip tied to a drain snake will do the trick when the time comes.
Attachment:
2017-09-01 new pipe.JPG
2017-09-01 new pipe.JPG [ 96.54 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

Attachment:
2017-09-01 bricks all better.JPG
2017-09-01 bricks all better.JPG [ 90.66 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

Here are the "cleanouts" to allow access to each section of pipe. I did not glue the cap in place so I can tap it off with a hammer when needed. It was much more cost effective than the female adapter with threaded plug method I sometimes used on smaller pipes.
Attachment:
2017-09-01 cleanouts.JPG
2017-09-01 cleanouts.JPG [ 72.5 KiB | Viewed 6113 times ]

I don't usually leave the barcodes and print showing on the pvc but these will get spray painted grey to blend in with the system. It's not done yet but it's 102° here now so I'm enjoying the A/C and some computer time inside! I'll have to finish up another cooler day.

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 2nd, '17, 06:21 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Im a force of nature
How tight is that end cap Dave? I'd consider a hose clamp around it unless it is ridiculously tight, because PVC has a high coefficient of expansion. I'm just thinking that if it is in the sun and a wash of cold water fills the pipe, it will shrink much faster than the cap, as PVC is a pooir conductor, which might make it rather less tight than you'd like, leading to a possible loss of water.

Fruit +Loomberah Wx
http://gunagulla.com

PostPosted: Sep 3rd, '17, 20:01 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Oh no shingles! I am so sorry David. I should get the vaccine. I had chicken pox as a child, and hoped i wouldn't get shingles. My wife went through it a few years back, ow ow and more ows. I hope you are better soon, buddy.
I put this on my wish list: https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25201&catid=513

Hard Specs: 2600 gallon Masonry fish pond. Everything else in flux.
My life's Oxymoron: Retired workaholic :headbang: :support: :notworthy: :shifty:

PostPosted: Sep 4th, '17, 00:15 

Are you human?: YES
Yep, shingles is not fun - hope you heal fast. On the up side it definitely varies in intensity from person to person so maybe yours' will be mild.

PostPosted: Sep 12th, '17, 08:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Thanks people, I was lucky this time. 99% cleared up now and I got off easy on the pain. Rash was on my face, but seems okay now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 04:32 
Legend Member
Legend Member

I was tempted to start a new thread with this, but since it's just an observation with limited value I'll just add it to this thread.

A few post ago I have a picture of "Happy Worms." Well one night I checked on them and they were gone. That's weird because they usually double at night. I thought something was up so I checked my water parameters, and sure enough the pH was way low, around 5.0. So over the next few days I adjusted it up, and sure enough when it got back towards 6ish the worms came back. Worms as pH indicator? Not sure but very interesting.

I guess I should check my water parameters a little more often than a few times a year. That's especially true on the smaller systems. The bigger system seems very stable. But it's when your not looking that a sudden issue catches you by surprise! Like last night when I had an overflowing GB - blasted tomato roots! The sure grow fast once inside the media guard!!

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 14th, '17, 21:10 
Legend Member
Legend Member

it is hard to not want to share information from Ryan's course, but look into flow rates and this page to run numbers (quickly)

http://www.1728.org/flowrate.htm

a larger diameter pipe without a corresponding flow rate can actually cause more of a solid build up instead of a self-cleaning action that can be achieved from a smaller diameter pipe with the same output flow rate inside.

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '17, 10:21 
Legend Member
Legend Member

BroHay wrote:
it is hard to not want to share information from Ryan's course, but look into flow rates and this page to run numbers (quickly)

a larger diameter pipe without a corresponding flow rate can actually cause more of a solid build up instead of a self-cleaning action that can be achieved from a smaller diameter pipe with the same output flow rate inside.

Adam

That's a great link and good info when you have a pump driving flow. I use this more since most of my flows are based on gravity:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/civil/hazen-williams_g

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '17, 10:33 
Legend Member
Legend Member

So I FINALLY created an Arduino control to switch my valves on a time schedule. I don't know why I've kinda been dreading this. I guess I thought it would be a huge deal to learn the programming, communication, loading programs, etc. But once I finally got the hardware and just did it, it really wasn't that hard. I used an Arduino 101 with a 4 relay shield. Now I directly program the time each valve stays open.

Here is a photo of the electronics and one of my valves:
Attachment:
Arduino.jpg
Arduino.jpg [ 87.5 KiB | Viewed 5871 times ]

Attachment:
Arduino Valve.jpg
Arduino Valve.jpg [ 69.38 KiB | Viewed 5871 times ]

Here is the code I used (time is in milliseconds):

//sketch AP Valves
int gbvr1 = 7;
int gbvr2 = 6;
int gbvr3 = 5;
int gutvr4 = 4;
float v1on = 720000;
float v2on = 720000;
float v3on = 960000;
int offDelay=500;

void setup ()
{
pinMode (gbvr1,OUTPUT);
pinMode (gbvr2,OUTPUT);
pinMode (gbvr3,OUTPUT);
pinMode (gutvr4,OUTPUT);

}
void loop ()
{
digitalWrite (gbvr1, HIGH);
delay (offDelay);
digitalWrite (gbvr2, LOW);
digitalWrite (gbvr3, LOW);
delay (v1on);

digitalWrite (gbvr2, HIGH);
delay (offDelay);
digitalWrite (gbvr1, LOW);
digitalWrite (gbvr3, LOW);
delay (v2on);

digitalWrite (gbvr3, HIGH);
delay (offDelay);
digitalWrite (gbvr1, LOW);
digitalWrite (gbvr2, LOW);
delay (v3on);
}

5 growbeds

9 kW Solar Electric 2011

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '17, 15:36 
Legend Member
Legend Member

dstjohn99 wrote:
BroHay wrote:

Adam

That's a great link and good info when you have a pump driving flow. I use this more since most of my flows are based on gravity:

http://www.calctool.org/CALC/eng/civil/hazen-williams_g
You can set it to gpm on the flow to get the velocity in ft/sec via gravity. Just have to get measured output. Going to go look @ link.

***can see where that is helpful if you have no output to measure and dealing with a closed system. Now I'll go look at past calcs to see if if how I measured matches your calculator.

I to have an arduino project, separate from AP, just not sure how to go about it. It'll have to wait until winter is here.

Adam

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '17, 22:42 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Fantastic improvement on your setup. Again you inspire us. Thanks Adam as well for the point in the right direction on flows.

Hard Specs: 2600 gallon Masonry fish pond. Everything else in flux.
My life's Oxymoron: Retired workaholic :headbang: :support: :notworthy: :shifty:

PostPosted: Sep 27th, '17, 23:55 

Inspiring!!

Do you use anything for pest control? anything from flies, gnats, to rodents, raccoons and cyotoe??

Do you add anything to your system for supplements?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next