All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 01:29 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: YES
jholmes wrote:
Yeah, it looks like it's ¢3750/m (about $7/m for those unfamiliar with colones), and from the rolls I saw, I think you can order 100' or so per roll. The width looked about 6'.

I can live with that. The last good (pond) liner stuff I found in Ezcazú at a landscaping place, as I recall wanted ¢15,500 a meter... a square meter! So that's $23.56 USD / square yard -- about 8 or 9 times the price for the equivalent liner in a Home Depot in the US. The price of Pura Vida...

jholmes wrote:
What's the conference you are going to? I'm heading up to Berkeley in a couple of weeks for a Data Science (ed tech) conference. I'm trying to drum up support for creating curricula around aquaponics in schools. I think there's a great opportunity here.

In my case it's a devcon in Phoenix... My company makes an IP-PBX and while we don't really do any development in the area of focus for this developers conference, we've got some great CTI capabilities that have been popular with those that do, so I'm running a "vendor's booth" at the devcon to show off our phone system integration. Gives me a chance to go to the States and smuggle back two suitcases full of hard-to-find, low-cost, gifts, etc.

There have been several here active in the Aquaponics in School movement. Shewme71 who frequents the forum had a nice write up on some of his activities recently, and there are others...

Garden Education Org Uses Aquaponics to Grow Future Leaders

--
Sam

Jardín Acuaponía #1

Advertisement

PostPosted: Feb 1st, '17, 07:38 
Bordering on Legend
Bordering on Legend

Are you human?: yes
nosliwmas wrote:
jholmes wrote:
Yeah, it looks like it's ¢3750/m (about $7/m for those unfamiliar with colones), and from the rolls I saw, I think you can order 100' or so per roll. The width looked about 6'.

I can live with that. The last good (pond) liner stuff I found in Ezcazú at a landscaping place, as I recall wanted ¢15,500 a meter... a square meter! So that's $23.56 USD / square yard -- about 8 or 9 times the price for the equivalent liner in a Home Depot in the US. Sam

So a little research on Costa Rica for plastics.

Plastics Industry Expands in Costa Rica
http://www.centralamericadata.com/en/ar ... ca_Expands
In 2011, 300 companies sold products worth $314 million to 71 destinations, which is an increase of 57% compared to 2007.

inShare0 Tweet
The Costa Rican plastics manufacturing industry constitutes some 300 companies who traded more than 215 products abroad in 2011, whereas in 2007 there were only 248 companies selling around 212 products abroad.

"Items of plastic packaging, plastic sheets and plates, pipes and pipe fittings and plates for switches and outlets are the most popular products sold abroad," reports [url]Elfinancierocr.com[/url].

"Regarding the biggest companies, Panduit de Costa Rica, Durman Esquivel (subsidiary of Aliaxis Latin America), Proquinal, Yamber and CSI Closure Systems and Manufacturing, occupy the top five in terms of quantity of exports."

Plastic Suppliers (Companies) in Costa Rica

http://www.plastic1.com/plastic-supplie ... -rica.html

Plastics and plastic containers in Central America - CentralAmericaData The Regional Business Portal

http://en.centralamericadata.com/en/sea ... tainers%22

Another great source for plastic sheeting is the Screen Printing Industry

http://www.aspamembers.com/join-aspa.html

Manufacturing & Production Industries — costarica-information.com
costarica-information.com › About CR › Economy › Economic Sectors & Industries
A wide range of Costa Rican industries and businesses deal with the manufacturing of electronic, textile, plastics and chemicals, machinery, and assembly etc...

It looks like you probably have industries in your own country that can help you.

PostPosted: Apr 16th, '17, 01:06 

Are you human?: Yes
jholmes wrote:
I'm closer to getting my small iAVs system up and running so I thought that I'd post a Sketchup picture of what I have in mind. Still waiting for my tools to be delivered after almost 3 months in transit (mostly sitting in Cartago awaiting customs release). When they get here I'll be able to construct the wooden box that will hold my sand bed. I'll post updates as I progress.

Hey Jeff hows your iav System working ???????

PostPosted: Jun 19th, '17, 07:01 
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Are you human?: YES
I see it's been months since I last posted. We ended up buying a "fixer upper" house that needed (needs?!) more work than I first anticipated. However, the bulk of the critical stuff is almost done and I'm excited to break some ground on our lot where I'll be building a greenhouse, fish tanks, and a workshop. Can't wait to get started!

I had to take apart my small iAVS system when we moved - it had the wrong type of sand anyway. However, I did maintain a small bucket of water with some bacteria laden mesh. I've just been keeping it going with an airstone and an occasional dose of urea. Readings on a water sample today showed high nitrate levels so I'm hoping to use this to seed my new system.

Anyway, just wanted to say that I am still alive and still learning a lot from these forums!

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=27827

PostPosted: Jun 10th, '21, 04:42 
Legend Member
Legend Member

Are you human?: usually
Interesting read. I'm starting to transition from AP to iAVs. If your still out there Jeff we would like to hear some updates.

9 kW Solar Electric 2011 - Upgraded to 12 kW 2019

"Aquaponics...solar-powered nanotechnology that produces fresh vegetables and meat, while purifying water..." - Rick Op, Houston Texas.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9