All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Mar 6th, '15, 03:26 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Are you human?: Mostly
Brian,
You are welcome to join us Floridians. A lot of people *cough, cough* your age do it every year. LOL

Advertisement

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '15, 20:49 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: Series of particles
Thanks, one day perhaps, mostly I happy where I am, it's just working outside twisting wires in extreme weather that I hope to avoid. Once this earth-sheltered aquaponinics greenhouse is up and running it should provide us as well as fish and kale and collards a temperate environment to while away the hours and hopefully years of retirement. The good news is I think I'm getting very close. I'm already contemplating growbed construction

Hard Specs: 2600 gallon Masonry fish pond. Everything else in flux.
My life's Oxymoron: Retired workaholic :headbang: :support: :notworthy: :shifty:

PostPosted: Mar 6th, '15, 21:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Are you human?: yes
I said that a month ago too Brian.lol
Seriously, good luck. It's hard when there's no instruction manual to ignore. :D

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '15, 00:02 
A posting God
A posting God

Quote:
It's hard when there's no instruction manual to ignore.
nearly a paradox :dontknow:

My life's Oxymoron: Retired workaholic :headbang: :support: :notworthy: :shifty:

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '15, 01:52 
A posting God
A posting God

That's because I like to leave the instruction manual in the box until I absolutely need it. Most of the time, I don't need it, but in the case of the RAS, 1 of have been nice. I figure by the time I actually have it up and running, I'll be at Ryan's, and will learn some additional mistakes that I have made. Then can spend another week or so, fixing those. I figure the 1st harvest of tilapia should go for about $30.00 a pound and everything will work out. :D

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '15, 02:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Brian,

If you are using it as a retirement food store. Wouldn't it be wise to just go ahead and double the size now? Seeing as you have the land for it. you could eliminate a lot more of your coming food bills. Maybe a second adjoining greenhouse that isn't so ornate?

Coach,

It will be nice to finally meet you in person. I'll be at Ryan's workshop too.

PostPosted: Mar 7th, '15, 06:05 
A posting God
A posting God

FF, I was looking forward to meeting also. It should be a lot of fun, and a lot of great information. Ryan was one of the reason I started doing this crazy stuff. If it weren't for him and a few others on this great site, I could be happily drinking at the bar. Now, I either don't have time, am too tired from digging up pipes, or am too broke. :wink:

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '15, 14:58 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: Plant Zombie
Trade Secrets from Ryan - Can one of you two PM me some info on that class? If its not RAS specific or a bank breaker I may crash that party myself.

PH question - All tests were done with the API fresh water master kit... the original water was from our city water which test "out of the tap" at 7.8 PH / 2 Ammonia / 0 Nitrite and 2.5 Nitrate. <<That look normal to you guys?

During our 4 month build process it was turning water through the GBs while we built everything else for the FT DWC and filters. During this time we had topped off the system only twice (tap water) and the rest was filled from the many rain storms (5.5ph) we have collecting in the 6 exposed GBs and DWC draining to the shared sump. It seems to go down when it rains and up when I need to top it off with city water.

We started adding bottled ammonia Jan 5th to maintain 5ppm and maintained that with about 1 cup(.25lt)/week in our 2500lt system. Our PH dropped slowly and our nitrites spiked to 2-3ppm and Finally on Jan 23 we started seeing PH at 6.2 while nitrite dropped to 0 by Feb 21st. Unfortunately we never saw a nitrate reading above 5ppm because we seeded a little bit just to test the germination and it seems to be enough to keep that around 0-1ppm I expect due to plant population and they're starving.

Fish-The guy from the video above never contacted me back but my wonderful girlfriend has found another (craigslist) source and she is going on a mission to go pick up some fish tomorrow while I hang out with the tree trimming guy. This time it looks promising and we have solid plans. Although I really wanted to see that guy's system in person.

Fish Food - We are about to become the proud parents of a family of fish. And before I name each one of the cuddly little cute things and tell them bed time stories about how one day their father (that would be me) is going to spike their little fish brains, clean out their insides, before filleting and devouring them.... I need to figure out the healthiest feed for them.

While I started out attempting to find a DIY recipe I quickly noticed "fishmeal" occurring everywhere... the simple answer is assuming we have 20-30% fishmeal the rest can be a flour starch oil and a wide variety of kitchen/farm/garden scrap. And its a great way to slip in some extra vitamins and minerals which eventually will be part of my being or at least my dinner.

Now enter the complex world of fishmeal... where suddenly we have a giant hole in the world of AP sustainability. And the extraction process, in some places, is devastating to the local marine life. After some reading here I found a cool post here with this little bit from a very wise man...
Stuart Chignell wrote:
The essential nutrients that fish get from fish meal are not made by fish or any other animal they are made by plants. By growing the right plants the inefficiencies of all the intermediate steps can be skipped and the plants cultured and processed into fish food.

This has been done for prawns and shrimps and a fish meal free pellet is now being manufactured based upon the research of the CSIRO team that developed the methods. Having managed to eliminate fish meal from prawn food they are now directing their efforts towards fish.

Its a bit of contrast to what wikipedia explains as the source of fishmeal, but I believe the idea is the fish are getting those nutrients from plants and sea life then processing them and humans are at this point only able to extract the "fishmeal" from the fish. In other words it all goes back to the food chain and very small beginnings like plankton and shallow ocean plants. This may explain why I haven't seen any fishmeal farming in fresh water???

Anyway just as I'm reluctantly ready to order a big bag of fishmeal before its depleted, I read that it can spontaneously combust! No kidding... look it up yourself. But anyway that is ok because they've added ethoxyquin (C14H19NO) to block its chemical reaction. And ethoxyquin has got to be safe because its an accepted food additive in the US despite some liver issues. Ethoxyquin its not permitted for use in Australian foods or is it approved for use within in the European Union, but we all know those guys are just sipping a little too much tea over there, right?

Woah man, did I open a door I didn't even know about... this is like when I found out we owe China for the next several generations, or that there is no good team in politics, or that Pete Rose bet against his own team while the active manager. All I can say is thank God that Santa Claus is real.
:bigsmurf:

There will still be fish... and fishmeal... and ethoxyguin.

PostPosted: Mar 13th, '15, 23:22 
A posting God
A posting God

Quote:
Seeing as you have the land for it. you could eliminate a lot more of your coming food bills. Maybe a second adjoining greenhouse that isn't so ornate?
I've always done things a little at a time when it comes to spending money. The hole in solid rock is a good example, it didn't cost anything, I got in the best physical condition I've been in a decade and the hole just got bigger and realer, and lol about "could of been in the bar drinking," bit. Ain't that the truth? Another reason to plow on?

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 02:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Attachment:
there_will_be.jpg
there_will_be.jpg [ 516.78 KiB | Viewed 2834 times ]

I just received a text with this photo. This has been a long awaited moment. In about an hour my fish and some Italian girl :wink: are about to walk through my front door! Grazie mille!

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 11:09 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

We are having some newbie problems over this way, we had one fish that made it through to the RFF, and then after 4 times in and out of the FT we added a net basket drain cover that fits and seems to work. Now our drainage is not keeping up with the input and the overflow valve is bypassing the filters and DWC with about 50% of the volume directly back to the ST. I'm afraid we may have a MIA fish in the plumbing or our drain cover has caused a drastic change in water flow.

Unfortunately to test by removing the drain cover all together we already know fish can pass right through it, so we could remove it and see if it functions as "normal" and water level drops below the overflow valve like it has been for the past 4 months of testing! But doing so will risk a fish going on a little adventure of our plumbing and I will need to have a net in my RFF to catch the escapees.

We have been watching the DWC and both barrels to find the evidence of any changes or fish and can not seem to understand how adding a net basket would block up the bottom IBC drain enough to change the flow this much. Everything was fine last night. The fish look happy at least.

But we are going to modify that drain cover again to attempt to fix this. At the moment our method to change it is to literally climb into the FT with the fish, probably a bad idea but we didn't allow a second fish to go through to the RFF. We are also careful not to use any soap until we were done but now it looks like we're going to need another round of modifications.

I believe I might be best creating a new cover all together, we liked the net basket because it seemed to fit "like a glove" but that might be because its creating a seal, which could be the problem. We are going to remove it, trim on it some more and try again. If that doesn't work we will redesign a new cover that isn't so flush to the port.

I hope to fix this problem asap or I will be forced to reduce the flow to meet my new drainage capacity.

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 11:15 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Pond,

Ryan says it the best so here you go.
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aquaponic- ... 537?nomo=1

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 11:24 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

Remember all the FDA recalls, then remember that everything that they recall they once told us it was safe. I would rather go with the Aussie or EU food safe lists. Better tract record. :think:

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 11:27 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Thats a lot of beer money! But... $400 off for a spouse ticket.... either of you guys need a date?

I guess for 4 days the price is fair. I will discuss it with the boss lady. There is such a wealth of info BYAP already but in person it can help to exchange info faster especially if you two are going to be there at the same time as well.

PostPosted: Mar 14th, '15, 11:33 
Almost divorced
Almost divorced

I am no expert. Which is why I ponied up the money. I am just hoping for some of that information that is not easily passed along on BYAP. I would be severely unhappy if I learned nothing of value after dropping $1100 and change.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 408 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next